• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Tapentadol withdrawal?

Jungo871

Bluelighter
I've been dabbling with various dosages of tapentadol 100mg, feel terrible when not on it yet doesn't do nothing for me as far as rec goes. I get prescribed co-codamol and have a lot of kratom. I also have tramadol 100mg tablets, but don't like the drug as it is dangerous. Would kratom along with co-codamol stop me feeling like this? Not looking to get high just feel normal thanks

The kratom and codeine should help with the tapentadol withdrawal, but they aren't quite as strong, so it depends on what doses you were using of the tapentadol.
Another issue you may run into is that tapentadol, like tramadol, affects serotonin, it's an SNRI I believe. This means when you cease taking it you're withdrawing from opiates and have depleted serotonin.

If you're not getting high on it anymore it's a good idea to slowly taper the amount you're taking down to nothing.

Are you getting withdrawals when you're not using?

TBH I walked into taking tapentadol not really knowing what I was doing and have been on it, for at least 2-3 weeks. Doses between 400mg. Yesterday felt terrible took 400mg and felt normal. Got up this morning feeling terrible and took 200mg which within an hour, made me feel normal.

Yes thought this was a better version of tramadol as that stuff has too many side effects sezuires. I have 2 strips of 10 tablets so 2000mg left. I definitely know it's this stuff that's causing it, had diarrhoea, hot and cold flushes and generally feel really depressed. What would be the best way to taper? As soon as I wake up I feel terrible, then 2 of these no high just functional. Don't like taking the kratom with it as know that works on serotonin. Had feelings like this before, feel very lethargic and fatigue. This stuff is potent. Wish I could half the pills but think I'm pushing it, with what I've done today as taken doses up to 500mg a day. Don't want to mix tramadol as that stuff seems to interact with every other drug.

Sorry for the late response, hope you are doing well. Tapentadol acts on the μ-opioid receptor (MOR) as an agonist and inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine. It's pain killing uses are coming from its action on the opioid receptor and its antidepressant effects are coming from the norepinephrine inhibition. The norepinephrine inhibition is similar to that of antidepressants such as Venlafaxine (Effexor) and Duloxetine (Cymbalta). Tapentadol is an opioid and differs from opiates (drugs that metabolize into morphine) such as Codeine and Hydrocodone. Tapentadol does not have any known active metabolites, unlike opiates and Tramadol. Tramadol is however, quite similar to Tapentadol, in that it has a dual mechanism of action in that acts at the same receptor sites. Tramadol is different from Tapentadol in one key way that is that it does have an active metabolite that you may already be aware of. O-desmethyltramadol (O-DSMT) is more potent than Tramadol and is more competitive than Tramadol at the μ-opioid receptor displacing it. What you are describing sounds characteristic of both physical and psychological withdrawal. I would recommend tapering immediately with Kratom. Tapentadol is about half the Morphine Milligram Equivalent (MME) of Morphine. Here is a guide from Reddit with instructions on how to taper off.

Best of luck!

Hi thank you very much for your reply. It was 3 days of hell, it also was mixed with another drug 100mg tapentadol and 125mg of carisoprodol. I don't remember how or why, I started abusing it but didn't even get me that high. I lay on the couch for 3 days, feeling depressed and basically lost in my own mind? I couldn't be bothered with anything or anyone. I was trying to get a high from the carisoprodol, which I think metabolises into a barbiturate-like drug. I was yawning and had diarrhoea. I managed to miraculously get off it, by tapering, then I took 2 300mg pregabalin and lost my tolerance and boom what a feeling. The euphoria was strong and ended up taking 1800mg pregabalin. Doesn't last though, next day woke up late afternoon still a bit buzzed. Tried to take it again and nothing. Tolerance develops the day after using for me. Still got some and when take it nothing. Got through the tapentadol withdrawals and would warn people, you are right this is a powerful opioid, which acts directly on mu opioid receptors. Tramadol doesn't do much for me, it seems I don't have the efficient liver enzymes to break the drug down. I have been taking 100mg tablets of that maybe 3x a day, but careful with drugs that act on serotonin. I once had a sezuire with tramadol, fluoxetine and alcohol. Very weird any dangerous drug that seems to act on every receptors in the brain. I took a couple of pregabalin when on it, not for a high, but because it stops sezuires, along with my daily diazepam. Getting to the point need a break from drugs, as they always mess me up. I only dabble but tapentadol, very powerful and the withdrawals were really bad. The depression was intense. Sorry I'm going on, had an armodafinil tonight as had something to do. Thanks for reply.

Hey, no worries about rambling. I am glad that you got through it. It goes to show that almost everything can be addictive. I used to have a perspective that all drug addiction was controllable, but now after using quite a few different substances I realize that it can exist. Some drugs can overpower what you truly want. I should have always been of this mindset because having anxiety and viewing it as illogical but it persisting. I'm not sure, I continue to learn and grow with each day, but some things can only be learned with experience.

Hi I just want to say opioids are really not my thing, but want to give people a warning about this drug, and I would like to know what people think about what happened to me. On Wednesday I ended up in hospital after collapsing and couldn't stay coherent. On Tuesday night I stayed up all night, and took 600mg of pregabalin, not prescribed, but feel like I'm addicted as been buying it for months. Anyway on top of that took 8mg of clonazepam, not prescribed. Took an unknown amount of my prescribed diazepam. I then had 1 can of budweiser, and I took 1 gram of phenibut. I also took around 200mg-250mg of tapentadol during the night, into the morning of Wednesday again, not prescribed. Saying all this sounds ridiculous, but thought I had a high tolerance. I had an appointment, which I don't wish to discuss and was fine. Afterwards I got a bit excited as felt a bit high and smoked a bong, along with a joint. That's when things went from feeling OK, to falling over, couldn't keep conscious, opened my eyes for a second fell asleep again. I felt as if someone was throwing a pipe down my throat, and there was someone who kept twisting my ear, which woke me up for a second. When I got to hospital was there two days, getting a saline drip. Someone who is a alcohol and drugs worker said they gave me 5 hits of nalaxone. In the UK, you get it IM in your leg. They gave me more at hospital and was told I had severe suppressed breathing. I got out after two days, and now I'm more sensible. I feel stupid saying the weed caused this, but after a bong, and a joint It started after that and was fine before I had that smoke. The worker at hospital offered me methadone or subutex, lol I said no straight away. I'm not into opioids and only ever had a problem with codeine, which I got over. Alcohol was also my first problem and caused me health and legal problems. I don't believe that tapentadol was the only problem, as I had taken benzos, pregabalin and phenibut, which are all gabaergics and combined with the tapentadol, I think that's what caused it. I just wanted to share my story and warn others to be very careful. I have looked up tapentadol and apparently, it is a very strong mu opioid agonist. After coming close to death, I think its time I tried to stop everything. Can't stop the diazepam as been on it nearly 7 years 30mg, lost 5mg due to abusing other drugs, now on 25mg a day. Doctor is cutting my co-codamol down from 4 30/500, to 3 a day for a month. Also take 2 zopiclone a week which is for when I need it, and mirtazapine. Just want to warn people to be careful and if anyone has feedback that would be great. Now I'm trying to get off that pregabalin, but with 300mg caps, it is very hard. 2 days without it I feel like shit. Stay safe and peace

Sorry for the late response, hope you are doing well. Tapentadol acts on the μ-opioid receptor (MOR) as an agonist and inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine. It's pain killing uses are coming from its action on the opioid receptor and its antidepressant effects are coming from the norepinephrine inhibition. The norepinephrine inhibition is similar to that of antidepressants such as Venlafaxine (Effexor) and Duloxetine (Cymbalta). Tapentadol is an opioid and differs from opiates (drugs that metabolize into morphine) such as Codeine and Hydrocodone. Tapentadol does not have any known active metabolites, unlike opiates and Tramadol. Tramadol is however, quite similar to Tapentadol, in that it has a dual mechanism of action in that acts at the same receptor sites. Tramadol is different from Tapentadol in one key way that is that it does have an active metabolite that you may already be aware of. O-desmethyltramadol (O-DSMT) is more potent than Tramadol and is more competitive than Tramadol at the μ-opioid receptor displacing it. What you are describing sounds characteristic of both physical and psychological withdrawal. I would recommend tapering immediately with Kratom. Tapentadol is about half the Morphine Milligram Equivalent (MME) of Morphine. Here is a guide from Reddit with instructions on how to taper off.

Best of luck!

Just wanted to point out that the definition of an opiate is not a drug that metabolizes into morphine. It is a drug that is derived from alkaloids in the poppy. Hydrocodone, oxycodone, heroin, and a number of others are all opiates, but only heroin, from among those metabolizes into morphine. Codeine also does, I didn't list it. An opioid is any drug that has action on the opioid receptors. Opiates are a subset of opioids. Examples of non-opiate opioids are tramadol, fentanyl, tianeptine, kratom (well, mitragynine and 7-HO-mitragynine to be precise), and many others.

To the OP, all of the drugs you listed that you have will be able to help against tapentadol withdrawals. Of course, they're all opioids too, so it's not like you'll be able to bypass withdrawal, but you'll be able to cover withdrawals once you run out of tapentadol. Kratom is your best bet for coming off, you can use it to replace the tapentadol and quickly taper down and come off and if you haven't fucked with kratom addiction before, you should be able to have minimal discomfort when you come off.

By the way, tramadol is not that dangerous, if you dose it responsibly and don't mix it with any stimulants. It's quite well tolerated at reasonable dosages, the seizure risk doesn't come into play until you dose high or mix it.