• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tapering and withrawal from opiates

Barbm

Greenlighter
Hi, I am new here. I have been taking opiates for several years. As per CDC guidelines my dosage was cut by more than half this past year. As this dose has not been effective in pain management, and I felt I was too the point where the opiates were sucking the life out of me, I decided to taper off. My pain doctor was not at all helpful. As she would not prescribe enough to help my pain, she wanted to keep me on what she would give me. She cut me from all immediate release to some immediate release and added extended release. I personally didn't like the extended release because they made me drowsy. Anyway, I tapered off of the extended release first, she did give me the lowest dosage (15mg morphine er) so that I could discontinue them easier. It was a little rough as it was difficult to sleep due to pain, but I sucked it up and got it done. So, my next step was the immediate release taper. The doctor, again, didn't seem interested in helping, as a matter of fact, after telling her I was done with the ER, she asked if I was sure I didn't need a refill on them! Really?? Thanks for the support Doc! So she prescribes me another month of the immediate release, says nothing about tapering. So, I use my best judgement and do it myself. I took the last "piece" of a pill, which was 2.5mg (1/4 of a 10mg oxycodone hcl), at 10pm four days ago, today will be day 5. I feel quite tired, have the pain I was taking the meds for to begin with, but other than that I am not bad. I thought that days 3 & 4 were supposed to be really bad. Did the tapering help avoid that, or is there still a chance that withdrawal will still kick in? I mean, I certainly don't feel like hopping in my car and going anywhere, but I am not in bad shape. So, does anyone know if I am on my way to feeling better, or can withdrawal symptoms still happen? Thanks in advance!!

Hi, welcome to Bluelight! Sounds like you're doing okay and perhaps tapering the way you did reduced the withdrawal symptoms. My final taper was in 2011 also from short acting pain meds. I had mostly gastrointestinal and sweating/chills. But it started the day after my last dose and lasted for three days. It's normal to feel listless and I hope it passes soon. I would think if you were going to be sick, you would be feeling it by now. Your mileage may vary. Good for you on quitting!

You didn't really go into detail about your taper regiment, so it's kind of hard to judge, however if you're on day 5 since your last dose, I would say as far as WD symptoms go, you're out of the woods for the most part, it's been long enough to where they won't just start up all of a sudden.

As far as your original condition goes, this is another story. When people use opioids it diminishes their natural opioid production, thus making them more sensitive to pain. If you can have self control, it might not be a bad idea to have a few of the instant releases lying around, in case of an emergency.

- Hopeless Soul

As per CDC guidelines? Did I miss something?
Are they forcing people to to have there medication cut? There are people that need them to live an have more problems with pain than the doctors do with abusers

Yes, the CDC has come up with new "guidelines" for prescribing opiates. The first thing the doctor will do if you are on only immediate release is put you on extended release and reduce your immediate release. What it basically comes down to is the Government controlling our health care. They are blaming the heroin epidemic on pain patients, basically. They can't seem to differentiate between dependence and addiction. It is pretty sad. As they are only guidelines, the doctors do not have to follow them, but many do in fear of the DEA coming into their offices and putting pressure on them. I once was one of the patients who felt I needed to be on these pills to deal with my chronic pain. However, I now believe that they (opiates) are not effective long term. I am still in daily pain, but since I stopped taking them, the pain has drastically reduced. The opiates were bonding with the receptors in my brain and making my body think it was in more pain than it is. I know it sounds crazy, and I fought that idea for a long time. But it did get to the point where I got tired of feeling like crap, and depending on pills to do simple things, like shower. I am still having difficulty with energy, but from what I am hearing, it will get better. My body has been dependent on the pills for so long that it is missing them. Withdrawal is over, but the healing has just begun. I never had a mental addiction, I didn't feel high when I took my meds. I took them exactly as prescribed, so I am okay in that sense. It is the physical weakness, if you will, that I need to overcome now. I wish they would find something effective for pain that doesn't have such addictive consequences.

Thank you for responding! Yes, my original reason for taking meds does still exist. It has been difficult, but my pain level has reduced dramatically since I stopped the meds. I know that I will have days that I will be down, but I will never take an opiate again. I will use the self control I have to deal with pain and stay away from the pills. Maybe I will smoke a joint, lol. Nah, makes me retarded. I will take hot baths and do abdominal massages, etc. Whatever it takes. I just want my life back. I used to think my disease stole my life, now I truly believe the opiates did.

Are you out of the woods? Yes and no.

You are pretty much over the immediate withdrawal symptoms. However, post acute withdrawal is your next hurdle. It comes at random times over the next month or three. I got depressed for no reason at times. I'd crave realllllllllly badly. I used medical cannabis to overcome this, though substitution is obviously not the answer. I still smoke, just a lot less.

As i said, i do not recommend substituting one substance for another. But, have you looked into MMJ for pain relief? You may not be in a medical state and I understand the limitations there as well as the risks. If smoking makes you feel nervous or uncomfortable, try an edible made with a strain specifically for pain.

Thank you!! Yes, by now I am pretty certain I am clear of withdrawal. Now I have to work on repairing my body. My energy level is extremely low right now, but I know that it will get better a little at a time. Trying to get some protein and such, it is just difficult as my appetite is almost non existent. It's funny, my brain is ready to go, but my body will not cooperate. I guess it is all about time. I appreciate your response.

Thank you!! Yes, by now I am pretty certain I am clear of withdrawal. Now I have to work on repairing my body. My energy level is extremely low right now, but I know that it will get better a little at a time. Trying to get some protein and such, it is just difficult as my appetite is almost non existent. It's funny, my brain is ready to go, but my body will not cooperate. I guess it is all about time. I appreciate your response.

absolutely. you can prob tell i'm an advocate for Medicinal marijuana use. It got me off of pain pills and benzos. And like I said, if you don't wanna get "high" with weed, there are so many other great products (lotions, sprays, edibles, etc.) that don't fuck you up. They do help with pain and nausea and pretty much every symptom of WD. My blood pressure even drops when I smoke it. That's my 14 cents on it. I'm impressed with your willpower and hope you can continue opioid/opiate free.

Best of luck.