• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tapering off Xanax, 1-2mg's a day- down to .5mg's need advice!

Edaw'Naflagn

Bluelighter
I just picked up my Valium today and Xanax yesterday, I haven't touched the Xanax at all, only the Valium. I'm still taking 20mg's of Valuim and the first couple weeks I would need sometimes .5-1mg's of xanax later on that night to be okay. Now I only need 20mg's of Valium once a day/night. I'm having problems sleeping but I have my opiates- HydroCodone, & OxyContins with Roxicodone's as well to help with my normal daily pain, & sleep if I have to. I'm just wondering how much longer now will I need to go down to only 10mg's of Valium a day? It's been 4 weeks now and I only need 20mg's of Valium a day/night; so I'm guessing another 2 weeks and I can down it to 10? And maybe another 10 if I feel like I really have to take it? I'm trying to not take any Xanax at all during this taper and just use the Valium's I have. I have a total of 40 Valium's- 10mg's with 60 .5mg's xanax. I also get Temazepam 30mg's every month for sleep, but haven't been using them at all since I'm tapering down to at least .075 or just .5 every other day because I'm not stoping benzo's 100% just lowering my tolerance while being able to take them medically for my PTSD/extreme aniexty/PPD as well. I'm hoping it'll be at least just 2-4 more months were I'll be good to be off them an not need them like I did before and kinda do now too. Just not nearly as bad; also I'll keep taking my Xanax every other day to every 3 days a week once this is done with and I don't really have any really nasty WD's with out them for a day or more. So what's anyone's advice for this? How should I keep going? & how long till I should go to 10mg's a day? Any comments would help me, I know I made a thread on this before but I perfer the help of the BL staff/memebers and their personal experience with this shit or what they know at the least.
Thanks,
Edaw

Last edited:
Id go down slow i went from 3 mg to 10 mg ativan for 3 days to zero and i was kinda bonkers and squirming and very very uncomfortable. If i could do it again id prob go down 0.25 mg every 2 weeks

Id go down slow i went from 3 mg to 10 mg ativan for 3 days to zero and i was kinda bonkers and squirming and very very uncomfortable. If i could do it again id prob go down 0.25 mg every 2 weeks
Thanks for the post man I'll try too.

Please be aware stopping benzodiazepines increases your risk of seizures similar to when someone who drinks heavily stops. If you start developing agressive behavior, psychosis, manic or suicidal thoughts go to the hospital or see a doctor immediately. Xanax effects gaba which is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and stopping xanax could cause a imbalance in excitory inhibitory signaling leading to potentially dangerous changes in your cognition similar to many mental disorders.

Please be aware stopping benzodiazepines increases your risk of seizures similar to when someone who drinks heavily stops. If you start developing agressive behavior, psychosis, manic or suicidal thoughts go to the hospital or see a doctor immediately. Xanax effects gaba which is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and stopping xanax could cause a imbalance in excitory inhibitory signaling leading to potentially dangerous changes in your cognition similar to many mental disorders.
Oh I know I've been there man. Both mentally and physically. As in I went to a mental ward due to "phycosis" but truly it was due to Ativan and Prozac WD's. They said it was due to weed, nope didn't listen and tossed me in a ward... But I've had seizures when I was on 2-8mg's of xanax a day back then. I'm down to 1mg max to just .5mg's.

^Edaw, is there a time constraint on your taper or can you essentially go as slow as you'd like. I know when I get off Opioids, especially Methadone, I like to "rip the band aid off quick" as opposed to dealing with protracted, nagging withdrawal for weeks. Benzodiazepines are different though. They are more extreme and are capable of causing a vast number of complications during the withdrawal phase. I would go as slow as humanly possible. I don't see any need to torture yourself.

^Edaw, is there a time constraint on your taper or can you essentially go as slow as you'd like. I know when I get off Opioids, especially Methadone, I like to "rip the band aid off quick" as opposed to dealing with protracted, nagging withdrawal for weeks. Benzodiazepines are different though. They are more extreme and are capable of causing a vast number of complications during the withdrawal phase. I would go as slow as humanly possible. I don't see any need to torture yourself.
I agree 100% man that's why imma do a slow, good, taper man. Thanks for the info too.

Also I get a load of Valium, Temazepam, Xanax. So I'll have a huge stash to keep for my taper and in case of an emergency dose/dose's.

Monthly scripts:
Xanax-14 1mg's every week
Xanax-90 .5mg's every month
Temazepam-60 30mg's every month
Temazepam-30 15mg's every month
Valium-30-60 10mg whenever I need them.
Stash atm:
Xanax-80ish .5mg's
Temazepam-30 15mg's
Valium- 24 10mg's

Will be getting more benzodiazepines soon today and probably tomorrow too. It'll be 15mg Temazepam's & Xanax 1mg's/10mg Valium too. This will all add to my stash I'll keep stacking till I'll have around 100-200, (adding up every benzo
I'll have) in a month or two from now.