• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The 5 Levels of the Psychedelic Experience and the 10 Step Path

TheDeepUnreal

Greenlighter
I have come to notice some very striking parallels between the Levels (especially if the 5 Levels were split into 10) and the Steps of Franz Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics (The Way of the True Adept).

Take a look for yourself:

Level 1
This level produces a mild "stoning" effect, with some visual enhancement (i.e. brighter colours, etcetera). Some short term memory anomalies. Left/right brain communication changes causing music to sound "wider".

Level 2
Bright colors, and visuals (i.e. things start to move and breathe), some 2 dimensional patterns become apparent upon shutting eyes. Confused or reminiscent thoughts. Change of short term memory leads to continual distractive thought patterns. Vast increase in creativity becomes apparent as the natural brain filter is bypassed.

Level 3
Very obvious visuals, everything looking curved and/or warped patterns and kaleidoscopes seen on walls, faces etc. Some mild hallucinations such as rivers flowing in wood grained or "mother of pearl" surfaces. Closed eye hallucinations become 3 dimensional. There is some confusion of the senses (i.e. seeing sounds as colors, etcetera). Time distortions and "moments of eternity".

Level 4
Strong hallucinations, i.e. objects morphing into other objects. Destruction or multiple splitting of the ego. (Things start talking to you, or you find that you are feeling contradictory things simultaneously). Some loss of reality. Time becomes meaningless. Out of body experiences and e.s.p. type phenomena. Blending of the senses.

Level 5
Total loss of visual connection with reality. The senses cease to function in the normal way. Total loss of ego. Merging with space, other objects, or the universe. The loss of reality becomes so severe that it defies explanation. The earlier levels are relatively easy to explain in terms of measureable changes in perception and thought patterns. This level is different in that the actual universe within which things are normally perceived, ceases to exist! Satori enlightenment (and other such labels).

TOCimg1.gif

Sorry, I tried to copy the picture, but the computer wasn't cooperating!

I'd like to start an online group following Bardon's path along with ascending the Levels--it seems very much like they're pointing the same direction.

Feel free to ask me any questions and let me know if there's any interest.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's much more to be said about the connections between the two systems which may not be apparent immediately upon reading the above without spending some time reflecting.

I'll post the connections in greater detail if I see some interest:)

I fixed the picture for you. :)

I'll try to reply more in a little bit.

Let's begin by taking a closer look at Level 1a--cannabis.

According to Erowid, cannabis induces, "creative, philosophical, abstract, or deep thinking : ideas flow more easily," and ,"increased emotional impact."

Let's begin by taking a closer look at Level 1a--cannabis.

According to Erowid, cannabis induces, "creative, philosophical, abstract, or deep thinking : ideas flow more easily," and ,"increased emotional impact."

Cannabis, in my opinion, does not augment the mental section--it removes the focus.

However, I do believe it can easily augment the astral and physical exercises.

When working the soul mirrors, I find cannabis to be indespensable.

When working any astral or physical exercises, I find that cannabis generally--not always-helps:)

Balance:) the goal is to achieve all this without the use of drugs:)

However, drugs can be a very useful tool. It's just very important that the hammer doesn't swing you, you swing it;)

A NEW perspective on Bardon.

Everyone, online or in person, tells me that you need 2hrs+ per day to practice.

This isn't true--at least at the start.

10min in the morning and 10min at night is fully sufficient.

As you practice, your practice will grow, but for now, just spend the 10min!!!!

And NO!!!!!! You do NOT need to work on the mental, astral, and physical sections simultaneously.

What one need do is master the mental, then the astral, then the physical.

If you got spare time, absolutely work on the exercises of each section simultaneously, but if not, perfect one thing before moving to the next:)

This seems like very new age abstraction. Like why are the "Elements" the reference for balance in the astral department? It makes no sense. The astral is way more complicated than that.

For now, all I can offer is a very brief apologetic of Franz Bardon's work--I should have more time to write this weekend:)

1.) Bardon's work was written in 1956 before what we think of as, "New Age."

2.) If you look up "Hermetics," or, "Hermeticism," on Wikipedia, under the section titled, "Texts," Bardon's "Initiation into Hermetics," is listed among only a total of 8 works. It seems to be held at nearly the same level as the "Corpus Hermeticum."

Also, the works of no other major, modern occult figures such as Aleister Crowley are mentioned, save for a couple members of The Golden Dawn.

3.) In the the Wikipedia article on Bardon, it states:

"Bardon's works are most notable for their simplicity, their relatively small theoretical sections, and heavy emphasis on practice with many exercises. Students of his, such as Emil Stejnar, Walter Ogris, Martin Faulks, William Mistele and Rawn Clark consider him to have written the best training programs of any magician of the 20th century. They were written with the intention of allowing students who wished to practice magic the means to do so if they could not study under a teacher."

4.) The book has 150 reviews on Amazon and a rating of 4.6/5 stars.