• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Tapering off heroin.

Sharenneedles

Greenlighter
I know. First thoughts are "It won't work." Let me enlighten you to my situation.
I started using about 10 months ago with a friend, smoking only, I didn't use much at all..Maybe .10 of a gram
Fast forward to about 5 months ago, haven't seen my friend since then. I started using roughly .20, give or take a few points, of a gram every day since then to simply keep withdrawals away. I can make a .20 sac last me 24 hours easily.
I can honest to god say I have not gotten high off opiates since I've seen my friend.

Why do it then, if not to get high and enjoy myself? Withdrawals. I use it to medicate and keep the WDs away. It's is the only reason I still even go near the stuff. I hate every fiber of it, I hate the disgusting smell, I hate the way it tastes, I hate having to inhale that disgusting smoke into my lungs. If I don't, though, I simply do not feel normal. I am in a constant state of being unable to eat, sleep, or even experience certain temperatures without shuddering in pain.

That's why, tapering, at least for me, seems feasible in the fact that I don't have a problem with control and wanting to smoke my whole stash to get high. If I'm about to go to bed and only have a piece the size of a half a tic-tac left, I'll put it away and save it until the next day to medicate with. Which is enough "cure" me for a few hours.

Would it even work, though? By that I mean, will tapering down to less and less even accomplish anything..Or is it going to be I can get away with using .10 of a gram in a 24 hour period, but once I stop using all together the withdrawals will be just as severe if I had quit from a .50 sac?

Basically the question is: Is it even possible for me to lower my tolerance to the point that when I stop completely, the withdrawals won't be nearly as bad?

Any insight with anyone who has tried this and had any form of experiment or success with it is welcome.