• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Taking Ritalin once or twice a week and Tolerance

BananaBob22

Greenlighter
I got ritalin prescribed for my ADHD and I am trying to figure out how to use it up to its full potential and not develop tolerance.

I am not trying to get high but simply focused and motivated to get 3 days worth of work done in one day.

My doc told me to experiment with 10-30mg ER and see what suits me best. 10mg seems to be just right to get me into the right mindset without too much euphoria. I know that's a very low dose but I am extremely sensitive to substances of any kind.

So now my question is, does anyone have experience with developing tolerance using low doses of ritalin once or occasionally twice a week? With higher doses (30mg upwards) some don't seem to develop any tolerance at all while others lose the effects after one week of consecutive use. Also I couldn't find much on this exact regimen.

Help would be much appreciated! :D

You will develop tolerance regardless of how seldom you use it. Stimulants notoriously develop tolerance perhaps faster than any other drug in general, because daily use removes the "euphoria" and "I'm going to get so much done!" energy that people rely on them for. If you have ADHD and genuinely need the medication, I would just use as is prescribed. If you're trying to not step into daily use/rely on the medication, then you can save it for the days you really need to focus and step out of using it as prescribed in that manner. My tolerance for stimulants took many many years to rise, but I never stepped into daily use on a regular basis. Like I said, if you cannot function without the medication and need pharma stimulants to stop you from failing your entire life--it is best to just use in the way your doctor specified accordingly. However, if you don't need it daily--like myself--you can just try to avoid daily use and only dabble in the script when you need to be the most functional on certain days. 10-30 mg are very small/moderate doses, you would in time likely maybe require double the dose for the same effects as before when you first began taking the stimulants. Twice a week usage will still inevitably result in a tolerance raise, but just at a much slower rate than daily use. There's no way to really make it work 100% like it did in the beginning unless you're barely using it sadly lol. This is how any substance goes, really. Even light to moderate users of anything will notice obvious tolerance changes in the long run, although it would take many months before that phase of tolerance begins to kick in substantially. You've got plenty of time if you religiously stick to twice a week use, but the tolerance rise is just something none of us can dodge for any substance whatever they may be. I predict most likely that you may end up using it even 3-4 times a week because most of us crave the euphoria the substance delivers to us, and becomes hard to moderate yourself once you've gotten too used to it.

Hey, there

You won’t develop a tolerance if you only take it 2-3 times a week. You can even take it every day of the week and simply take weekend breaks. I’m happy you’re so responsible but you don’t need to be that cautious. Take care.

Cheers

Tomer

Also on Methylphenidate (Ritalin) for 10 years about…..Amazingly effective & safe dopaminergic stimulant. Safer than the Amphetamines, Ritalin rarely causes increase in HR or BP (posted in a CIBA 1950’s advertisemen) and very accurate statement. Safe enough for a 10 year old child….safe enough for an adult

Ritalin 20mg IR X 3 tablets daily - I take 40-60mg IR at once, combined with Methadone 80mg, Valium 30mg, Pregabalin 300mg, Ethanol Jin 3.oz X 2-3 cocktails

Vyvanse 20mg (5.9mg d-Amph) 3h peak serum 8-10h duration …..gave me and a friend both heart palpitations and serious dry mouth, sleep interruption

Ritalin 3-4h duration, fast clearance, inactive metabolite, no appetite/sleep disturbance. Nearly identical to Cocaine in MOA, both Inverse Agonists —- ED-50 0.25mg / per Kg of body weight

Ritalin gave me POWERFUL Euphoria…..nearly identical to the euphoric pleasure I experienced with Oxycodone