• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Terrifying response to medical marijuana

Hashbrown77

Greenlighter
I have been a reader of the forums on this site for years but I have never posted a thread so I will give a little background. After 12 years of IV heroin use i am finally now clean and on a methadone maintenance program. I am currently in the process of an incredibly slow taper that I began a year ago this month and now I am only on 55mgs daily. While I have dabbled in many other things heroin was always my DoC. Other than the methadone the only other pharmaceuticals I take are synthroid for hypothyroidism and birth control. I have also been an off and on smoker for about twenty years and although I have tried some edibles I have never had a chance to get my hands on some certified medical marijuana until a trip to Cincinnati last week. I have struggled with migraines for the past decade. I do go to a neurologist for treatment but it hasn't been exactly what I would call a 'success'. Anyways....thought trying some medical mj would be an obvious choice for me. I took 3 average sized tokes from a glass bowl and felt amazing!.....at first......my headache went away and I had a very relaxing body buzz. I just felt so light and so happy. I was with my boyfriend who also smoked and of course his friend who provided us with the experience joined us in the circle as well. About 45 minutes into it I started to feel these weird muscle contractions in my neck it felt like my neck was spawning and every time I would turn my head one way I could feel a popping like sensation as well. I just figured maybe my neck was tight after an 8 hour drive up from North Carolina, but quickly after that began I started having these waves of extreme shaking. It was comparable to how you shiver when you get super cold but it was COMPLETELY uncontrollable and would start at my head and literally pass down to my toes in a long consistent wave. My skin began to feel extremely sensitive and I cannot think of another way to describe it except that it almost felt like I had taken a fairly large dose of MDMA.....at first I thought maybe it had been laced with something but no one else who had smoked was having ANY of the same symptoms AT ALL. My hands and feet turned bluish white and I felt like I was freezing cold but when I got underneath a blanket I immediately felt burning hot, but still shaking violently and uncontrollably. I could barely even walk to the bathroom bc my legs were shaking so badly....and my jaw started to hurt from trembling....after 20 minutes or so of these symptoms I began to breathe extremely rapidly....and I felt like I was not in control of this. As I said before, I really felt like I was rolling but obviously I was not. After sitting next to my boyfriend on the couch for ten minutes or so with him helping me to regulate my breathing and just trying to calm me down....telling me I was in a safe space, getting me a glass of water, etc it just stopped. Instantly, suddenly, and without warning just stopped dead in its tracks. After the shaking suddenly ceased I began to feel all around better and in fact I didn't even feel high anymore. Has anyone ever heard of or experienced anything like this? I have been reading some articles about "white-outs" which can be caused by a drop in blood pressure after a smoking session, but I'm not positive it fits....we had eaten dinner not even an hour beforehand and while low blood pressure can cause shakiness, this was straight up uncontrollable body tremors and shivering. Not sure if it is worth mentioning but I had also taken a double dose of sublingual CBD oil about two hours beforehand. I know that if the THC is not properly balanced with the cbd it can cause some weird side effects but I was under the impression that was if there was too much THC, not too much CBD....which would have been the case in my situation. It was really very scary and while I have been an avid smoker for many years I am feeling wary that it might happen again. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

If the MMJ was high in THC maybe you just had too much... Did you have any tolerance at the time? A new strain after a break for a while can cause some serious shit to happen sometimes. I nearly dropped to the ground once whilst standing when I was really stoned. I've also had the mega shakes and been very cold at other times, usually because I'd just had too much and maybe my bodies natural immune system was down?

I would try only having one or two tokes next time and waiting to see how you go. Mention it to your boyfriend to do similar if it happens again, to calm you and regulate your breathing and get you a glass of water etc. I think if you do it more over some time you will probably find you will have more of a tolerance and it wont happen and slowly you'd be able to have more each session without complications.

Just take it slow I guess?

I have probs getting anxiety/nervous/paranoid reactions to strong (thc)weed. The strain called Ringo's Gift completely changed my relationship to cannabis. Get yourself a gram of extract from this strain and you will see how it never makes you have a bad reaction. Sure you can't get super high on it, but if you pay attention, i think you'll find it very relaxing! It's a super high CBD plant, with a bit of thc too :)

I wouldn't mess with Marijuana or CBD products anymore if I were you. You may have an allergy or something. Not everybody is the same so I can see why the rest of the group was unaffected. I love Pot because it feels good to me, if it didnt I wouldnt use it. Your experience sounds unusually unpleasant. Hey I love peanuts too but if you have an allergy to peanuts they can kill you. I would find another way to catch a buzz if I were you.

Something like this happened to me today. I'm currently detoxing from methadone and I've never used cannabis before. My mother thought it would help. So being a first timer I only smoked a lil. I felt pretty calm for about 45 minutes then my heart started racing, my muscles were jerking all over and I got violently ill. Sick sick. I didn't attribute it to the cannabis until I remembered that's what happens with my allergic reaction to cold meds. And also the couple times I tried coke. Exact symptoms. So I'm also wondering could a person be allergic to cannabis? I'm so confused.
I don't know anything about different strains all I know is this came from a friend of my mothers and we live in a very rural area where it's not legal. So it could have been any kind. That prob doesn't help any but thought I'd throw it out there.

If the MMJ was high in THC maybe you just had too much... Did you have any tolerance at the time? A new strain after a break for a while can cause some serious shit to happen sometimes. I nearly dropped to the ground once whilst standing when I was really stoned. I've also had the mega shakes and been very cold at other times, usually because I'd just had too much and maybe my bodies natural immune system was down?

I would try only having one or two tokes next time and waiting to see how you go. Mention it to your boyfriend to do similar if it happens again, to calm you and regulate your breathing and get you a glass of water etc. I think if you do it more over some time you will probably find you will have more of a tolerance and it wont happen and slowly you'd be able to have more each session without complications.

Just take it slow I guess?

(@poledriver) thanks fr yr response man! It's comforting to know that someone else has had a similar experience at one point or another. I have smoked again since then (a couple weeks after) and I did not have the same reaction at all, so at this point I am inclined to believe that it was just a very specific combination of circumstances that led to the event. Although we had eaten an hour or so beforehand, it was the first time I had eaten in about 20 hours or so....so its possible that while my blood pressure and blood sugar were already low it dropped even lower when the blood rushed to my stomach to digest the food....apparently this can cause some pretty crazy symptoms, especially since i'm hypothyroid, plus the methadone taper, and then the obvious addition of the crazy good quality bud. anyways....just wanted to let you know i appreciate yr input. keep doin what yr doin!

The only advise I have to tell you is to take it slow. This kind of things happens every once in a while to people that take breaks and come back to very potent bud or at the time of trying, your tolerance had to be pretty low to none.

It is a possibility that such a reaction could result from an allergy. I’m glad to hear that you have had a good experience since.

Allergy causes things like hives, difficulty breathing, itching, swelling etc. It does not sound like an allergy.

My wife occasionally gets intense anxiety from smoking weed, but when she started taking CBD oil beforehand it all but eliminated those paranoid, racing thought loops and allowed her to enjoy the experience again. I'm not implying this can or does work for everyone, but it might be something to try if/when you have future sessions.