• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Taking MDMA on Antibiotics (co-amoxiclav)

ther1pp3r

Greenlighter
Please help me to understand how I can minimize the risks of further sickness.

I was prescribed an antibiotic today... co-amoxiclav.

But I've already made plans to go to a festival which I have been looking forward to for months. As someone who is often sick (note - bacteria/anti biotics have no relevance to my usual sickness) I am determined to not let my health prevent me from going out.

This has been prescribed for a potential urinary tract infection; three times a day to be used.

I have 5 pills of about 150mg each (though I naturally don't expect to take them all).

I'd like some recommendations on the following:

• How many pills should I take?
  • Should I preload on something (that won't conflict considering I am trying to fight off an infection)?
  • Should I stop dosing on antibiotics? And when? How quickly after should I begin again?
  • Can you link me to some trip reports/experiences with this specific antibiotic?

[...] how I can minimize the risks of further sickness [...]
  • How many pills should I take?
  • Should I preload on something (that won't conflict considering I am trying to fight off an infection)?
  • Should I stop dosing on antibiotics? And when? How quickly after should I begin again?

none.
no.
no. you should never prematurely stop taking an antibiotic. doing that might breed resistant bacteria.

mdma releases lots of cortisol, which suppresses your immune system. if you want to minimise the risks of further sickness you shouldn't take mdma.

none.
no.
no. you should never prematurely stop taking an antibiotic. doing that might breed resistant bacteria.

mdma releases lots of cortisol, which suppresses your immune system. if you want to minimise the risks of further sickness you shouldn't take mdma.

It's important that I minimize the risk as it will most likely be happening.

I'm considering probiotics.

Last edited:
[...] as it will most likely be happening.

I'm considering probiotics.

i see no threatening interactions between the two. neither amoxicillin nor clavulanic acid act on serotonin, nor are they metabolised by the liver enzymes that mdma blocks, but amoxicillin inhibits cyp3a4, which is a minor pathway for metabolising mdma, so mdma concentrations would be a bit higher than usually while on this antibiotic.

still, taking mdma not recommended but if you're going to do it anyway, then try to keep the dose to a minimum.

probiotics are never a bad idea when taking antibiotics, but obviously this is completely independent of taking mdma.

i see no threatening interactions between the two. neither amoxicillin nor clavulanic acid act on serotonin, nor are they metabolised by the liver enzymes that mdma blocks, but amoxicillin inhibits cyp3a4, which is a minor pathway for metabolising mdma, so mdma concentrations would be a bit higher than usually while on this antibiotic.

still, taking mdma not recommended but if you're going to do it anyway, then try to keep the dose to a minimum.

probiotics are never a bad idea when taking antibiotics, but obviously this is completely independent of taking mdma.

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.

Since amoxicillin inhibts cyp3a4, does this mean I will have a reduced impact and increase the chance of overdosing? (i.e. not feeling it and trying to top up)

an equal dose of mdma would probably lead to slightly more intense effects or a slightly increased duration, but it should be less psychedelic towards the end because cyp3a4 catalyses the step from mdma to mda.

because you'll have less mdma it might even be less intense with a shorter duration (i don't know, maybe the metabolism of mda+mdma is more efficient than a higher dose of mdma alone). though it might not be too noticable at all. we're talking about less than 10% of your dose...