the difference between lawyer and attorney?

CuriousCub

Bluelighter
The dictionary defines them differently, but not definitively....it just uses different phrasing for the terms.
So what really is the difference?

Most people use them interchangeably, and that's an acceptable usage of the terms in most circles.

But there is a technical difference: A lawyer is any person who is licensed to practice law.

But strictly speaking, an attorney is someone who is actually representing a client, or acting as a legal agent. People sometimes use the term "attorney in fact" to indicate that they are referring to the strict/technical definition.

So you can be a lawyer without being an "attorney in fact" if you never actually represent anyone. And you can be an "attorney in fact" without actually being a lawyer -- by representing yourself!

:)

I think I've heard it said that an attorney is a lawyer with a client (or vice versa--my memory is bad).

~psychoblast~

psychoblast said:
I think I've heard it said that an attorney is a lawyer with a client (or vice versa--my memory is bad).

Almost but not quite -- as I've pointed out, you can be an attorney without being a lawyer if you're representing yourself and you're not licensed to practice law.

for such a technical difference, that sure is a significant one --significant enough to warrant that the terms should NOT be used interchangably.

PottedMeat said:
My understanding is that the word "attorney" is Italian for lawyer.

the italian word for lawyer is "avvocato"

alasdair