View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Taking shrooms while sick?

Aquarius64

Greenlighter
Hey guys, so my friend is watching a family member's house this weekend and I got invited to stay overnight and try some shrooms for the first time. I've dabbled with a few drugs over the last couple years and I've done extensive research on magic mushrooms so I feel like I'm pretty well prepared. Only trouble is the fact that I'm sick. I feel kind of out of it, have a slight cough, I keep sneezing and I have a wicked stuffy/runny nose. I know everybody says that you should wait until you're in a good mood and in good health before you take shrooms, but this is literally one of the best and only opporutinites I'm going to have to do this. It's going to be really hard to find another unsupervised place where we'll be alone for that amount of time, so I really don't want to have to pass up this perfect opportunity. Some people say it amplifies the cold symptoms, but some people say their symptoms go away completely. I just want to know what to expect. Would it be wise to take a daytime cold medicine beforehand? Anything else a first timer should know before taking shrooms? Thanks!

I personally wouldn't do it, or consider it to be 'the perfect opportunity' if I'm sick!

If you've got a fever I wouldn't do it, I suppose a cough and a runny nose isn't the end of the world in terms of discomfort. But still discomfort nonetheless. Can't you wait till you're in better shape? I'm sure the opportunity will present itself again :)

It's really not a good idea at all, man. You might be fine, but it's not likely your symptoms will magically disappear from taking mushrooms, and they could potentially get much worse. I also wouldn't want to be in an unfamiliar house (not sure if you've been there before) tripping for the first time. I often end up needing to be away from other people for a while during a trip, and you'd be surprised how much a strange setting can change things when you just want to relax and collect your thoughts for a while.

I doubt this will be the only chance you get to try mushrooms in your lifetime and right now it sounds like your body is telling you to wait.

I've tripped on various psychedelics while ill or injured and always had a good time. LSD and 2C-E especially are powerful nasal decongestants.

If u feel the desire to trip even when you are sick, this is a really good indicator that it is not the right time to be ingesting psychedelics

I've tripped with a cold and it wasn't a big deal, but I'd rather have tripped without the cold. I've come across more than one claim saying that a person recovered from their cold after tripping, but it was more subtle for me (my cold merely stopped getting worse). I don't see it as a big deal to trip with a cold, but your cold will definitely become a part of your trip.

"I've finally got this awesome girl to go on a date with me but I'm sick, and I've got snot running down my nose; should I go anyway or postpone the date?"

You could go out with her but chances are she is put off by the salty taste of that snotty first kiss :D
I would wait; good things come to those who wait.

I'm guessing that you are relatively young. Trust me, you'll have many occasions to trip in the future, even if you don't think so now. Tripping is like going on a hike, you'll have a better time if you are in shape and you feel fine.

Tripped once on LSD when I was ill, it was ok for a while and actually relieved the blocked nose for a while, but in the second half of the trip I became horribly aware of all the "nasty" and felt I could really feel all the things that were not happy in my body. The main lesson I got out of that trip was to not trip again when I was ill. Of course LSD is not shrooms, but they are similar enough that I would advise against it... Set and setting are important, and that includes your body feeling good before tripping!

I have done it many of times while sick. It sucks at first but can help with some symptoms.

Some phenethylamines have immunomodulatory properties, affecting mucous production etc.. I have no idea what this signifies though, and if it extends to other psychedelics.

In any case, if you feel impaired and sort of 'depressed' from being ill then doesn't it influence your mindset so much that you just cannot speak anymore of ideal set & setting? So IMO it depends on how sick you actually feel, and that is kinda hard to rate. I have tripped only when slightly ill a few times and already found that borderline, but OK.

Lastly, learn to deal with frustration... wanting something does not make it so.

This was about last weekend, correct? So please check in to let us know how it went, or the thread passes due? Then again it is a perennial subject of discussion for PD :)