• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television The Knick

JoeTheStoner

Bluelighter
In New York City in 1900, the Knickerbocker Hospital operates with innovative surgeons, nurses and staff who have to overcome medicinal limitations to prevent staggeringly high mortality rates. Dr. John Thackery (partially based on historical figure, William Stewart Halsted), the newly appointed leader of the surgery staff, battles his cocaine and opium addictions with his ambition for medical discovery and reputation among his peers. Dr. Algernon Edwards, a Harvard-educated, European-trained black surgeon (partially based on the historical Marshall Taylor), must fight for respect within the all-white-populated hospital, as well as the racially-charged city. While literally struggling to keep the lights on, the hospital attempts to attract a wealthy clientele, without sacrificing quality care.

gave this a chance tonight and diggin it. i just love period tv/film with great set and costume design. it's something i never really thought about tbh, the trials and error it took for modern medicine to get to where it's at today, interesting. soderberg directing, clive owen starring, this could be good.

Last edited:
its like Contagion in 1900. 1st episode was ...where is episode 2? Pretty good. Matt Freuer. Rad Cliff Martinez soundtrack.

episode 2 is online... usual sources. the score trips me out,sounds i wouldn't expect to hear for something set in 1900.

Its interesting that Clive Owen's character has a historical reference. He later on became one of the founding fathers of Jon Hopkins.

^ that i did not know.

and holy fuck its saturday lol, that means new knick was last night... woohoo

I am loving all the newly released series which are releasing this year. The knick is one of them, Falling skies is also pretty fine t.v. series.

Definitely into this show, and i agree the score is pretty dope.

One problem i have is are we really supposed to believe thackerys shooting coke and not dope or some other shit? Since when does coke give you withdrawals like we saw in the first episode? And dont we see him constantly spending his free time in something resembling an opiate den?

yea, i recall the scene you are talking about when the shot of coke cured his w/d. not really sure what to make of it, i can look past it if its not accurate portrayal of i.v. cocaine / opium addiction. a scene like that i think was just there to establish what type of character we are dealing with. we got it now, he is smart/crazy doctor with a serious drug addiction to feed.

i enjoy watching these discussions, recaps of the show on youtube, "what the flick" channel

missed e08 last night, going to check it out now.

best new show in decades, i cant believe theres only 10 episodes per season tho, thats a huge bummer cuz this show is amazing. but yeah it was weird seeing a coke head with what looked like opiate withdrawal lol

Love this show. The music score is a bit meh but otherwise great. I love time period dramas, and time period dramas where recreational drug use is an element is even awesomer.

LOL. I know its not meant to be but...

I LOL'd when he tried to extract cocaine from used coca-cola bottles. They didn't have THAT much coke. The smoking of opium scene gave me a stiffy.

episode 9 was such a tease. almost got him to rock bottom, he gets saved every time tho! damnit

I fucking love this show!
After watching the first episode,I told my wife about it and we`ve been watching the series together ever since. I`m digging the soundtrack too.
As a former heroin addict,my dope boner twangs every time there`s a opium den scene. I would have loved to smoke a few bowls down in that dark,red basement.

^ i bet that d-boner twang, twanged hard at that last scene of the finale.

great way to end the season and set shit up for dos. show is a win imo. hope yall enjoyed it as much as i =)

o and big props to the set/costume designers, this shit is beautiful to watch.

I finally had the free time to watch the season finale last night. Great episode!

Joe,you were correct Sir! That finale scene did indeed make my dope boner twang!

Wow, just finished Ep 2 season 2.
Made me think of life before BlueLight.

Definitely worth the watch IMO.