• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids taking too much kratom

feebleit

Greenlighter
So i apologize if this has been covered in another post. I have a hard time navigating to exactly what i'm looking for on here, especially using the B.L. search bar.

Anyways, I like to take kratom every day for depression, motivation, and just overall happiness that I just don't get from my "base-line" sober state, like many of you on here i'm sure. When I first discovered it I just took 1 tsp every 2-3 days, which was perfect (I also smoked marijuana everyday back then though and kratom helped me cut way down). It didn't take long before I was taking a tsp everyday. Then eventually I started taking more using 1 tsp around noon and then 1 tsp a few hours after dinner. I would run out every so often and would have to take a 5-7 day cold turkey break without tapering, even though I would always try to taper off to prevent the mild-moderate rebound effect (which sucks). It soon started to not give me the same nice vibe that it had when I started, so some days I would take 1 tsp in the morning and 1.5 - 2 tsp in the evening. I just recently doing 1 tsp in the morning and 2 tsp in the afternoon and then 2 tsp in the evening. I always thought "less was more" with kratom but when I take less I barely notice I took it.

I really want to cut back drastically. Ideally I'd like to take 1 tsp every 3 days, but I am a very weak individual when it comes to drugs that make you feel like you're wrapped in a warm blanket on very cold winter night.

Should I just go cold turkey? Or just keep trying to taper? Also, Let me know what your "kratom diet" looks like and tell me why you take it.

I also got a Vyvanse prescription for ADHD-pi , so i'm afraid that i'll end up using that everyday and be unable to take even a day off.

Idk man, if you're as weak willed as you say you are, I'd just stop. Just CT, or if that's too severe, use dxm while in wd or use loperamide to taper (but just take 1 pill, half a pill even). Should be more than enough to help with such a low tolerance.

I was like you until I discovered the much stronger kratom extracts/tinctures and became a full blown addict. Started using other opiates too. It went from every few days to every two hours just to not go into what would have been a pretty severe wd. I quit using exactly the two methods mentioned above. Dxm got me through the acute stage, and then loperamide (which is an opioid btw, it just doesn't cross the blood brain barrier and thus will not get you high)

Honestly, your kratom habit doesn't sound like it'll be hard at all to CT from, I've CT'd from kratom probably 4 times and it was never that bad except for the anxiety, I had horrible anxiety to begin with at that time anyway. If, and only if, you trust yourself with benzos, you could try to get some for the anxiety. I'd tell you how but I'm pretty sure it's against site rules. Compared to other opiates, kratom withdrawal is honestly nothing. The "rebound" effect you're feeling is actually probably withdrawal already. Oh and I've never once had kratom wd last for more than 2 days, the 24 hour point is the worst, after that, you'll be good to go.

Oh yeah one more thing-when my tolerance started to build up and I had to take 5-10 grams a dose (I was dosing every 3 hours or so) I started to get bad heartburn and was nauseous all the time. Even strong opioids don't do this to me, so I think it was because of the sheer volume of plant matter in my stomach. I've also read that ulcers are a common problem among life long users. And using opiates will only worsen your depression in the long run. So just something to keep in mind.

ALL THAT SAID,
If you really think you can keep use sporadic, go for it. But if you see it going out of control again, stop. Also, you will most likely need to quit for a while to get high from it again. Lowering your dose will prevent wds, but it's unlikely to actually get you high, as you're noticing already. I've used 5g for a week or two, quit for a week, and almost immediately had to go back to 5g, but I was using daily again.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out well for you!

^^ I really wouldn't suggest benzo's at all - the withdrawal from Kratom is nowhere near severe enough to require them and they are a billion times more addictive.

Loperamide however is a miracle for helping with opioid WD - just a few 2mg caps will stop the GI distress, reduce the sweats, hit enough peripheral receptors to massively reduce every physical effect which by itself makes the psychological aspect easier.

Yeah I should've clarified that benzos would ONLY be for the duration of wds and only if you REALLY need them. As I said, I have pretty severe anxiety to begin with, so it's entirely possible that won't be an issue for the OP.

Actually, OP, scratch the benzos, try kava tea, idk if you're allowed to discuss brands but this is totally legal so look for yogi stress relief tea with kava extract.

And yeah, loperamide is a freaking lifesaver. I was at the point where 20g of kratom wouldn't do anything before I quit and by the time I got off the loperamide all I had were mild chills for like 6 hours, it was unbelievable.

Last edited:
I did a very good taper from 10g a day down to 2.5g a day using nigella sativa seed oil and a schedule for when i was allowed to take it.

i honestly have no problem with benzos.. They really don't give me any feeling of great well being like opiates,opioids do. I've taken xanax (and valium) before and forgot i even took it, felt nothing. I have moderate social anxiety but zero physical anxiety or panic attacks, so benzos don't seem to work at all for me. It may help but it's not an option because I really only have access to phenibut. I didn't know loperamide helped kratom wd's ,i may buy some. I'm not that weak willed I guess i'm just convinced kratom isn't harmful at all (like weed), so I guess i don't feel that guilty taking a lot of kratom.... One more Question... Is there any evidence that kratom is even remotely bad for your brain or body??? Does it deplete dopamine and over stimulate your receptors?? i appreciate all the replies =))

It's a [weak] opiate so yes, it can cause dependency. I also noticed that when I was using kratom daily (think 5-30 grams a day for over 2 months) I had acid reflux and felt like I had a sour stomach all the time, carried tums with me everywhere I went.

I don't like taking more than 5-6 grams of Kratom. At doses over 6g's the stimulant effects ruin the effects of the relatively weak mitragynine-based alkaloids in the plant. My sweet spot is 3-5.5 grams depending on tolerance, taken in a single dose no more than once a day.

This way, through responsible use of kratom, my tolerance stays steady and I get medicinal benefits from it each time I use it, and don't have to choke down more than ~5 grams of the plant. Kratom is a weak, medicinal plant that happens to contain a self-limiting mix of stimulant and opioid alkaloids. There's really no point in abusing it and ruining the beneficial, therapeutic effects it can give you.