Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The Bhagavad Gita; favorite verses

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
What are your favorite passages from the Bhagavad Gita? Some of the verses are very poetic and descriptive. And the message that the Self is infinite and within every living being, is clear. One of my favorite spiritual texts.

One I enjoy:

"Arjuna, I am the taste of pure water and the radiance of the sun and moon. I am the sacred word and the sound heard in air, and the courage of human beings. I am the sweet fragrance in the earth and the radiance of fire; I am the life in every creature and the striving of the spiritual aspirant."

I have this line tattooed on the chest:

"Do thou fight for the sake of
fighting, without considering happiness or distress, loss or gain, victory or defeat—and, by so doing, you shall never incur sin."

Perfect summation of how life should be lived - as it is, for it's own sake.

“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds”

Very cliche but it's the only one I know off the top of my head.
Although I think more proper translation is:

"Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds..."

But as Shiva is aspect of Krishna as the destroyer of the worlds, Kali is expression of Shiva that represents time by which all things are destroyed (perish in time) and Yama, Lord of death, is further expression of Shiva and Kali, this translation stands. And it is more catchy to say when blowing up a nuke.

But this is why it is important to understand that names of "Gods" are actually names of forces and that Vedas are actually scientific texts if read with knowledge. But I will not go in that direction...

Please do I read there is actually descriptions on how to build spaceships for a lack of a better word in there
I don't want to derail a thread. Text's are written in Sanskrit and there are very little people left who know to read it properly. I don't have access to full knowledge (don't even know Hindi) but what is written is all in accordance with modern day physics. They had concept of zero long before westerners. In fact Brahma (the creator) is 1(positive), Vishnu (the persever) is 0 (neutral) and Shiva (the destroyer) is -1(negative). That are the basics. I can not go even into what I understand cause it would take pages and is not even communicable through this kind of writing, but there is some knowledge written in the Vedas that makes one wonder. But one has to replace Gods, as we understand them, with actual forces of uni or multi verse. Krishna, for example, is "that which attracts all", and could be read on one level as a phenomena we call "black hole". But I must stop here cause I am going off topic and will not be able to communicate this way anyway. Sorry. :)

Being a thread I started, I don't mind if it wanders off topic into a general conversation about Hinduism. I'm still learning about it and would love to hear people's thoughts. Either way.

"If there should rise
Suddenly within the skies
Sunburst of a thousand suns
Flooding earth with beams undeemed of,
Then might be that Holy One's
Majesty and radiance dreamed of" X1:12

AsI get older I am around a lot of people that are dying. One of my favorite sayings to some of them that never gave a thought to any form of spirituality is when you wake up and feel really good, better than ever and your troubles seem to be gone then you will know you have dropped your body. :D That seems to make them feel better.

The Gita parallels a lot of the new testament of the Bible. Except was 3000 years earlier.