• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

The Artworks That Define Your Drug Use

dirzted

Bluelighter
Hello all,
Over my years of using, a few paintings have come to define different eras of my life, and I wanted to hear about other works that people have formed a connection to throughout their careers as drug users.

I'll go first,
Painting: "Garden of Earthly Delights" - Hieronymus Bosch (c. 1503-15)

I stumbled across a poster of this painting shortly after taking mushrooms for the first time when I was 15, and though it had been a few days since the experience, I was nonetheless in that after-state of openness that often characterizes the proceeding days of a psychedelic trip. Anyhow, I was in a friend's room and was fairly amused by this painting as my staring at it seemed to trigger a minor sort of flashback that made me recall my recent trip. I remember seeing how the left panel was the innocent Garden of Eden, and that it depicted the moment when Adam takes the apple from Eve. The center panel is then a sort of "middle earth," which shows a fantastical array of hedonistic pleasures. The right panel follows this fantasy land of sin with a horrific wasteland of torture and destruction that is meant to reflect the landscape of hell. In my state of open and engaged consciousness, I seemed to perceive the future trajectory of my life in painted form, with my recent misadventures on mushrooms being the first of many encounters with the "sinful fruit" of mind-altering substances that would eventually lead me to a land of great pleasure, but also great pain.

As I continued onto my path of drug addiction, I came to see this moment in my life as more and more significant. Now when I see the painting, I recall that past time of innocence which is now so far away, just as Bosch's self portrait in the painting (the "egg man" in the middle of the right-side panel) looks back to the scene in the Garden of Eden with an expression of longing--longing for a time before judgement has exacted the inevitable payment of innocence from those who face it.

I'd love to hear similar stories from fellow bluelighters who have had powerful encounters with other works of art.

The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Hieronymus_Bosch.jpg

Last edited:
When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I had a very rough run of migraines. The painting I always associated with that time period was (and I can't remember the name of it but it sounded like it looked) by Van Gogh and it's an elongated face in horrible pain. Lots of blue, some yellow and white too. It always reminded me of myself. Any art aficionado will probably know the painting's name off the top of their head.

Not sure, I actually thought it was predominantly blue. I'm going to go look for it now. Thanks though.

I can't find it and now it's really bothering me. The face was stretched out long ways and I'm pretty sure it was mostly blue. It actually used to be on the front page of a website years ago dealing with pain or migraines. Sorry everyone, I seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent.

I like this one from alex grey, it reminds me of my DMT trips. I found out about his paintings when I started experimenting with psychedelics.
Sunyata-Alex-Grey.jpg

Another one that resonnates with me and my drug use is "The woman in gold" by Gustav Klimt. There's just something about it but I wouldn't know how to explain it haha. I usually draw the same kind of patterns when I'm high (the eyes, triangles, etc...).
Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I had a very rough run of migraines. The painting I always associated with that time period was (and I can't remember the name of it but it sounded like it looked) by Van Gogh and it's an elongated face in horrible pain. Lots of blue, some yellow and white too. It always reminded me of myself. Any art aficionado will probably know the painting's name off the top of their head.

Well it doesn't look like BL is letting me post all the images I want to (I have quite a few) so I'm just gonna post the two that work here:

Although the color scheme is different from what you describe, it is nonetheless the self portrait with what I would consider the most overt physical pain since it depicts the bandage from his recent "ear incident" if you catch my drift:
Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self_portrait_with_bandaged_ear_F529.jpg

And this is a portrait of the peasant Patience Escalier from 1888 that seems like it would possibly fit your criteria:
Vincent_van_Gogh_Portrait_of_a_Peasant.jpg

Other possibilities which you can look up yourself:
"Self Portrait with Straw Hat" from 1887

"Self Portrait" from 1889 (the one in the National Gallery, London)

Anddddd although this doesn't have a figure in it the painting is generally considered one of his darkest (especially since it's one of the last paintings he completed prior to killing himself) and it also follows your general color scheme: "Wheatfield with Crows" (1890)
Vincent_Van_Gogh_-_Wheatfield_with_Crows.jpg

Last edited:
I like this one from alex grey, it reminds me of my DMT trips. I found out about his paintings when I started experimenting with psychedelics.
Sunyata-Alex-Grey.jpg

Another one that resonnates with me and my drug use is "The woman in gold" by Gustav Klimt. There's just something about it but I wouldn't know how to explain it haha. I usually draw the same kind of patterns when I'm high (the eyes, triangles, etc...).
Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

Ya Alex Grey is amazing at producing that heavily geometric psychedelic style. Klimt also has an emphasis on geometry that I like, as well as his immaculate use of gold that is so visually compelling.

If you're fond of Grey and Klimt I'd recommend this early painting by Piet Mondrian that contains both geometric and mystical elements:
"Evolution" (1911)
Mondrian%2C_Evolution_%28Triptychon%29%2C_1911.jpg

@dirzted Never heard of him, I'll look into it!

Another artist that openly paints about psychedelics is Paulo Amaringo. His work is pretty good IMO.
llullon-llaki-supai-pablo-amaringo.jpg
6667882163_f247d020b2_b.jpg

We also have the impressionists like Claude Monet, his paintings might not be inspired by drugs but there's something mind-altering about them.
jardin-monet-vetheuil.jpg
monet-puente-japones.jpg

Peter Max
307a51d5d94933a40f591f97ab80effa.jpg

Rick Griffin
unk04.jpg

Frank Stella
frank-stella-untitled.jpg

unknown artist (blotter art)
4a4ca286358c366e6330373bee28298c.jpg

bad trips

H R Giger

landscape-xix.jpg

a1.png

Last edited:
@GaryGlisten oh man those last ones are intense "bad trip" is quite the understatement if you end up in a place like that! Very fascinating work though obviously a talented artist. Not sure if you have a story you want to share about why you chose that because if it at all connects to a psychedelic experience you had it sounds like that would sure make for a good story haha

Also shoutout to Frank Stella just saw some of his works in person and they really pop more than you'd think if you just see them online so def appreciate you posting that.

I had a very bad trip back in 1984 at a festival (I was 19). I had taken LSD two days in a row and not eaten very much and had been drinking a lot of scrumpy (unsweetened fermented apple juice). A group of us, people who were older and more experienced than me who I hadn't known for very long were sitting around a camp fire passing joints around and one guy was doing hot knives for everyone. My brain by this time was feeling very frazzled and I was having these very disturbing insane fucked up thoughts with creepy cartoon-like images in my mind. I was virtually unable to hold a conversation other than to say yes or no..the guy who was doing the hot knives was talking all the time and I felt like I just had nothing to say, nothing in my brain, like it was broken. I was starting to freak out with eye contact and stuff. Anyway this guy offered me a hot knife and like a fool I accepted even though I didn't really want it, I didn't know how to refuse. After I did it I swallowed and felt this kind of snap in my throat and a white flash in my brain and felt as though i was at the edge of a razor-edged abysss which was in my throat. I was imagining all these horrific gory, torturous things. I kept trying to think of something pleasant but these awful things kept coming into my mind. I felt that I was damned, this was it, I'd made the big mistake and this was how it was going to end. I could see/feel this image of my throat leading down into the pit of Hell I felt like I was hanging on by a thread and I was praying to God to please not let me fall down into myself. Every time I swallowed I would feel like a sensation of razors in my throat and twisting blades in other parts of my body. The world seemed to be composed of these really nasty, evil looking, depressing colours, dark greens and reds. I felt like a camera that was observing everything, my vision was kind of jerky, snapping from one view to the next, not smooth.
To make it worse I was also experiencing terrible guilt and worry about my younger brother who was also at this festival. I had been with him a couple of hours earlier and he was tripping too but his voice was really freaking me out...when I spoke to him his voice sounded the same as mine and I couldn't deal with it so I split off from him. I was now worried that he might be lying in a ditch somewhere dead and it would be all my fault. It was the longest night of my life, time seemed to stand still. It actually makes me feel nervous revisiting this topic now, I don't like to dwell on the experience. For a long time after I was worried about it happening again and smoking cannabis always would always make me very anxious.
I knew that i needed to take LSD again to reset myself and the next trip I took was actually ok.

This image evokes the feeling of terror very well.
in-the-court-of-the-crimson-king-an-observation-by-king-crim-4ec8c9076271d.jpg

Last edited:
I had a very bad trip back in 1984 at a festival (I was 19). I had taken LSD two days in a row and not eaten very much and had been drinking a lot of scrumpy (unsweetened fermented apple juice). A group of us, people who were older and more experienced than me who I hadn't known for very long were sitting around a camp fire passing joints around and one guy was doing hot knives for everyone. My brain by this time was feeling very frazzled and I was having these very disturbing insane fucked up thoughts with creepy cartoon-like images in my mind. I was virtually unable to hold a conversation other than to say yes or no..the guy who was doing the hot knives was talking all the time and I felt like I just had nothing to say, nothing in my brain, like it was broken. I was starting to freak out with eye contact and stuff. Anyway this guy offered me a hot knife and like a fool I accepted even though I didn't really want it, I didn't know how to refuse. After I did it I swallowed and felt this kind of snap in my throat and a white flash in my brain and felt as though i was at the edge of a razor-edged abysss which was in my throat. I was imagining all these horrific gory, torturous things. I kept trying to think of something pleasant but these awful things kept coming into my mind. I felt that I was damned, this was it, I'd made the big mistake and this was how it was going to end. I could see/feel this image of my throat leading down into the pit of Hell I felt like I was hanging on by a thread and I was praying to God to please not let me fall down into myself. Every time I swallowed I would feel like a sensation of razors in my throat and twisting blades in other parts of my body. The world seemed to be composed of these really nasty, evil looking, depressing colours, dark greens and reds. I felt like a camera that was observing everything, my vision was kind of jerky, snapping from one view to the next, not smooth.
To make it worse I was also experiencing terrible guilt and worry about my younger brother who was also at this festival. I had been with him a couple of hours earlier and he was tripping too but his voice was really freaking me out...when I spoke to him his voice sounded the same as mine and I couldn't deal with it so I split off from him. I was now worried that he might be lying in a ditch somewhere dead and it would be all my fault. It was the longest night of my life, time seemed to stand still. It actually makes me feel nervous revisiting this topic now, I don't like to dwell on the experience. For a long time after I was worried about it happening again and smoking cannabis always would always make me very anxious.
I knew that i needed to take LSD again to reset myself and the next trip I took was actually ok.

Wow that's quite the bad trip, and does warrant the above imagery. When you're in the pit of a bad acid trip it seems like every fiber of existence is meant to provoke terror. Glad you were able to sort yourself out later though!

This pretty much sums up the last year or so of my meth use... sequestered away In my home, paranoid and unable to sleep for weeks at a time.

insomnia_by_astharr.jpg

Both of the above are very haunting^^^
Can definitely see how drugs can make one familiar with images such as those.

It would be absolutely impossible to say that much of Alex Grey's paintings are so incredibly derived or inspired by DMT as to be almost inseparable