• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The High Cost of Shutting Down One Medical Marijuana Operation

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew

A single prosecution can easily run more than $1 million -- all to send an empty message about federal drug laws and hand the market share over to a less savory purveyor.

When Matthew R. Davies was growing and selling medical marijuana in California, the 34-year-old father of two "hired accountants, compliance lawyers, managers, a staff of 75 and a payroll firm. He paid California sales tax and filed for state and local business permits," the New York Times reports. Unfortunately for him, federal agents raided his business, and "the United States attorney for the Eastern District of California, Benjamin B. Wagner, a 2009 Obama appointee, wants Mr. Davies to agree to a plea that includes a mandatory minimum of five years in prison." Let's set the legal questions aside and think through the costs of this course:

- The opportunity cost of focusing on other crimes
- $235,000 in incarceration costs
- Two young girls with an absent father
- Substantial lost tax revenue from his operation
- Other marijuana sellers going underground
- Less savory drug dealers, including violent cartels, getting more business
- More of a hassle for sick medical marijuana patients to get their prescription filled

Doesn't that seem awfully "expensive" when the only real benefit is sending the message that you can't get away with openly flouting federal drug laws? If that's the biggest benefit you can plausibly claim, isn't that a sign that the law should change? After all, it isn't as if anyone believes that sending Davies to jail is going to make victory in the drug war any more plausible. Or appreciably decrease the number of people smoking marijuana. Or even significantly diminish the supply, since there's always another person growing on the black market.

All casualties are purposeless when you're fighting an unwinnable war.

Later in the article, we learn that "two of Mr. Davies's co-defendants are pleading guilty, agreeing to five-year minimum terms, to avoid stiffer sentences." Wow. So the federal government thinks it's worth investing more than a million dollars to shut down this particular operation. Maybe you're sympathetic to marijuana legalization, or maybe you're against it. Regardless, could you spend that $1 million-plus better? Could you spend it in a way that saved more lives or created more happiness or resulted in more justice meted out than jailing these three?

I could.

One of Davies's employees, who met him after seeking marijuana to help her through ovarian and cervical cancer, gave this quote to the reporter: "I totally trusted them. We're not criminals. I've never been arrested my whole life. I need that medication, and so do a whole lot of people."

cont at
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-down-one-medical-marijuana-operation/267127/

i really dont understand the point
in my city you can find a dispensary almost every few blocks, how do they choose who to target

He paid California sales tax

Damn him for actually paying taxes! :!

The federal government wants very badly to see the California state government go bankrupt; and shutting down dispensaries is just one of their ways of trying to shut down the local economy out here. Of course, it back fires on them miserably.

how do they choose who to target

He became too successful too quickly.

i really dont understand the point
in my city you can find a dispensary almost every few blocks, how do they choose who to target
Depending on the county, there are a lot of finicky rules and clauses that most clinics just say fuck it and don't pay attention to. Like over here clinics can't be store front property, meaning they can't be visible from a Main Street and you have to enter from the back alley all sketch like. Usually the ones that dont follow these county rules are the ones they get complained about and the shit rolls down hill.

But also like CH said, even if you follow the rules and get to big/popular you usually gain a target and they'll find some reason to target them.