• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THC and Heart Block

daytripr

Greenlighter
Is anyone familiar with heart block due to THC consumption?

I have had a Fitbit for a few years now and have noticed that my resting heart is around 60 bpm when I'm clean, but it drops to about 50 bpm after a week or two of smoking flower or vaping oil cartridges. I don't notice any symptoms like dizziness (maybe some palpitations?) and my blood oxygen levels look good (95-98%), but it does freak me out seeing a low of like 40 bpm while I'm sleeping. When I take a break from weed my resting heart rate returns to normal after maybe 10 days; it's pretty much a linear increase.

I'm middle-aged and don't have any known health issues other than obstructive sleep apnea which I have been treating with my APAP machine. I'm fairly active and prior to Covid had been doing martial arts (Judo and Jujitsu) a few times a week for the past 14 years. Never had any issues with physical exertion or when I was hitting max heart rate. I did have a pretty serious coke habit in my 20's for 3 or 4 years, but that was a long time ago and I never noticed any heart issues after I stopped.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm slightly concerned and love weed, but not enough to cause myself heart problems. Yes, I'll check with a cardiologist for a professional medical opinion. I'm just curious if others have experienced this.

THC is well known to increase heart rate if anything, but usually only during the duration of its effects.

You say you're active, just how active? Do you do aerobics other than martial arts?

50-60 bpm is fairly low for a middle aged person, but certainly not unheard of in very fit people and can be considered normal

If you aren't experiencing any negative symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But I would go to a doctor and ask them about it just to be safe. When is the last time you've had an EKG? 40bpm seems quite low for an adult, but lowered heart rate during sleep is normal.

Personally I'm an alcoholic in my mid 30s, but also run 10 miles+ per week and am fairly fit (for an alchy), and my average resting HR is around 76-84 even with beta blockers. I'm constantly stressing about my HR/BP and it only makes it worse. I think chronic alcohol use has more of an effect than chronic cannabis use.

Ultimately a low heart rate while sober and resting, with no negative symptoms, is a sign of a very healthy and robust heart.

I also need to mention many retail biomedical devices like fitbits are prone to inaccuracy.

Last edited:
THC is well known to increase heart rate if anything, but usually only during the duration of its effects.

You say you're active, just how active? Do you do aerobics other than martial arts?
My heart rate definitely increases when I'm under the influence of THC, maybe 20 to 40 bpm over resting.
I haven't been doing any martial arts lately, but I have been walking 3-5 miles each day or doing 30-45 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill.

When is the last time you've had an EKG? 40bpm seems quite low for an adult, but lowered heart rate during sleep is normal.
I had an EKG maybe 3 years ago after some tachycardia at work. Results were normal, but the doctor did mention that my breathing was affecting my heart rate a little bit. Sinus arrhythmia IIRC? Also said that a few minutes of tachycardia is normal. It was the first and only time I've ever experienced it, but it did freak me out a little to suddenly go from 60 bpm to like 180.

Please remember that if you are smoking it that it can negatively affect you in the means of clogging arteries. From my perception of what of read of others , it is that cannabis doesnt appear to affect the heart itself negatively (provided no unknown or known to be a problem heart conditions that may be affected by it negatively.)

I would say that your 50 BPM resting heart rate is more likely to be a sign that you are fairly healthy and your walking etc but yeah as pointed out by Snafu 40 does seem a bit low even for sleeping but 50 resting for someone who does lots of consistent exercise particularly brisk long walks should be a good sign, not a negative sign.

Do any of your direct relatives suffer from low blood pressure? Have you ever suffered from Low blood pressure symptoms ?