• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Policy The Alberta government is privatizing recovery data

Landrew

Bluelighter

The government gave sole source contracts to a private addiction recovery house in BC for an app that obscures patient outcome data from the public, the health system and the government.​

EUAN THOMSON
12 DEC 2023

Last Door Recovery Society, a private abstinence-oriented recovery organization based in New Westminster, BC, has control of patient data from Alberta’s addiction treatment system, according to Alberta Health.

A Freedom of Information request submitted to the Alberta government’s Ministry of Mental Health & Addiction asked how many early discharges from addiction facilities occurred in Alberta from 2015 to 2023 and why people were discharged. The initial reply from the Ministry asserted that it holds “no responsive records.”

As follow-up, I asked if the search was conducted within My Recovery Plan, the government’s newly implemented system for monitoring Alberta’s so-called ‘recovery-oriented system of care.’ The Ministry responded that "My Recovery Plan (MRP) is a proprietary product of the Last Door Recovery Society” and that “only publicly funded addiction recovery service providers who use MRP, such as Alberta Health Services, have access.

I downloaded the app and it has a six digit password. What could go wrong?

Passwords-chart-1384x727.png