• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Taxes on recreational MJ in Manitoba, Canada (who couldn't see this coming)

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Canadians tax. We over regulate and needlessly complicate things. Colorado went from prohibition to legalization in 35 days since their referendum passed in Nov, 2012.

GST (everyone in every province/territory will pay this) - 5%

PST (provincial sales tax, specific to each province/territory) - 8% for Manitoba

Excise tax - 75 cents per gram (for Manitoba)

9% Sin tax (I don't know what else to call it; it seems like it's a just because tax) (for Manitoba)

And you can't smoke anywhere except in your own house (and if renting you might be SOL).

Looks to me like a sparking recipe for success I'd say.

Tom

Stop whining. If you're so against taxes stop using public roads, when you get injured just go die in a corner on private property instead of going to the hospital. Better unlearn everything you got from that public school education too.

I'm happy to pay tax on legal weed. People who buy excessive amounts are giving states a ton of money for all public spending needs. It's great. It's still legal to trade with my friends without a tax...

I'm not whining; it's just this mad pig-at-the-trough behavior coupled with the fact that my province won't allow home cultivation, forcing me to use a medical exception to grow and be subject to a police inspection.

The federal government had 3 mandates in mind when legalizaing;

1) protect the youth

2) Make our communities safer

3) Reduce the size of the black market.

Prices for weed have been plummeting all across Canada (black market prices) and the new, added legal taxes make it more expensive.

And I do complain, politely and specifically to my MP, MLA and city councillor - hasn't done any good so far.

Other things piss me off about the legalization such as 'police can demand a breath/saliva sample from any driver without reason).

But yeah I do like the idea of hitting the store and just picking up pre rolls.

Tom