View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Terrified of DMT

the_ketaman

Bluelighter
OK I tried DMT about a year ago and over about 2 months had about 10 trips. Out of them only 2 were fun the rest mostly terrifying. I did 50mg my first time and broke through(I remember my mum appearing and screaming in a million voices at my friends for giving me drugs & killing me. In reality she was upstairs) I kept trying after that but I just made myself scared of DMT.

How can I get over this fear? People describe amazing trips and while mine were mind blowing, they were rarely positive. I've done tons of other psychs and never had problems. I did have bad anxiety at the time but the DMT just made it worse. I'm in a much better mind frame at present hence wanting to try it again.

One other thing is I never went under 30mg. I'm thinking about trying 10mg then working up again. Is 10mg active?

DMT is the one that scares me, Even Salvia doesn't come close!

Please help me enjoy this unique substance!

Do you try meditating before you take the DMT?
I find meditation can help reduce your pre-trip anxiety and worries and put you in a state very conducive to that induced by DMT.
Also I recommend doing smaller doses but doing them in a dark room, that way you don't need as much to get a similar breakthrough experience with less negative side effects generally associated with higher dosing.

As far as dosages 10mg is pretty small but it can be a good starter dose, since you can generally smoke DMT several times in one day without noticing any tolerance effects you could certainly find it useful to start with a small 10mg dose and titrate your way up if you feel comfortable

10mg is definitely "not enough", but it should probably be active. Ideally you do want a breakthrough experience, because otherwise you just feel weird for a bit. Titrating upwards to find your perfect zone is recommended yes, but it seems to me the experience had less to do with dose and more to do with your mindset at the time. I think you're supposed to be scared shitless of the might and power of this chemical, combined it can make for some very dysphoric experiences.

You could also try a changa, or drinking a caapi brew. The Harmala alkaloids really slow you down, and makes for a much "easier" experience. Mind you, you can still go balls to the walls with this, but something about the combination works so well.

Marijuana is known to cause anxiety and can turn a good trip bad quickly. Try smoking your DMT with parsley instead of weed, it's a pretty well known alternative. (I would also try smoke parsley alone first, it'd be hard to fish the DMT out if the parsley is too harsh to smoke.)

What about the setting? Tripping while your mother is upstairs doesn't sound like a good idea to me, was that the case the other times too?

I know when I'll try DMT someday, I would consider doing it orally first, because the sudden onset when smoked intimidates me a little. On the other hand, if you have an unpleasant experience, at least with smoked DMT it's also over pretty fast.

^^I'm 25 & my mother knows I use drugs and doesn't really mind aside from heroin & meth which is a fair point.

One time I smoked some DMT a day or two after using meth and I just lost it, was being told to kill everyone. Luckily I had just enough of my ego intact to tell myself that I'd wait until I came down before doing anything and was just scared when I came down. I haven't used meth in months and don't plan to again but I will NEVER use a psychedelic after meth again!

I don't meditate beforehand but I will be next time and also before an acid trip this weekend.

I had Changa but never used it as I was unsure of any contradictions with Suboxone or Methadone. Any help with that'd be great. :)

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Not everyone has good experiences with DMT.

I know people who have used DMT in the form of Ayahuasca, freebasing extracted DMT, and using 5-MeO-DMT and they had bad or unpleasant experiences.

Last edited:
I think trying ~10mg to start off is a great idea. I typically like to do one or two sub-breakthrough doses to get used to the headspace before going for the full breakthrough. With this method, I've found the breakthrough, while still powerful, is much gentler and slowed down even. I'd also echo the sentiment about meditation - I've almost always had better experiences if I meditate beforehand. If I go in with a busy mind, it's practically guaranteed I won't be allowed to fully enter hyperspace.

I don't like the fast onset psychs. I prefer to come up gradually like with acid. So no DMT, 5-MEO-DMT, or salvia for me. Just personal preference I guess.

I don't like the fast onset psychs. I prefer to come up gradually like with acid. So no DMT, 5-MEO-DMT, or salvia for me. Just personal preference I guess.

All 3 of those are on a different level entirely, but I love it that with nasal phenethylamines (mostly the halo-2c's) you're tripping hard in 10 minutes. You know right away what you're up to and it makes it a viable option to do a psychedelic at 3am or something like that. It is a bit of a shock for like 5 minutes, a bit like how a good dose of MDMA kicks in though less intense.

Btw, I would suggest harmalas with vaped DMT to you too then. There is a good reason the amazon natives think it's the most important part of the aya experience, and it makes DMT that much easier to digest. Also while under the influence of harmalas you can just smoke a bit, then smoke a bit more and you can slowly bring yourself to a breakthrough experience. Changa is good, but a brew or a salted extraction orally works best.

Last edited:
10 mg could be an active amount it really depends on the quality of spice and how you are consuming it. DMT can be very overwhelming due to the potency and difficulty of actually breaking though. The last time smoke some spice I nearly passed out from holding a hit in to long.

A lot of people seem to underestimate the power of DMT apparently, there's definitely a potential dark side to it, and even then, the experience can be so powerful that it's scary enough on it's own without being dark, it can be extremely freaky as well.

Low doses for me put me in a gentle visual state, slowly moving geometric patterns and gives me a very relaxed feeling, also does it last no longer than 5 minutes for me.
Afterwards it feels like I had a long massage or came just out of the sauna, it's very relaxing.
But even high doses tend to do this for me, in the seven years I smoke DMT I always had a very hard time breaking through, I just can't inhale enough smoke at once, and I've tried everything.

30mg is a mild dose, 10mg won't do much but give you a very mild body high.
For some people with excellent smoking technique and great lung capacity 30mg can be a breakthrough experience, but for the majority it won't be.