• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

The Book of Mormon

TheDeceased

Ex-Bluelighter
Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park, were one nomination shy of the record ("Billy Elliot" and "The Producers" had fifteen nominations in their day.)

"The Book of Mormon", follows a pair of missionaries who travel to Africa to spread the good word.

The nominations include: best original score and best director. Trey Parker himself was nominated for three different categories... Now I understand why South Park has been kind of shit recently. Parker has been directing a Tony award nominated Broadway musical.

Man I wish I lived in the US. Don't know if this is going to make it to Australia any time soon. I love Parker's music - everything from ''Cannibal!'' to ''Bigger, Longer & Uncut'' (and to a lesser extent ''Team America'') - But I fear I may never get to see this on stage.

Don't delete this thread. Although it is not directly related to film and television, the play was written and directed by the creator of a wildly popular TV show... and there is nowhere else on this site to discuss theater.

Anyone gone to see this yet? What did you think?

Anyone in the US planning on seeing it? If not, why the fuck not?

Matt and trey should do a live action movie. I bet it would be hilarious and id actually get to see it , instead its some play that i will never watch.

I don't know where in California you live, but The Book of Mormon is coming to San Diego, Los Angeles and Las Vegas (among many other US cities) so it should only take you an hour or two to get there...

instead its some play that i will never watch

Why? It's been called the best play of the 21st century and it's going to be in your area. The tickets are kind of expensive (roughly $150 for a good seat) but I take it you don't go to much theater anyway, so just consider that $150 your entire theater budget for the year.

I don't understand why more American's don't see live theatrical performances more often. All year round you can see top actors on stage or in this case a play written and produced by the creators of South Park. When (or if) the productions make it to Australia, the cast is generally replaced by relatively unknown local theater actors or TV personalities. If I lived in the US (and I will very soon) I'd be going to shit loads of off-Broadway productions.

Broadway has been swamped with adaptations of films and TV shows recently (The Lion King, Billy Elliot, The Addams Family, Sister Act, Mary Poppins & Priscilla Queen of the Desert - to name a few). The Book of Mormon received the highest number of nominations for an original play, of all time. If you like South Park and you live a major US city, what's your excuse? I don't get it.

Im just not into theater to be honest with you. I would see it if it was in my town since im a huge fan of matt and trey and i loved the mormon episode. But im not going to travel 4 hours to LA for a play.

Hopefully they make it into a Musical, im sure it would be hilarious. I couldnt stop laughing when i saw this poster
The_Book_Of_Mormon_1296581127.jpg

Fair enough on the 4 hours thing, I guess, though in this case it'd probably be worth it. Although it's technically theater, I can't imagine it being much like Shakespeare...

Have you seen American movies? Many people have grown up with a concept of entertainment that paints theater as dull. Also, $150 is a ton of money for a poor person to spend on one ticket, especially if they do not yet know if they will enjoy theater.

Surprisingly I have seen a couple of American films and TV shows and while there are many idiotic American characters within such programs that regard theater to be dull, like Peter Griffin for example, the point is (as is usually the case with Griffin) ironic. The fact that American audiences are so attuned to highly visual mediums is not something to celebrate. Although the Homer Simpsons or the Peter Griffins of the world may describe theater as dull, the writers and voices of those characters are themselves theater buffs and/or performers. In the case of writer's actually generalizing that theater is dull in a non-ironic manner: they either haven't been exposed to good contemporary theater or they are idiots. You can say a play is dull. Or a novel. To say that theater (or literature) is dull is ignorant, which is why ignorant American TV and film characters make the observation.

Obviously if you're poor, $150 is a bit of money. I wasn't pitching Broadway to the impoverished.

I hate musicals but I'm intrigued. I couldn't find any info on when they are playing it in california. This is something I'd definitely want to check out.

Surprisingly I have seen a couple of American films and TV shows and while there are many idiotic American characters within such programs that regard theater to be dull, like Peter Griffin for example, the point is (as is usually the case with Griffin) ironic. The fact that American audiences are so attuned to highly visual mediums is not something to celebrate. Although the Homer Simpsons or the Peter Griffins of the world may describe theater as dull, the writers and voices of those characters are themselves theater buffs and/or performers. In the case of writer's actually generalizing that theater is dull in a non-ironic manner: they either haven't been exposed to good contemporary theater or they are idiots. You can say a play is dull. Or a novel. To say that theater (or literature) is dull is ignorant, which is why ignorant American TV and film characters make the observation.

Obviously if you're poor, $150 is a bit of money. I wasn't pitching Broadway to the impoverished.

I can enjoy theater, I don't necessarily view it as a higher form of art though. Wasn't The Producers a movie before it was a play?

I don't think the theater crowd is necessarily any more intelligent than the television crowd, it actually seems to be more of a status thing that separates the two. I think that theater can be stupid and television can be pompous just as much as the opposite is true, it just depends on the individual work and the target audience. Surely you see what is wrong with comparing cartoons to Broadway...

Rumoured to be hitting the west end at some point, will make the mission over to london if so for sure :)

I can enjoy theater, I don't necessarily view it as a higher form of art though. Wasn't The Producers a movie before it was a play?

Yeah I don't think that theater is "better" than film or television. It depends on the play, film or television show... The Producers was indeed a movie before it was a play (and then a movie again). Lots of hit TV shows and films are being adapted to the stage.

I don't think the theater crowd is necessarily any more intelligent than the television crowd, it actually seems to be more of a status thing that separates the two.

I'd say in general that the theater crowd probably is more intelligent/ or at least have a higher level of education. I find that films, in order to be produced, given the high budgets required in comparison to plays, tend to compromise the integrity of the writing a little more (IN GENERAL! obviously there are exceptions). Theater revolves around the written word much more than film does. You don't see many Jean Claude Van Dam type plays.

Surely you see what is wrong with comparing cartoons to Broadway.

I didn't compare the two until now. What I was saying earlier was that the major cartoons (the good, satirical ones) don't portray theater in a negative light. The point is generally ironic. But, if I had to compare the two, there are some clear differences. Also if I was to compare comic books to literary novels, there would be some pretty clear differences. So, although I actually didn't compare the two, I don't really see what's wrong with doing so in the context of this discussion.

It is unfortunate that theater's reputation has been so tainted that the majority of people, without ever bothering to actually experience it, are convinced that it is dull or not worth their time - especially as it is at least partially the (extremely) ironic result of misunderstanding irony. It's a little sad.

People aren't hesitant to experience cartoons. Nor should they be to experience theater. There are only so many forms of art in the world. Why not experience them all, at least once?

Rumoured to be hitting the west end at some point, will make the mission over to london if so for sure

Awesome. Be sure to tell us what you think.

I understand what you're saying now... Sorry for the confusion.

Can't wait to see this. Has anyone read the book of Mormon? It's a wild ride. If not, do it. You will be engrossed and shattered in disbelief, however, a definite book to read.

uh oh mods! better close the thread quick! lol. and yes I have read PARTS of the book of mormon, or had the same parts read over and over to me with little to no benefit, along with a huge room full of crying babies and people of a religion which shall not be named. CATHOLICS OF COURSE. WHAT OTHER RELIGION WOULD PERPETUALLY AND INCESSANTLY READ THE BOOK OF MORMON OUT LOUD FOR THE CONGREGATION. lol, my ex shroom dealer was the last guy to recommend I read the bookofmormon. and he was SCUM