• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tested positive for 6-MAM from Poppy Tea

wkd556

Greenlighter
Hello guys, i thought i'd make a seperate thread for this matter

Long user of poppy tea and browser of this forum.
Had an amazing discovery that might be valuable to some fellow Poppy tea users..
So i've been offered a Buprenorphine script to help me get off poppy tea and thus i needed to have some tests to confirm the presence of opiate in my system, since the organsiation isn't very fimilar with poppy seed tea and addiction... it was almost me educating them most of it!
My results came back frrom the Urine and Mouth Swab tests and i tested positive for Opiates and 6-MAM, 6-MAM! an active metabolite of heroin.
I've never used heroin or street drugs, im only prescribed codeine and take poppy seed tea.

I thought this was an interesting find considering studies said 6-MAM was not present in poppy seeds... " 6-MAM is not present in poppy seeds or in urine after the ingestion of products containing poppy seed." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3390911/

Maybe this is because they did not test saliva for metabolites.

Anyways this is a cool find i think and i feel it will be beneficial for the community to know this! If it was already known i'm sorry for being late to the conversation aha!

Note: I have never used Aspirin and didn't have an vinegar prior or on the day of the tests. So i dont feel they could of been responsible for a false positive.

Last edited:
Well what else did you have? Like I said before 6-MAM is a pretty unique metabolite of heroin.

Did you take any drugs you’ve not been prescribed? Other than poppy tea? I’m assuming you’ve taken something that had H in it.

Nope, I dont take any other drugs apart from ibuprofen(pharmacy), pure codeine 30mg (prescribed) and poppy seeds from the store. I don't buy anything off the streets. Only the pharmacy or the store for poppy seeds. This is why im very intrigued!

I went into detox 3 months ago and tested positive for raw opium and all it's alkaloids. It is a good thing. Be honest with your doctor. She/he is there to help you. Go with it.

I have been clean since the day of my induction on Suboxone. It is a wonder drug for me. I do not even feel it anymore, but the cravings are gone. That is key. I feel like I can do other things now. I am putting my life together. It is truly wonderful.

Trust your doctor.

I went into detox 3 months ago and tested positive for raw opium and all it's alkaloids. It is a good thing. Be honest with your doctor. She/he is there to help you. Go with it.

I have been clean since the day of my induction on Suboxone. It is a wonder drug for me. I do not even feel it anymore, but the cravings are gone. That is key. I feel like I can do other things now. I am putting my life together. It is truly wonderful.

Trust your doctor.

The post is in regards with an apparent positive result for 6-MAM when consuming nothing but poppy tea and codeine.

To the OP, thank you so much for sharing that..

Do you ever prepare tea with vinegar or anything containing acetic acid? Or consume foods with acetic acid in them?

-GC