The Hungry Ghost

thanks alley. and anything that helps you get through is never lame. When im feeling down i use drugs, how lame does that sound? a lot more lame than making a list, and a lot more destructive.
Thanks for the advice :)

I think we create some of those "holes" in our minds. Like when your brain gets used to a chemical and creates extra receptors, and therefore we have tolerance. I think sometimes we have, for lack of a better word, imaginary problems, like not being "smart enough" (for what?) or attractive enough "for whom"). There is no magic pill that will transform you into all of these things, but you can try to accept yourself for who you are. Sometimes when I'm feeling bad about myself, I make a list of like 10 things that I am grateful for or that I like about myself. Sounds lame, I know, but it really does help me. Most of the time, other people don't even notice these so-called flaws we think we have (it's called the "spotlight effect"). Take care!

That doesn't sound lame to me at all! Sounds like a great strategy and one that builds over time. Self acceptance gets easier and easier the more you take the baby steps towards it. There is simply no way to compare how hard this was for me as a teenager and young adult and how much easier it has become now that I am pushing 60. What I am trying to say is that it is a process, like everything else. You have the original goal(self acceptance) and then you set your compass and start walking towards that goal. Gratitude for what you are, changing negative self-talk and challenging the media-driven mass insanity that is culture are three good steps to take.

/\ link doesn't work for me?

Didn't get a chance to read all the way through this thread, but absolutely love Gabor Mate and his teachings. His concept of "Being with your pain" was a major influence on my thinking about drug use/abuse. Would definitely recommend watching some of his many videos on youtube or reading one of his books.