• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teen could face life after cops find pot brownies

https://www.change.org/petitions/ja...e-jacob-s-charges-to-misdemeanor-possession-2

If you have Facebook, or other networking, please share.

As for cops and enforcing laws, they can pretend not to see it. And not open plastic containers.

And I'm sure there are lots of them that do exactly this for minor offenses. But you don't hear about those cases (several times in my case alone, same goes for some of my mates). But that changes when they get a warrant from higher up to break some poor guys door down or to go to a known drug spot and search everyone. They can't refuse to do this and still keep their jobs. There only needs to be one guy somewhere up the chain that believes in the drug war and everyone below him has to follow suit. More than that even the guys higher up don't have any say in this, as they need to bring in statistics or they get replaced.
This idiocy stems from people uneducated in the realities of the drug world at the controls of policy about this drug world they know nothing about. And the only way to change this is to educate and by educating change the policy at the political level. You can't solve this by letting police decide what laws to uphold or by disbanding police altogether...

Last edited:
Well BlueBull, I was referring to my home state of Texas where I lived for 19 years and where this ridiculous 'crime' occurred. As far as you claiming that my statement makes no sense, I disagree.

I don't think you can entirely understand the situation without having lived in Texas. Have you lived in Texas or even visited?

Saying they're just doing their jobs is a cop-out. No pun intended. I realize that police tactics are different in Europe, but since I haven't been there I cannot elaborate on how exactly police treat people there. I do know however that there are a LOT of police in the Lone Star State that are true to my semi-hyperbolic comparison. There are definitely good cops there though who don't abuse human rights.

I have also lived in Chicago where police brutality is par for the course and sodomizing suspects with pistols is not unheard of.

Do you believe that politics and politicians will actually change the status quo, even with public pressure? It seems that our opinions just differ wildly based on our life experiences. People get jaded for a reason.

I now live in Mexico where the police situation is more grave and people are downright scared of the police. They work hand in hand with the mafia. Ask anyone.

As I am getting off topic, I will close with saying that they REALLY mean it when they say don't mess with Texas and my opinion/truth is not invalidated because you don't think it 'makes sense'. I invite you to come to Texas and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Alright. But now you are talking about the manner in which they conduct themselves. And as I said before each police officer needs to be held accountable for the way they enforce the law and for their actions in general. I was never arguing this point. They need to be scrutinized more than most members of society.

But what I argued was that the blame for things you read in this article should not be but on police, but it should be put on the politicians that make these laws. Police get the orders to bust down a door, so they bust down a door. If they don't, they're unemployed. If they all refuse to be police officers because they disagree with some law, we would be without police officers. However if they bust down a door, without knowing who's in there and throw in a flashbang for good measure, now that would be wrong and I am well aware such things happen. Even in my country. But that was never the argument...

You changed the argument to the manner in which police officers conduct themselves, which I never refuted should be under close scrutiny. I am sorry if I was being dismissive of your opinion, I should have tempered it a bit. But you see, when the manner in which officers conduct themselves was never my argument I found it a bit weird I got a comment with a comparison to nazism and some reference to some law in your home state. When in your next reply you do not talk about laws, but about how officers conduct themselves. Two distinctively separate things. Your second comment I completely agree with. I have never been to Texas so I do not know what it's like. Nor will my country have such strict rules. And the examples you give are all serious cases of misconduct or downright criminal nature

And yes, if the pressure is great enough I believe politicians will change the status quo. Why? Because they will be replaced with ones that will, if the opinion of the public is swayed in such a way that their stance seems unattainable. And because they will be replaced with younger people, a bit more versed in these manners. Fast forward a few generations and we are on the right track. Through education

Last edited:
Actually I agree with you for the most part. Anger blurs my thought processes, but you have to know that many people, especially Bluelighters from the states, are just completely fed up with the absurd and Draconian laws (yes, crafted and implemented by our politicians-not the police) that we have been forced to live under for so long. We are shell-shocked beyond belief.

I would bet that many people in the states with lives that have been drastically altered by the drug laws in the U.S. may feel completely powerless as I once did.

Yes we can change the laws but the pace at which the laws will change is happening on a geological time scale while so many lives are ruined and it just seems like no one cares until the hammer comes down on them personally, and when that happens it can destroy one's world completely and results in killing or seriously maiming a person's spirit and sense of self. If convicted of a drug felony you can't even vote!

I don't even disagree with you anymore and I'm just too tired to debate right now.
Europeans of all sorts seem to see the sensible way to do things politically and honestly BlueBull I am jealous of your optimism. I am a pessimistic optimist and also extremely biased. I have been called a conspiracy theorist a couple of times but of course I disagree with that and at another time would gnaw that shit down to the bone.

However, I just proudly obtained my dual citizenship in Mexico and got the fuck out of Texas. I had an easy time with the process though since my mother is Mexican and it's my legal right to live in my mother country.
I will return someday but for now am enjoying my life here....the occasional automatic gunfire and inherent danger of being kidnapped not so much.

The general consensus amongst conservatives in Texas regarding marijuana: 'I don't really know anything about it aside from its illegal and it makes you high, which is a bad thing. So you got that wacky stuff you are a menace to the good old Texas society and we have no need for you, so might as well just spend the rest of your days in the pen. Now I am going to go drink 18 budweisers, watch NASCAR, beat my wife if Dale JR doesn't win and probably settle for sex with a farm animal.'

Actually I agree with you for the most part. Anger blurs my thought processes, but you have to know that many people, especially Bluelighters from the states, are just completely fed up with the absurd and Draconian laws (yes, crafted and implemented by our politicians-not the police) that we have been forced to live under for so long. We are shell-shocked beyond belief.

I would bet that many people in the states with lives that have been drastically altered by the drug laws in the U.S. may feel completely powerless as I once did.

Yes we can change the laws but the pace at which the laws will change is happening on a geological time scale while so many lives are ruined and it just seems like no one cares until the hammer comes down on them personally, and when that happens it can destroy one's world completely and results in killing or seriously maiming a person's spirit and sense of self. If convicted of a drug felony you can't even vote!

I don't even disagree with you anymore and I'm just too tired to debate right now.
Europeans of all sorts seem to see the sensible way to do things politically and honestly BlueBull I am jealous of your optimism. I am a pessimistic optimist and also extremely biased. I have been called a conspiracy theorist a couple of times but of course I disagree with that and at another time would gnaw that shit down to the bone.

However, I just proudly obtained my dual citizenship in Mexico and got the fuck out of Texas. I had an easy time with the process though since my mother is Mexican and it's my legal right to live in my mother country.
I will return someday but for now am enjoying my life here....the occasional automatic gunfire and inherent danger of being kidnapped not so much.

I really should've replied more sensibly. I wrote that comment at a pretty bad time. My apologies. I can understand experiences make you view things from a different perspective, and who's to say which perspective is skewed and which one is the right one, if there even is a right one.

The situation here is a bit different. Cops for the most part are pretty straight-forward over here. You have some assholes, but a lot of them, most of them actually, are in the police force for the right reasons. Also the law itself is a bit more lenient here. Sure they bust down doors sometimes, but they actually leave the soft drugs alone for the most part. I've even had a cop roll me a joint once at a festival, I was too wasted =D they tend to go after the harder stuff. And even there they seem to know the difference (the experienced ones at least) between substances. They are less inclined to give you a bad time if they find 1 or 2 pills than when you would be carrying amphetamines (speed). Because they know what causes the most problems and aggression.
Politically however this country is fucking mess. We hold the world record for the longest period without an appointed government. 589 DAYS. We had no government appointed after elections for 589 days because of everyone bickering about who gets to do what and in what coalitions and blahblablah. So they hold re-elections. The people had already voiced their opinions but that wasn't enough, they were bickering among eachother so the voice of the people was thrown out the window. Now a few years on, we're just after elections again and I get the feeling the same thing is going to happen again because the fighting has started again. Fuck politics

We will probably not bear the fruits of this positive trend I'm noticing in drug policy specifically but I am very sure our children or our children's children will. I hope for you that at one time you can live somewhere where you are glad to see a cop drive by, I really do. If I'm out for a night in town and I'm not doing anything illegal I am actually glad to see a cop once in a while, because I know they will leave you alone if you don't cause trouble. But that they will intervene should some asshole decide to ruin your night. Protect and serve, no more no less. And as far as the law goes, it's mighty time we burn this system down and rebuild it. Power and current politics in general have a corrupting influence on our so called "democratically appointed voices of the population" and that needs to be remedied, because if you leave it festering for too long it will grow roots in every part of society...

Last edited:
I keep hearing conservatives say "The cops aren't going after potheads just dealers." Not true at all.

Blue bull, you view is dangerously naive. Cops go out of their way to violate people in the US constantly. Check out police state USA.com for examples. You live in a bubble.

Where do you live exactly? In a gated community?

If you have a union that allows you to act with near impunity, you will take advantage of it. Protect and serve? More like violate and self-serve. As in, penetrate every orifice because there may be drugs and brutalize anyone who does not immediately submit then lie and file false charges against them. In some states it is an extreme liability to ever call the police. They will kill your suicidal loved one because he took a step toward them while holding a knife.

Yes, there are rare police/counties where finesse is used to de-escalate situations but this is becoming increasingly uncommon because of current law enforcement culture.

Blue bull, you view is dangerously naive. Cops go out of their way to violate people in the US constantly. Check out police state USA.com for examples. You live in a bubble.

Where do you live exactly? In a gated community?

If you have a union that allows you to act with near impunity, you will take advantage of it. Protect and serve? More like violate and self-serve. As in, penetrate every orifice because there may be drugs and brutalize anyone who does not immediately submit then lie and file false charges against them. In some states it is an extreme liability to ever call the police. They will kill your suicidal loved one because he took a step toward them while holding a knife.

Yes, there are rare police/counties where finesse is used to de-escalate situations but this is becoming increasingly uncommon because of current law enforcement culture.

Please learn to read properly as I'm not going to explain my point again. You are refuting claims I have never made. Again, I wasn't talking about the manner in which police enforce the law and conduct themselves. My point was something else entirely, I was talking about law and policy, of which you make no mention whatsoever. But thanks for your reply anyways. I guess...

Last edited:
You are detaching responsibility from those who enforce the laws and fixating on politicians, who won't change without the lobbies that dictate their policies are dismantled. I was referring to what you said earlier to my previous posts. The rest is Tl/dr, I care not for droning text walls.

I would like to go to the 2016 Harm Reduction conference in NYC with a huge contingent of parents whose children's lives have suffered ridiculous and tragic life consequences like these from the War on Drugs. Prohibitionists tend to blame it on us as bad parents but you can still change a lot of minds when you tell the personal stories of how this War on Our Kids is making felons of hundreds of thousands of young people. Whether that kid gets five years or life or even just probation or suspended sentence, he still has a felony to deal with, severely limiting his freedom to vote, to travel and perhaps most importantly, to work in many fields, if at all. It is shameful.

You are detaching responsibility from those who enforce the laws and fixating on politicians, who won't change without the lobbies that dictate their policies are dismantled. I was referring to what you said earlier to my previous posts. The rest is Tl/dr, I care not for droning text walls.

Then why do you come here to argue when you don't even take the time to see what my point is? Besides I never once claimed police do not act outrageous and overstep their boundaries, which is what your reply is all about. This article is about police busting down a door and arresting someone on a felony charge because hash oil constitutes a felony in TX. The cause of this is politics, law and policy. How police conduct themselves is outside the point and I was never talking about this. If it was one of the few good cops in the US, the door would have been busted down and the felony arrest would have been made, if it was the biggest asshole cop in the US, the door would have been busted down and the felony arrest would have been made. You brought police misconduct up and I never said I do not agree that this happens a lot and in sickening ways, which you seem to think for some reason...

*edit* Agree with herbavore

Last edited:
I would like to go to the 2016 Harm Reduction conference in NYC with a huge contingent of parents whose children's lives have suffered ridiculous and tragic life consequences like these from the War on Drugs.

This is a fantastic idea IMO.

And see, I encounter many people who think my views are too extreme and then proceed to ignore what I say as the ravings of a druggie.

I am a druggie and I do go on rants BUT these things are really happening. I back it up with newspaper/factual reports of news. Like the DEA working hand in hand with the Sinaloa cartel for example, or the Fast and Furious debacle and they decide to disbelieve bc that would mean waking to a horrifying realization that your government is lying to you and working with the same cartels it claims to fight. That is too hard to come to grasp with for many. People can be really blind in the face of facts.

The fact is that it has gotten really ugly in TX and the rest of the US in recent years. I feel far more free in Mexico to do as I will and not have to deal with the cops too much.
Things are very hard, no doubt, and things are very fucked up sometimes. My Tio was murdered here and there was no investigation and no arrest. 'Así es' is a very popular saying here, it means 'it's that way or life's like that' basically.

Texas Teen No Longer Faces Life in Prison for Pot Brownies

GEORGETOWN, TX — In a case that brought national attention to the absurdity of marijuana prohibition laws, prosecutors in Texas have dropped first-degree felony charges against 19-year-old Jacob Lavoro, meaning he no longer faces a possible life sentence for baking a tray of marijuana-infused brownies.

The Williamson County District Attorney’s Office on Tuesday dropped the first-degree felony charge against Lavoro, which carried stiff penalties, including a 10-year mandatory minimum to life sentence.

“The family and I are very grateful that common sense has prevailed,” says Jack Holmes, Lavoro’s lawyer, who until now has harshly criticized prosecutors for taking a relentless zero-tolerance approach in the case.

Earlier this month, Lavoro’s supporters delivered a petition with more than 243,000 signatures to the District Attorney’s Office requesting charges be reduced.

Lavoro is now charged with two lesser felonies related to his possession of hash oil and marijuana, facing second degree felony charges for possession and intent to distribute.

The more serious of those charges is a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison, but Lavoro could also be eligible for probation in a potential plea bargain agreement.

“We don’t want to get bogged down in the distractions,” Williamson County Assistant District Attorney Mark Brunner said, adding his office felt they could have gone forward with the case but did not feel it was worth the time.

Police allegedly caught Lavoro with a pound and a half of hash brownies and cookies last April, after a neighbor called Round Rock police saying the smell of smoke coming from Lavoro’s apartment was making her sick.

During a search of his apartment, police said they found several grinders and pipes, hash oil, marijuana cigarettes, loose marijuana, pot brownies and cookies and a total of $1,675 in cash scattered throughout the apartment.

Cont -

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014...longer-faces-life-in-prison-for-pot-brownies/

Glad he's not facing life but 2 to 20 is pretty rough for some pot brownies too.