• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THC Candy Last Night ... Yikes!

Gratuitous Grace

Bluelighter
So, I haven't smoked weed since I was in college in the mid-'90s ... and even back then I wasn't that into it. (Alcohol was much more appealing to me.) I'm back in grad school now, and I have a professor who smokes often -- like, multiple times per day. He's always offering, and I'm always declining. Finally, last night, he showed me these THC-infused gummy candies (dosed at 25mg) that someone sent him from Colorado. Very official looking medical-grade product ... except for the candy aspect, I guess! He offered me one, and I said what the hell? They looked like they were meant for children.

Holy shit! I don't remember the (probably garbage) weed I got when I was a kid being *anything* like this. Slow to take effect -- maybe an hour? Then, very strong, hugely anxiety-producing, and dissociating. I kept losing track of where I was, who I was with, what I was doing, what we were talking about, what had put me in this state ... with violent snaps back to reality ... only to lose it again very quickly. Back and forth and back and forth for hours. It was seriously not enjoyable. I woke up this morning still kind of high ... so effects lasted a good 12 hours. HUH?

IDK ... I think my first cannabis experience in two decades was a pretty big failure. LOL! I'm definitely open-minded about the whole game, however. The background is that I've been doing psychedelics (LSD, mescaline, DMT, and lots of other chems with more numbers and letters in their names than I care to type out) for 25+ years. Let's just say that I've been through rough patches before. So, it was pretty unbelievable to me that 25mg of THC kicked my ass in a way that some very powerful psychedelics don't (or no longer do)?!? Wow...

Who can offer an explanation, some guidance, tips on how to get better at this? Or is THC just not for me if I didn't enjoy it at that (again 25mg) dosage, with good company, and with a very positive outlook on the whole experience going in?

Thanks, friends...

No offense but I'm constantly shocked that non-smokers are always eating weed instead of smoking it. It's so common. It's very hard to gauge dose and there's no limit on how high u can get and there's no turning back once you munch. You took too much, that simple. Just smoke it, take 1 hit and see how it goes.

No offense but I'm constantly shocked that non-smokers are always eating weed instead of smoking it. It's so common. It's very hard to gauge dose and there's no limit on how high u can get and there's no turning back once you munch. You took too much, that simple. Just smoke it, take 1 hit and see how it goes.
Seriously, no offense taken at all! You didn't even need to say that. :) I appreciate your input.

OK ... so on gauging dose. Clearly I knew exactly what the dose was. You must be saying that I didn't understand what 25mg meant or that I didn't know how that known dose would affect me -- right? If so, you're absolutely right.

Yeah ... I should find a way to smoke it that works for me. Thanks much...

usually edibles aren't labelled with the THC dose in mgs...

The worst experiences i've had with weed have always been oral. I know that super paranoid, intense feeling that only seems like it's getting stronger and stronger and stronger... it's awful. Combine the intense high of not being stoned for 20 years with a panic attack and I think that's what happened to you. I agree that it's much better to SMOKE weed instead of eating it if you're not a regular user. Take a hit or 2, see how you're feeling, repeat if necessary. Maybe those gummies were actually 250 mgs? Did you actually read a printed label on them? or just take the guy's word for it?

usually edibles aren't labelled with the THC dose in mgs...

Maybe those gummies were actually 250 mgs? Did you actually read a printed label on them? or just take the guy's word for it?
No, the labeling was super-clear. I read it and understood it. My responsibility...

The worst experiences i've had with weed have always been oral. I know that super paranoid, intense feeling that only seems like it's getting stronger and stronger and stronger... it's awful. Combine the intense high of not being stoned for 20 years with a panic attack and I think that's what happened to you.
Yeah, that was pretty much the character of it. But, listen, I don't mean to make too much of this or to upset anybody. "Panic attack" is too strong a word for it. It was definitely an "oops" moment(!) ... but I kept it under control, you know? Last night's experience actually felt vaguely psychedelic, so the things that work when psychedelic trips start to go south worked here in about the same way. Wow ... I don't remember weed being psychedelic. :? Also, damn hard to get that paranoid feeling to dissipate -- especially on a packed subway.

Anyway, I get that I was (pretty apparently) on too high a dose for it to be enjoyable, and it's a shame that it wasn't more enjoyable. As I say that, I realize that it's connected to the problem in a way: I had the arrogance to think that, just because I can handle however many micrograms of LSD or whatever, that I could just jump into this after decades and be totally fine with it. I got shown the error of my thinking! But, again, I don't mean to overplay it: I sprained my ankle, I didn't break my neck. I'd like to continue exploring. I'll back up, go slower, use the tried-and-true ROA, etc.

Seriously, no offense taken at all! You didn't even need to say that. :) I appreciate your input.

OK ... so on gauging dose. Clearly I knew exactly what the dose was. You must be saying that I didn't understand what 25mg meant or that I didn't know how that known dose would affect me -- right? If so, you're absolutely right.

Yeah ... I should find a way to smoke it that works for me. Thanks much...

Even if you know the mg dosage sometimes stomach content or a full stomach can make you half as high. Tolerance goes up so quickly that if you try a second or 3rd time you might be disappointed.

Edibles can definitely be hit or miss. And some people are naturally more sensitive, especially if you haven't experienced cannabis in years. 25mg is a pretty reasonable dose to start out with, but you can get sweet spots when making candy that are exceptionally potent.
I'd try vaporizing again before you write off cannabis completely.

Yep, it's pretty typical for the edibles to lead to such intense experiences even with seasoned users. I've been through worse myself (in retrospect, eating a spoonful of hash oil was a bad idea). Even though psychologically it's not traumatizing like a bad acid trip can be, it's still pretty concerning to have all your physical senses thrown into complete disarray and become incapable of even taking your own pulse. Personally, I'm not a fan of the commitment that edibles can take so I prefer vaped or smoked. What I can say is that cannabis intensely potentiates the effects of stronger hallucinogens, so if you're used to taking LSD you may be pretty awestruck by the effect even a small hit of herb can have.

You consumed too much THC. What you described can happen to someone when they eat cannabis and consume too much THC.

Next time, eat just a nibble. go from there later on in the day...

By the way, there is a reason why your professor likes Cannabis and is able to simultaneously hold down a job as a professor. It is not because it ruins his mind I'm sure. Maybe there is much to learn from states that the ego finds "disorienting" and "dissociating". What values do you have which guide you in your present moment experience with any real validity if they cannot survive such an alteration in your personality? This is the essence of what that experience is able to teach those who can learn from it.

Indeed, this is something that has nothing to do with the "getting high for its own sake" style of Cannabis consumption, and cannot be understood or appreciated by those who just consume in order to get their psychological rocks off one way of the other (Indica or Sativa). Not implying you are this way, but in fact the reverse. Since you were able to appreciate that what you had experienced was not productive for you, you were able to realize with the help of others that you did "too much", and by implication that there might be a golden mean for you which gives you some advantages spiritually over your "normal" ego-entrenched self which may be worth exploring presuming you find the correct dose for reaching those states. Explore in that spirit and you will be surprised...

Treat Cannabis as tool, just like the other psychoactives, with a profound respect for your own mind, soul and spirit, and you will get the hang of this.

Next time, eat just a nibble. go from there later on in the day...

That's so hard to do though. If it is 1 browny or candy or whatever it's really difficult to not feel the need to eat the whole thing.

yeah i love food way too much to ever safely combine pot and good food. it would be like bakingbaking and i would get fuctup for sure

yeah i love food way too much to ever safely combine pot and good food. it would be like bakingbaking and i would get fuctup for sure

I know this from first hand experience! Making a big plate of THC cookies and dosing them so that 1 = strong is a bad idea. Once the munchies hit that plate of cookies is mighty tempting.

Also giving them to friends and saying 'only have half to begin with' just gets scoffed at and they ignore the advice eat the whole thing anyway.