• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tapering suboxone

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
Any advice on tapering suboxone? I have been on it for a month about, and the side effects especially the constipation are just too much. I’m prescribed 6mgs a day but most of the time I only take 3mgs. I find it difficult to sleep on that much and I’m cold most of the day but not actually in full withdrawal. The program I’m in won’t give me advice about tapering because they say it’s too soon but my body disagrees.

Also how does one cut the strips to accurately measure doses like .8mgs or something. I have read other posts here and people mention doses like that but I don’t know how to do it when starting with 2mg strips
Thanks

I was thinking of making sub quiting thread myself im just not ready yet :/ cant really help you out alot but imo after a month only maybe cold trurkey is the way... What did you take before subs?

I got 8mg tablets and atm 1 is enugh for 3 days whitch is great, now all i need to do is find my balls and jump off.. In obsesed kinda with stacking /collecting drugs (to always have a shitload aside for i honestly dont know what reason) but im not good at it... End up giving away and eating it all in the end xd il start to give boxes and bottles to my mom for safe keeping at work or something :facepalm
Much love to all 🤘❤️🤘

Any advice on tapering suboxone? I have been on it for a month about, and the side effects especially the constipation are just too much. I’m prescribed 6mgs a day but most of the time I only take 3mgs. I find it difficult to sleep on that much and I’m cold most of the day but not actually in full withdrawal. The program I’m in won’t give me advice about tapering because they say it’s too soon but my body disagrees.

Also how does one cut the strips to accurately measure doses like .8mgs or something. I have read other posts here and people mention doses like that but I don’t know how to do it when starting with 2mg strips
Thanks
I’ll start by saying that you are already tapering. If you experience any withdrawal symptoms within 12-24 hrs after your dose (cold during the day & insomnia) then you are on the right track. Please take this advice and do not waiver. It is paramount to a successful jump off of suboxone with manageable withdrawals. I also want to start with the fact that you are only a month in. Long term suboxone use is by far the most difficult substance to kick. 5 years for me. #1 most important rule - don’t listen to your prescribing doctor. They want your money, this is a lifetime ball and chain if you listen to those fools. Suboxone is a great tool if used the way it is intended. Did you know that buprenorphine (suboxone) is available in 0.2mg tablets internationally? Not here in the states. Nope, we have the massive 8mg, 4mg and 2mg tablets/strips. Pharma wouldn’t even dare to give us the option of such a low dose. That would defeat their purpose of hook, line and sinker. No one, and I mean no one needs any more than 2mg for a maintenance dose during recovery. #2 - tapering will be uncomfortable. Get your mind right, prepare yourself mentally for the end goal. You must not not go up if you have gone down. I found that going from 12mg per day to 8mg was a breeze, no issue with that 4mg drop. The next drop was 8mg to 4mg. Not bad, but like you said, cold feet and a little irritable coupled with headaches and some insomnia. Now, I had to do 1/2mg drops from then on. 3.5mg for 8 days, 3mg for 8 days, 2.5mg for 2 weeks, 2mg for another 2 weeks and finally 1.5mg is where I called it quits. #3 - take 1/2 your dose as late in the day as you can. I found 11am to be the sweet spot for me. The other half of your dose when you are ready for bed, this will ensure you are able to sleep. Exercise before 11am. Endorphins are a huge advantage when tapering. With all of that said, you are only a month in. It’s not going to be a walk in the park by any means but YOU CAN DO THIS! I’m going to link an article that is full of an extreme amount of valuable information in regards to suboxone detox. Oh, 2mg strip - fold it in half, cut with razor blade - fold the 1mg strips in half and cut those etc. https://www.pbod.org/detoxing-suboxone-fear-caused-lack-knowledge/

Thanks for the great information and article. I hadn’t thought about the possibility of finding a psychiatrist to help me. I think I will try to and show him or her the article.I’m case you are wondering how I got on suboxone: I was on oxy for chronic pain since about 2003.and then ( around 2012)I started running out early. I would manage the withdrawals with loperamide or kratom. Then , in 2022 I moved, ( lost my primary care doctor because of the move) and got a stomach infection that was so bad that nothing would stay down. I was actually in the hospital and on TPN ( total perferal nutrition: iv vitamins and lipids) for about 3 weeks. In the hospital I was given IV morphine but once I was released I was only given a week of pain medicine. Food gradually started to stay down but kratom still wouldn’t. And they still weren’t entirely sure what antibiotics would help. I was sent home on a list of them to throw at it.

By then, the state insurance program ( Medi-cal) had assigned me to a new PCP. I went to her and she refused to give me anything for pain. She told me to take ibuprofen ( which I was already maxing out on daily and still couldn’t sleep from the stomach pain and the hip pain that originally started me on opiates) She said she put in a stat referral for GI and pain management but I still haven’t heard from either.

Yes I still need to find a new primary care doctor with a lot more sense and compassion but I don’t drive ( I’m disabled and use a wheelchair) and during this time I was still throwing up at least once a day and having diarrhea. So, the idea of calling Medi-cal waiting for their choice list in the mail, making appointments, traveling to and from all of them on public transportation ( when I went to the appointment with my current assigned Dr, I used non- emergency medical transportation which costed over 100 dollars for a local round trip) was just too overwhelming.

I got so tired of the constant stomach pain that I went online and found a suboxone program. Meanwhile, I guess some of the antibiotics finally got control over whatever was causing the stomach issues because it’s resolved now ( I did manage to convince my new doctor to switch some of the antibiotics to liquid which I thought might be easier to keep down and it was).

So, now that my stomach is on speaking terms with me again I just want off suboxone and back on kratom as I still need pain control because of my hip.

I have read that once I get down to .25mgs I should be able to switch back to kratom without a problem and hardly any withdrawals, if any. Has anyone made the switch? If so, can you comment on how correct the above statement appears to be please?

Sorry if I put too much info in this post. I have Asperger's syndrome as well as cerebral palsy and I have been told I frequently include too much detail in stories for neuro-typical taste

Last edited:
Kratom usually works after 36 hours off subs but I found it was ineffective after 60 hours but I’m sure at 0.25mg daily will work much better; I tried to cold turkey 16mg daily by switching to Kratom and that was a complete disaster

I just discovered after 10 days of averaging 1 mg a day I am no longer getting cold; give it time and it will pass. There is a taper site for bupe that is help me get off drugs; you can put in the dose you have taken for the last ten days and it will calculate a steady dose and taper calculator. If you take the steady dose you shouldn’t experience any withdrawal. Also remember 2 mg is closer to the midpoint I’m having difficulty dropping from 1mg to 0.75mg but switching to tapering every other day has proven success vs using the exact taper schedule try a taper day and a steady day. Best of luck

Last edited:
helpmegetoffdrugs dot com
I did it the other way around. The jump from 30g kratom/day was easily possible for me with 2mg Subutex (bupherorphine without naloxone).

BUT: I did this because kratom is a nasty stuff. For me and many others, it causes powerful psychological effects when withdrawn. I felt completely depressed, hopeless and kind of doomed. I couldn't stand it and therefore switched to other opiates, which I was then able to withdraw from.
I don't want to badmouth you, I just want to warn you. warm greetings