• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

That's a lot for overseas...

ParappaTheRapper

Ex-Bluelighter
I recently stumbled upon this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPkFhzx1n4&feature=related , regarding Paul McCartney getting busted with 7.7 ounces of cannabis in Tokyo. And I thought, that's a lot of pot. So.

Do you think that's a reasonable amount of marijuana to smoke in several weeks, especially in another country, or while on tour? Would you smuggle drugs on a plane? Do you think celebrities get off too easy for drug crimes? Should drug penalties in other countries be lessened? What do you think the logistics are of musicians smoking large amounts of pot "secretly" while still working a job or staying out of trouble? How could you even realistically travel with the overwhelming smell of that much weight, especially when in the public eye constantly and being followed by the media? Etc. Etc.

Discuss.

I recently stumbled upon this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPkFhzx1n4&feature=related , regarding Paul McCartney getting busted with 7.7 ounces of cannabis in Tokyo. And I thought, that's a lot of pot. So.

Do you think that's a reasonable amount of marijuana to smoke in several weeks, especially in another country, or while on tour? Would you smuggle drugs on a plane? Do you think celebrities get off too easy for drug crimes? Should drug penalties in other countries be lessened? What do you think the logistics are of musicians smoking large amounts of pot "secretly" while still working a job or staying out of trouble? How could you even realistically travel with the overwhelming smell of that much weight, especially when in the public eye constantly and being followed by the media? Etc. Etc.

Discuss.

I had to re-read this to make sure that it was 7.7oz and not 7.7lbs, and I don't think ~8 ounces is "too much" to smoke on a several weeklong tour. For some, yeah, that amount might be overdoing, but I know plenty of people that would prefer more than that.

Personally, I wouldn't smuggle drugs on a plane. I've taken plenty of drugs before going through security and before walking into airports, but I don't think I'd ever try to sneak something past the multitude of security measures in airports these days.

Drug penalties shouldn't exist-- just my opinion. That said, it's not my place to sound off about what laws I think a country other than my own should implement. In my perfect world, though, I'd be able to ingest any substance I desired in any spot on Earth (even underwater, if I wanted).

I don't think many musicians hide their smoking habits, to be honest. It seems to be EVERYWHERE in the music industry, from hip-hop to bluegrass. Smoking and staying out of trouble seems to be based on the individual artists' reputation moreso than their habits, though. If you're constantly rapping/singing about drugs, police are going to pay attention when your tour bus rolls into their town. On the flipside, if you have a smoking habit but don't announce it in every one of your songs, interview and appearances I feel like you're less likely to face police scrutiny when you're out of town, state or country.

We've all got our tricks for hiding weight. Vacuum seals work wonders. Keeping shit hidden in your hotel/bus is even better. More often than not, though? Somebody else is holding onto and securing their stash, and likely going to take any and all heat for it if they can. Some people are just so high-profile that it's hard for police not to stick a few ounces on 'em, wait for the reporters and call it a day.

Yeah, 7.7 ounces doesn't seem like that much if he's touring for a couple months, and the smell really isn't the problem (really, who can't hide the smell of weed these days?). I believe most artists get off too easy for drug charges (especially since my town tickets people for $125 for open liquor in public), but it is what it is. Domestically I've taken drugs on transportation, but that's because Canada is extraordinarily lax in regard to drugs (no drug dogs in airports). On the flip side, I would never take drugs internationally (really, why not just buy when you get there? Drugs are everywhere) because everywhere I've been outside of Canada has been littered with drug dogs (both train-stations in Europe and planes pretty much everywhere internationally).

Hippie travelling on tour for his successful band.... 8 ounces..... a lot... ? does not compute.

You know, I was just thinking about this issue-- the whole celebrities with weed thing-- and I'm trying to figure out why musicians are way more high profile (collectively) with their drug use than actors and actresses. Do actors/actresses get busted as often as musicians? Why/why not? At first I was thinking it was a racial issue, what with most of the drug busts involving musicians that I hear/read about usually concern black rappers, but then my thoughts centered on Willie Nelson's colorful record and I was back at square one...

Hmmmmm... the things I think about on a sober Saturday night.....

Let's be real, most people in Hollywood are smoking. Some people are just more adapt at getting caught - some don't give a shit - some do and maintain their profile better. Open a tabloid mag and you'll see actresses and actors get just as much shit for drugs and alcoholism then rappers do. Musicians just put it out there - nobody gives a shit if you make music and do drugs, the two have gone hand and hand forever.

Hmm. Well, I just wanted to open up this sort of discussion, and picked a fun title for it %). But to comment, he had signed an affidavit for the Japanese government saying he didn't use drugs before leaving, the bud was contained loosely in his carry-on luggage with his wife, and it was a busy, one-week tour.

Anyway, as far as celebrities vs. musicans, I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware many musicians get a no-arrest liscence. Or something like that. I've had friends who worked at venues, and some people have passes that stop security or local police from arresting them for drug crimes. Which is would cause issues for when it was in other countries obviously.

Also, I'd agree with the image thing. I mean if you take someone like wiz khalifa vs. willie nelson, wiz isn't smoking even half the pot. He's just lighting it and carrying it around. Which is different than posting up and working through weight. So it would make sense that he would need to bypass the law for photo shoots. On the other hand, someone like maybe snoop dogg, who is open about it in general, atleast in the past, you have to think about how many rappers, including him, are FBI informants. So they don't really have to worry about it. They are exposed to criminals much more than actors or actresses, so it makes sense.

Musicians tend to travel much more than actors/actresses and are on the road for longer periods of time. Therefore there are more opportunities to be caught carrying and they will likely be carrying more as well.

I mean, how many man-hours would it take you to go through one ounce....

You have to remember that musicians don't travel alone.

By myself, it'd take me a while to finish an ounce. With an entourage the size Paul McCartney likely has while traveling Europe? Probably wouldn't take longer than several days for a single ounce on tour.

Well I hope it was the dankest of dank..you just don't take 1/2 lb of reg on a plane!

An oz of loud would last me a week or 2, maybe.

Race has nothing to do with it at all so let's get that load of horseshit outta the way..

Musicians do drugs....I play guitar(pretty damn well, I might add, I don't like to brag but honest I could swap licks with Clapton lol...he'd win but i'd place) and I've been smoking weed, and taking opiates for a long time..
That said, I'd like to say that for the first 3 years I smoked weed, I didn't touch my guitar maybe twice because, in my youth, i'd began listening to rap because somebody told me "listen to rap when your high, the bass is amazzzing", and it was, so I quit listening to the music I always liked from birth (blues, classic rock, folk, The Band lol) and became a full time "wigger"..pretty much.

I would get high, get my ipod, lay down and listen to rap with my eyes closed...Gucci mane, Big krit, ASAP, and all that southern bullshit.
In retrospect, this was the biggest waste of time in my entire life, and it's my only regret, thus far.

Anyways, I've played guitar since 10 years old...6 months of lessons, I got well versed and knew all the chords and stuff, jut couldn't do all the licks, ya know the solos and all that shit that really makes a guitar sing... when I went to highschool I got frustrated that I couldn't make my baby moan, so I put her down until after i'd graduated..

I was going thru a slow point, no doubt caused by doing nothing but smoking weed and listening to rap, eventually flunked a semester (my second) of college.

Around the time I flunked, I was beggening to get into opiates pretty heavily. At the time my tolerance was still low and I could still very much get "high" off pills and pot, as it were, and during this time, my music tastes reverted back to the good music i'd grew up listening to, and I knew and loved. Led Zeppelin, Stones, Dead, Beatles, The Band, Tull, Good acoustic folk too, like Townes Van Zandt, Dylan, others that don't come to the top atm.

So at that point I was 18 1/2 or 19 and I started to pick up and play my guitar again, for the first time, really since the 8th grade. I remembered all the basic chords and played songs I liked, strumming and singing, high on the hog lol..

So I was doing that just playing the same stale licks and chods i'd been playing since I was 10, not really trying to learn anything new...then one night during the summer....I was on a handful of Tramadol and Bottle full of Norco, and I'd taken some pretty crappy psychedilics a week or 2 before that, I might add (tho I have no idea what role, if any, it played in my coming breakthrough)..anyways I was feeling pretty good off the pills, smoking some pot with a nice pinch of good hash on top in my room, and listening to Some Song (I don't remember, but it was either The Band or The grateful dead, and the song had a really good groove to it, and I remember thinking "boy i'd sure like to play like that."

So during this song, laying on my bed high 8 miles high, I look at my Telecaster that'd been sitting in the same spot for ages...I just remember looking at the fretboard and I just saw it...that's the only way I can explain it, but it was as if I saw a brightly colored pattern over the strings, moving with the notes in the song...

I just remember thinking, "surely not...I can't even play scales, theres no way those little orbs of colored light on my guitar strings are going to sound like anything besides a cat dying in a rainstorm! I might as well just humor myself and see what happens when I put my fingers where I see the shit...I had nothing better to do" I thought.
So I got up, picked up that tele (which had been pretty much neglected for the past 4 years) and started playing the notes where I saw the lights (which had mostly faded now), and believe it or not, I played along with the entire rest of the song, which I hadn't even heard many times.
Here's the real kicker..it sounded good! Hell, it sounded damn good!

So for the next year I made pretty radical progress with the guitar...saw new horizons I didn't know existed, taught myself all the blues licks, the rock licks...pretty soon I could play along with any goddamn song I heard!
(this was pretty amazing, to me, that I took guitar lessons 10 years ago and was just now finally learning the stuff i'd always wanted to know...growing up i'd try to play with songs and get frustrated cuz i'd hit a wrong note and i'd just give up from frustration)

Now I not only heard the music, but I saw it and I felt it like I never had.

Jump ahead 1 year, and I can still make that guitar cry like a horny girl for some hard dick, lol. I play the blues and rock n roll everyday....just whatever I feel and wanna hear that day...in the past 3 months or so I've been in sorta an uninspired slump (always happens when I run out of new old music to listen to, and I end up playing the same things over until I get bored to death, and eventually find me some new tunes to play).
I still like to learn more everyday though, and i'm hoping to find a like minded band or just folks to jam with when I return to college...while I don't see myself making any money, or becoming famous what with the godawful music climate in the world these days, theres nothing i'd rather be doing than getting high, getting into a GOOD motherfucking groove and just playing until my knuckles fall off..

Since then, both my DOC's Opiate and marijuana tolerances have BOTH skyrocketed....but I try to keep my usage to the bare minimum...Opiates the equivalent of at least 100mg hydrocodone/dose and weed I gotta smoke a fat bowl of LOUD to the dome to get an OK buzz and about 3 to get half stoned.

IDK exactly what role, if any, drugs played in my musical abilities...perhaps if I didn't spend my first 3 years smoking pot listening to rap an sitting on my ass, and played my guitar instead, maybe I could be playing shows with Jack White by now lol..but probably not.
Sorry for writing my entire life story on BL lol...probably crash the server..

TLDR; Drugs are a part of life, music is a part of life (bigger for some than others, on both) and well, they go hand in hand. All of my buddies, and people in general, that does drugs don't play music, in fact none of my pals do...and everybody that does drugs doesn't play music either...
That being said, drugs and music go together like tires and rubber..they just mesh!