• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tapering from opiates

Myers711

Greenlighter
I hope my story and info will help someone out there... And maybe I'll get some advice from all of you amazing people!
So I have posted on here one time before explaining my battle with prescription pain killers, OxyContin and Oxycodone to be exact. At the worst I was at 180-200 mg a day, but now I have successfully tapered from 100 mg a day to 10 mg in a month. I tell you this has been ROUGH. Here's my history.

-26 year old female, bartender, cocktail waitress.
-abusing opiates for 2 and a half years.
-cold turkey of of tapering to 40 mg and was clean for short amount of time, then relapse.
- now, in 1 month I went from cutting the 100 mg a day to 60, then 40, 20, now finally 10.
- currently 27 hours clean.

HOLY SHIT I should have tapered like this last time I detoxed! I cannot express how much easier it was.
Overall it was uncomfortable, but I wasn't lying in a heap on my bathroom floor covered in sweat and tears for 4 to 7 days in a row!!! I cut down every week and that initial shock to my body made me very lethargic and my back pain was TERRIBBLE, but any time I needed to I took ibuprofen, Immodium, melatonin, and valerian root. All of these things are a MUST HAVE.

Because of my job being so physical I could not go to work feeling too Bad, and it is SO HARD to act like nothing is wrong when your mind is screaming at you, filling your psyche with awful thoughts of suicide, depression, anxiety, and in my case most of all ANGER. So I decided to taper as low as I could this time instead of jumping from 40 mg, it was long and drawn out but I hope everybody tries to taper like this! Today at 27 hours I feel a bit shaky... Fast heart beat, the sweats a little, my stomach feels kindof crazy but I mega dosed Immodium yesterday, (30 mgs total) but shouldn't I be feeling wayyyy worse by now????? Did my taper actually work?!?!? Am I going to get worse you think?
I have 2 of the 2 mg suboxen, I cut them into quarters so each is .25 mg. I took one about 10 minutes ago to make sure I didn't feel like dog shit at work. If I only take the .25 twice a day do you think in 4 days I'll be pretty safe?
Or for some reason is my body not totally realizing I haven't taken anything in 27 hours so I'm going to feel like complete shit pretty soon???

Any input I would love and appreciate, and any advice I can give on my taper and things I did to help I will be happy to help. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

Hey good job, you should be alright I mean you are already almost a day and a half off the oxy, and the total of 4 mg of Bupe you have should absolutely get you through any withdrawal symptoms just keep taking the small amounts of sub farther and farther apart, sounfs like you got this. Just like you tapered with the Oxy, taper now with that 4mg of sub over the course of a week and you'll be fine and not physically dependant on the sub since you tapered on only 4 mgs :)

I worked all night and ran my ass off and felt great the whole time! I was laughing again and actually enjoying chatting with customers and joking around. I felt a bit awkward just cause my brain is stuck on stupid, and I had the shakes pretty bad. But DAMN I felt alive again! It's so weird realizing what a hazy fog I've been in, even when I was just taking my tapered down dose of 10 mg!

I have a question though. Do you think my tapering helped my brain get the real dopamine coming back again already? Because I didn't feel any depression today like I remember in my last detox. I'm sure I'll have my ups n downs, but I don't feel anywhere near suicidal like I was on the Oxy, or during my last time after detox.
Thanks so much!!!!!! Staying strong!!!!!

Its most likely your mindset, opposed to dopamine levels.. Also, the bupe' is probably helping in that department. You'll know what you have, once you're sub free, for about a week.

- Hopeless Soul

I agree it's probably a combo of your mindset and the Suboxone, Buprenorphine has antidepressant properties as well, but tapering is always a huge plus as it reduces severity of withdrawal symptoms. The first time I got clean in 2007 I did it by tapering and skipping days with Heroin, so the withdrawal was super minimal and I immediately got involved in the program my life literally turned around a 180 from where I was a week before I was riding what they call "the Pink Cloud" so keep your attitude up be grateful be happy you made the decision to stop being a slave to the Oxy! Think about always keeping a few low dose subs on hand for if ever you feel the urge to really want oxy, take 1mg of Sub to stop that urge

Thank you guys for your advice. I am getting bad headaches and my ears feel like they need to pop (feels like my head is full of pressure) from these Subs. And right before bed both nights my left forearm and wrist got really achy, and began feeling numb. Whaaaaat????

Anyone have these problems and symptoms? I'm drinking lots of water and work is making me exercise, so what could be causing this? I am on 150 mg of Sertraline (Zoloft) a day since I was 13. Do you think it could be having weird interactions? Orrrrr something else totally unrelated?

I couldn't find an explanation for both of my symptoms together, I appreciate any input! Or if anyone has these too so I don't think I'm dying! Lol Thank you all :) ❤️