• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Teams Owned by The League

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
Can anybody explain this to me? I have heard this about teams in the NBA, but I don't know if it is exclusive to just pro basketball. So I am wondering if anybody knows how this works.

• Who makes the decisions?
  • Where does the revenue go?
  • Are the owners the managers as well?
  • Is it meant to be a temporary solution?

Thanks

IDK about your question, I dont follow basketball.

Im posting in here cause I thought you might be lonely.

/hugs

I think its just temporary to keep the franchise alive while they find another buyer.....as far as how it works i dunno.....I think the Hornets are the lone rare franchise to be owned by the league

I know the NHL is in this situation with the Phoenix Coyotes. They kept on the GM and other front office people and they're allowed to make decisions as they normally would, but the league gives them a certain budget and they have to work within that until the league can find a suitable buyer.

When Bud Selig was 'de facto' commissioner of the MLB from 1992-1998, he still owned the Milwaukee Brewers. He had bought the Brewers as the Seatle Pilots in 1970, at which point he moved them to his hometown Milwaukee. After he took over as official commissioner of the MLB in '98, he transferred control of the Brewers to his daughter. She eventually sold the team in 2004. I don't know if this specifically relates to your question, but it's still awful funky.