• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids The connection between oxycodone and oxytocin

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
Surprisingly, Google was not helpful in my attempts to research this, so can someone please help me understand the connection ( assuming there is one and Google didn’t have a good reason to be confused). I know oxytocin is released when people form meaningful connections and that parents have very high levels of it just after their children are born. So, now I’m curious if a lack of meaningful connection makes one more susceptible to OxyContin/ oxycodone addiction and opiate addiction in general on a neurotransmitter level ( like if it’s possible that some people start taking one to make up for low levels of the other. Thanks

Ive never heard this before so I’m curious as to where you formed an opinion about this to start with...

What opinion? Are you asking about what I said about oxytocin? I would have to find citations for you but I’m quoting documentaries I have seen in college classes and textbooks
My question about whether oxycodone is connected stems from how the words look similar but it’s a question rather than a fully formed opinion. Just from google like straight off the top of the results, here’s a link to one article on how oxytocin is related to relationships https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/be-mine-forever-oxytocin/

Last edited:
There might be a connection between oxytocin and the opioid system but it doesn't have anything to do with the name similarities between oxycodone and oxytocin.

The name oxycodone can be understood by comparing its structure to codeine.

The prefix "OXY" means there's an extra hydroxy (alcohol) group, you can see it in red.
The suffix "ONE" means there's a ketone instead of a hydroxy group, you can see it in blue.

Last edited:
Yup the similarities in naming is pure coincidence. That said someone lacking proper oxytocin functionality does probably take to opiates more than someone who doesn’t.

Oxytocin is an interesting one that has a huge overall effect on our social functioning, human bonding, and more. Everything from bonding a mother to their child to the dopamine release which occurs when we give another a gift, if it’s related to social interaction oxytocin is probably behind the scenes.

-GC

Thanks for your replies. I found some journal articles that were on studies of whether oxytocin nasal spray would help with preventing relapse of methadone clients. They were trying to figure it out based off a mouse model so the jury is still out.

Thanks for your replies. I found some journal articles that were on studies of whether oxytocin nasal spray would help with preventing relapse of methadone clients. They were trying to figure it out based off a mouse model so the jury is still out.

That’s quite interesting.

I believe it is safe to say and a good assumption that the cause for one to develop an opiate addiction could be because of lack of “love” in their life. I mean many people, myself included definitely seek these feelings or try to escape from the lack of these feelings should I say.

I mean when I first got addicted to Oxycodone I was facing prison time at 18 and had a highly stressful court case my entire senior year of high school.

The only question is though, why is it that those who are in meaningful relationships (like myself) and achieve sobriety still often relapse even with a good partner in their life? I’ve had a girlfriend by my side for 5 years who loves me and I love her but it hasn’t stopped me from relapsing and using opiates.