• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking GABA during Phenibut/Gabapentin withdrawals.

Cosmic Trigger

Bluelighter
I've been tapering down from a Phenibut addiction for a while now. I was at one time taking 3400mg per day and I'm down to 700 mg at the moment. I'm tapering 10% a week now. I've also been using Gabapentin at 1800 mg a day due to polyneuropathy. I got hooked on the Phenibut because it also really helped with the pain and anxiety at the early stages of the disease. It can be quite painful and frankly I got really scared of where it was possibly going and grabbed onto Phenibut with both hands without considering the consequences. Also I'm going to admit here that in my fear I tried unsuccessfully to commit suicide. Finally I learned breathing and self hypnosis techniques to the point that I can control some of the pain and that's why I want to get off the Phenibut because I don't think it's helping and now I'm on a low dose oxycodone that is helping a lot.

And so on to my question. I've been using fasoracetam to upgrade my gaba receptors as I use less of the Phenibut and it just might be really helping as so far it's been very smooth sailing. OK so I was thinking maybe I'd just start taking some Gamma Aminobutyric Acid along with it as I continue to taper. I'd like to quit the gabapentin too if possible but one thing at a time. Anyway would taking GABA right now be a good idea or not? Sorry for such a convoluted post. I'm totally new to this stuff and not a big brain and that's why I'm in this spot.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're referring to the supplement GABA? Well, first of all, it does not cross the Blood Brain Barrier, therefore it doesn't reach the brain. I'd imagine that should answer your question..

I took it for a couple of days when I finally jumped off of benzos for good after a long taper. I coulda swore I had more anxiety after taking the GABA supplement than beforehand. But still it's too hard to know for sure when in wds like that.

Things that don't cross the blood brain barrier can still help with physical addiction. Imodium helps with opiate withdrawal without crosing the blood brain barrier.

What symptoms do you get from tapering phenibut? 10% a week seems slow. Cutting your dose 50 mg a day should result in a little discomfort, nothing worse than that. Splitting your daily amount in to 2 or 3 doses makes it easier. Then you're done. 2 weeks of tapering, maybe mild discomfort for a day or two, then you're done. You're free.

I can't comment on the gabapentin withdrawals, not having gone through it personally.

Things that don't cross the blood brain barrier can still help with physical addiction. Imodium helps with opiate withdrawal without crosing the blood brain barrier.

What symptoms do you get from tapering phenibut? 10% a week seems slow. Cutting your dose 50 mg a day should result in a little discomfort, nothing worse than that. Splitting your daily amount in to 2 or 3 doses makes it easier. Then you're done. 2 weeks of tapering, maybe mild discomfort for a day or two, then you're done. You're free.

I can't comment on the gabapentin withdrawals, not having gone through it personally.

Boy we've been reading different reports about coming off long term use of Phenibut. Many have said it's worse than Benzos. Every week when I drop 10% it seems like I get one or two days of moderate anxiety and then I'm ok until the next taper. I'm not too worried about the Gabapentin.

Boy we've been reading different reports about coming off long term use of Phenibut. Many have said it's worse than Benzos. Every week when I drop 10% it seems like I get one or two days of moderate anxiety and then I'm ok until the next taper. I'm not too worried about the Gabapentin.

You've probably read more about it than me. In my experience, going from a gram down to zero is relatively easy at 50 mg a day. 20 days of feeling mild discomfort, then you're at zero. Maybe a couple days after that it's over. You're free.

A slower taper would work if you stick to it. It just takes longer. You'll have to cut the dose more than 10% at some point. Cutting 10% a week, you'll be on it literally forever. You have to make the jump at some point if you want to get off it.

one thing I can tell you is this - if you are taking both Gabapentin and Phenibut, then you could easily kick the Phenibut and just stick w/ the Gabapentin; they are relatively close in the drug culture and the Gabapentin will override the Phenibut. the reason I know!? well, I've done it many times myself going back and forth with Gabapentin and Phenibut; so rather than run yourself down w/ Phenibut giving it a try and JUST QUIT for a day or two and see if your truly feel a difference. dont go thinking too deeply and letting it get to you mentally but truly QUIT PHENIBUT and realize the GABA within the Gabapentin will take its place and you will no longer need the Phenibut.

as far as the Gabapentin goes, well, thats a different story. everybody is different when it comes to this drug. I am on 1600/MG Gabapentin to help with seizures and there have been many times I have forgotten to take my morning dosage and just let it go for the day; or tried to stop using for a day or two and was able to make it with ease. however, I read and hear many negatives from others. so it really depends on the person. if you had a problem getting off Phenibut (which you should QUIT NOW) then yes, Gabapentin may be a problem as well but you are scripted 1800/MG so just ease your way down and all will be well. the same you did w/ Phenibut.

best of luck w/ these - the good news is YOU CAN ALREADY QUIT THE PHENIBUT!

Before I take your advice and really dump it faster I'd like to know how long you were taking it and in what amounts? I'd really really love it if what you say is true. I'll forever be in your debt.

I would take 6G's/day but split it w/ 3G's in AM and 3G's in the PM; eventually I had to get off because of the addiction and was able to get myself down to around 2G's. then my Dr. put me on Gabapentin for seizure purposes and it completely helped w/ the Phenibut; if you do your homework you will see how closely related these 2 drugs are.

If I am able to get off 2G's w/ 1600MG Gabapentin then you really should have no problem w/ 700/MG's of Phenibut.

believe me, unfortunately I know drugs all too well.

OK but you have to remember I've been taking 1800mg of Gabapentin along with the Phenibut for the last year. Will the Gabapentin still work when I jump off the Phenibut? That's my only concern here. Otherwise I'm ready to give it try. And, thanks for responding.