• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teen Marijuana Use On the Decline In Colorado After Adult Legalization

Bluelighter
http://blog.mpp.org/tax-and-regulat...n-colorado-after-adult-legalization/08082014/

Rates of current and lifetime marijuana use among Colorado high school students has dropped since the state made marijuana legal in 2012, according to a press release distributed Thursday by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

According to preliminary data from the state’s biennial Healthy Kids Colorado Survey, in 2013 – the first full year the drug was legal for adults 21 and older – 20 percent of high school students admitted using pot in the preceding month and 37 percent said they had at some point in their lives.

The survey’s 2011 edition found 22 percent of high school students used the drug in the past month and 39 percent had ever sampled it.

It’s unclear if the year-to-year decline represents a statistically significant change, but data from 2009 suggests a multiyear downward trend. That year 25 percent of high school kids said they used pot in the past month and 45 percent said they had ever done so.

A working paper published late last month by the National Bureau of Economic Research also concluded there is no causal relationship between medical marijuana laws and increases in teen marijuana use. According to the researchers, “Our results are not consistent with the hypothesis that legalization leads to increased use of marijuana by teenagers.”

- See more at: http://blog.mpp.org/tax-and-regulat...t-legalization/08082014/#sthash.hFIFYkfJ.dpuf

Makes sense.... it's not so forbidden and rebellious now. WAIT THINK OF THE CHILDREN, WITHOUT ILLEGAL MARIJUANA KIDS WILL REBEL WITH COCAINE AND HEROIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what happened in the Netherlands. Make it legal and it's no longer cool and rebellious, make legal, regulated distribution centers and they have a hard time getting their hands on it (Dealer's don't ID their customers).

Many of us were confident that this would be the result.

Admittedly, it is still early, but I don't expect that things will take a turn for the prohibitionist predictions of rampant addiction among teens.

Now would be a good time for other states to follow suit, and hopefully for Obama to do something very productive by announcing plans for drug reform at a federal level.

Come on Mr. President, "you can do it!"

Good news, though not unexpected.

Proper. Drugs are for adults.

I respect you and appreciate your contributions here, MDAO <3

But here, I want to push you about your use of the word "drugs".
Do you mean all recreational drugs? If so, do you include chocolate and tea?
Are you using it in the "mainstream" way to mean something like "recreational drugs illegal in our system / not culturally accepted"?
Surely you would not include medicinal use of chemical substances in your definition? Even if said substances were identical to the recreational drugs?

For the record, I will discourage my children from using any recreational drugs until after college (-age).
I am also a realist, and know that there is a chance that they will be experimenting before that.
And I would prefer for them to experiment with a safer drug, such as cannabis, compared to other drugs kids use, such as meth, thinner / inhalants, or even alcohol.
So, I would like to know about the situation with children's use of other drugs, such as those I mentioned above, to see if cannabis legalization is having an adverse effect. For example, if it is simply the case that 45% of 16-year olds are going to use an illegal drug for social reasons, and those that were previously using cannabis switched to meth after legalization in order to maintain status, that would suck!
And of course we need to get more years under our belts to really be able to say anything significant about whether legalization will increase teen use in Colorado, though it proved to be the case in other countries that have tried.

Exactly what happened in the Netherlands. Make it legal and it's no longer cool and rebellious, make legal, regulated distribution centers and they have a hard time getting their hands on it (Dealer's don't ID their customers).

Exactly. Once its not cool its not a big deal anymore. Just like in European countries where the drinking age is 18 ppl don't go out and get black out drunk like we do Jere on our 21st. Like drinking wine with dinner is no big deal. If america has that same mentality things would be a lot less crazy.

I respect you and appreciate your contributions here, MDAO <3

But here, I want to push you about your use of the word "drugs".
Do you mean all recreational drugs? If so, do you include chocolate and tea?
Are you using it in the "mainstream" way to mean something like "recreational drugs illegal in our system / not culturally accepted"?
Surely you would not include medicinal use of chemical substances in your definition? Even if said substances were identical to the recreational drugs?

Aw shucks. For the record, slim, I think you win at keeping up DiTM. Like General MacArthur, I shall return some day to Asia, and we need to get together and put some Uyghur hash in our lungs and some fatty tuna belly in our stomachs =D

I agree with you wholeheartedly that there is no clear boundary between food, drug, and medicine, other than the ones we culturally construct. The definitions of these words provides a good illustration. A food is a substance that is taken orally as a source of chemical energy, a.k.a. metabolic fuel. A drug is any substance that temporarily changes how the body works. A medicine is any substance people expose their body to with the intent of treating disease at the molecular level. So a Venn diagram would look like two intersecting circles, with a big hoop completely encircling them both. All foods and medicines are drugs. Some drugs are both. But there are plenty of drugs which are neither.

There is a reason we do not let children drive cars, have sex, or use fire. It's not that kids shouldn't know or think about these activities, and it's definitely not that they're not physically capable. It's that these activities carry a high degree of risk, and as such warrant a more mature level of judgement, caution, and cool-headed critical thinking than most activities in our daily lives. Children's brains are growing. The brain doesn't fully mature until 21 years old (+/- 4y depending on the individual and everything factoring into his/her development). Most critically, the prefrontal cortex, where critical thinking, impulse control, and judgement happen, is under construction until the very end of this period, and lacks the myelinated connections to other parts of the nervous system to act in time to block sudden strong impulses or hasty moves.

As none of us here need to be told, there is no such thing as risk-free drug use. (Or when it comes down to it, risk free living!) Every time one makes a choice to put something into one's body, or refrain from doing so, that choice carries a specific profile of potential health hazards, and health benefits, that are likely to result. This risk-benefit profile of course depends on set, setting, dose, and the intentions of the person in question. A newborn baby alone with his mother in her arms nursing out 60cc of breast milk with the intention of feeling safe and protected and falling off to sleep, for example, carries a risk-benefit profile that gives good odds for positive outcomes, and not so good odds for a much smaller number of possible negative outcomes. A 9 year old girl furtively swallowing 30mg of oxycodone she stole from grandma on her walk home from school, as prophylaxis against the painful abuse she fears awaits her there, would have much the opposite profile.

I'd like to argue that there is a ratio of potential for harm to potential for benefit, above which most people are only comfortable letting children be exposed at the approval of, and under the supervision of, adults with a duty to look after the child's wellbeing. Stimulants for gradeschool kids with ADHD falls squarely into this territory. I would also like to argue that a great number -- probably most -- non-food drugs that people put into their bodies with the intent of inducing euphoria, inhibiting dysphoria, enhancing the pleasurability of activities, or enhancing performance -- also carry risk-benefit profiles that are above this "line of comfort", of which I speak, for most people. As a tree planted against a fence has its shape permanently altered by it even when the fence is gone, a growing body and mind will cope with, and tweak the little details of their development in anticipation of, the continued presence of any substance that they're exposed to regularly and early on. A dude who has smoked cigarettes daily for years beginning before puberty has a hole in his personality that can only be filled with a cigarette habit. Put another way, cigarettes likely are, long have been, and always will be, a weight-bearing pillar in this dude's strategy for coping with the ups and downs of life. He will always feel their absence to some degree, years after he's ever touched a cigarette. It's quite possible this dude's toolbox for coping with life and remaining efficacious is not, and won't likely ever be, as well-stocked with healthy solutions to the problems a cigarette habit solves, as it would be if he'd never picked up that first smoke on the playground. A person who picks up their first cigarette in his 20s, by contrast, is a lot more likely to soon conclude that cigarettes are a fifth wheel. He's likely already got working lifestyle solutions to most of the problems he might have turned to cigarettes to solve, and that any further benefit he might derive certainly does not justify the massive risk to his health.

I, too, am a realist when it comes to my children's exposure to drugs made, bought, and taken for the express purposes of thrill, boundary-pushing, and/or enhancement. They will probably encounter such opportunities long before their bodies and minds are fully matured, and neither I nor any other adult who cares for them will be there at the time to weight in on their decision to partake. There is a drive in every parent to pull our children close and tight to us and never let go, forever protecting them from any and all suffering. But at the same time we also know that if we love them we must set them free and let them learn many of the important lessons of life firsthand, the hard way, as heartwrenching as I imagine it will be to watch the world knock them down and shatter their illusions.

With that in mind, in the context of an aimed-for relationship with my children built on love, trust, and a high level of confidence that my intentions toward them are always benevolent, I want to consistently emphasize a few nuggets of wisdom regarding recreational drugs, and hope that they hear my kind, loving, and not at all puritanical voice in their heads whenever they reach that decision point.

And frankly, I wouldn't mind if they dabbled and experimented with a couple of substances as teens, but ultimately decided to hold off on any major psychonautic voyages until they had a solid education, a sense of career direction, some street smarts, and a well-developed set of values, identity, and self-respect. They'd just be less likely, this way, to try relying on drugs as the primary solution to major unmet needs or unresolved issues.

Sorry for the long post -- hope that explains my perspective.

Last edited:
^ Fantastic post, MDAO.
I like your ideas of how a habit adopted in childhood becomes a more necessary crutch than a habit adopted by an adult.

Definitely let me know if you are in the neighborhood! Uyghur hash sounds really, really good about now :)

^ Thanks, man! One false dichotomy I'm sick of tearing down around here is the idea that it's either the system we have now, or the complete freedom for any person to use any drug any time. All drug-taking events are not equal in their risk for harm, both to the drug taker and other people in his life, and do not deserve to be painted with the same brush, whether we're talking about public policy, public health, or public opinion. Any given drug-taking event in isolation can probably be construed as a victimless crime. But when a person's irresponsible pattern of use leads to other people suffering needlessly, who had no influence over their decision to take drugs, the Libertarian litany about a victimless crime wears pretty thin.

I think driving, again, provides a good model for how a risky but inevitable activity could be policed and have its harm to society minimized. We force people who want the privilege of driving a motor vehicle to learn about and demonstrate an understanding of the protocols of the road which minimize the risk of accidents. We encourage driving on public roads, and discourage driving pretty much everywhere else. If they're repeatedly caught breaking these protocols and/or driving in a way that places others on the road in needless danger, this privilege will be revoked. There are also well-established protocols in place for dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident, that aim to contain and redress the damage done. I think any "hard drug" (lord do I hate that term) you care to mention could be made legal, if there were as well-developed an infrastructure in place to guard against harm to other people, catch those who abuse the drug before they're dead or damaged, and pull the privilege of access to those who've demonstrated an inability to use without putting themselves and others at unnecessary risk.

^ I am with you.
I want all drugs to be legalized, but I think there should be great oversight.
For example, I think that one should have to get a "license" to use "harder drugs" (a ridiculous term, maybe, but sometimes useful).
Start with "soft" drugs like weed, and after experiencing it sufficiently, you could try it orally. Written reports necessary to gauge if participants are actively learning or just trying to get fucked up. After successfully completing the "assignment", you could take a 1-gram mushroom trip, then 1.5 grams, etc. in order to get your license to try DMT (and your supply).
Then again, I haven't really thought this through, and I am sure that many problems would arise with this type of system.
But, as you used the metaphor of driving, which requires study and a test, I thought that I would put this out there.

Start with "soft" drugs like weed, and after experiencing it sufficiently, you could try it orally. Written reports necessary to gauge if participants are actively learning or just trying to get fucked up. After successfully completing the "assignment", you could take a 1-gram mushroom trip, then 1.5 grams, etc. in order to get your license to try DMT (and your supply).

I'm very uncomfortable with that idea. It assumes that there is a simplistic hierarchy of harm and preference when it comes to drugs. In reality, those scales are different for each individual. For example, there are some who can handle large doses of psychedelic tryptamines, but have a horrible experience when they consume cannabis. I think it would be awful to force someone, who just wants to try drug Z, to take drugs W, X, and Y first.