• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking Pills With GI Diseases

Bloodborne1

Bluelighter
So, I seldom have an issue where I don?t dissolve my medication. Be that as it may, periodically I do find my pills coming out whole in a bowel movement. I?ve had most of my bowel remover with seven bowel resections from Crohn?s Disease. I generally just swallow the pills, because it?s such a rare occurrence I don?t digest them. My question lies here: what is the next best alternative for taking my pain medication? If I take my typical dosage of norco and just chew them, it feels like it?s wasted more times than not. I just won?t feel the medication kick in the optimal way it should. I have tried in certain instances to use a pill crusher to grind them all the way down and just placing the entirety of it on a Kleenex/toilet paper and swallowing the piece whole. I?ve read how some people will crush it up entirely and mix it in a water solution and drink it up.

I can?t snort pills. I?ve tried it like three times, but it never comes off successful and I feel like I end up just wasting the medication. So what does everyone recommend for ROA if I?m not swallowing them? Obviously I want to not waste the medication, so that?s why I feel like simply chewing will not suffice based on previous experiences. With my limited bowel, what will give me the most bang for my buck so I still feel the desired effect?

Yeah, don't resort to snorting it. Chewing it shouldn't reduce its bioavailability so I'm surprised you feel it's subjectively less effective when you do this.

You could crush the pill up finely and then put the resulting powder inside an empty gelatine capsule. The contents will release within your GI tract but before reaching the colon that way, though it's not much dissimilar from putting it inside some tissue and parachuting as you've been doing.

I found an article on this as where I work a patient sent in something he thought were round white parasites he was passing in his faeces but were just the outer shell of long release tablets.

So I wouldnt go the gel caps idea, they could just add to the problem and chewing them good should work the best, depending on how well absorb anything else...

Do you have much of your small bowel left as that's what you need.

If not, it might be a move to fent patches or get your doc to assess you for malabsorption.

https://www.practicalpainmanagement...ical/opioids/malabsorption-opioid-medications

GI surgery, such as gastric bypass for weight control, is now commonplace and may cause malabsorption of opioids. GI banding or removal of portions of the stomach or intestine to control weight may disturb normal transit and/or alterations of bacterial flora, which lead to malabsorption.14 Autoimmune disorders may attack the stomach and intestine.15,16 Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and celiac disease are recognized autoimmune diseases known to cause malabsorption, but the stomach and intestine may be attacked by any number of other autoimmune disorders.15,16 In some cases (ie, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis), damaged intestine is surgically removed and may cause malabsorption and too rapid transit.14

Prolly a bit TMI if you're after just feeling the same lift as before surgery but a good read anyway

I have very little small bowel left. Now granted, I know I?ve started getting tolerant over time. No doubt that plays some contribution. But you guys think in my case I?m better off parachuting or just chewing it up finely?