• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Taking a ton of gabapentin on wellbutrin?

Antares

Bluelighter
I'm just starting taking Wellbutrin/Bupropion and really like me some gabapentin-ful days. But I've seen a lot about Wellbutrin itself being a bit of a seizure risk, and I have had a seizure in the past that I think was most likely caused by abusing gabapentin and caffeine both in high amounts for three days in a row. I understand it's safe to take doctor-approved amounts of gabapentin and wellbutrin, but is it safe to abuse gabapentin in high amounts while on prescribed doses of wellbutrin?

convulsant/seizure risk of Bupropion was overblown. 150 - 300mgXR (450mg Max daily dose)

it has moderate to significant anti-choleric effects and your cognitive function will be impaired over 8months - 2 years daily use. Nicotine becomes less pleasurable in a week at 300mg XR daily. Insignificant dopaminergic properties due to first pass metabolism. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. General stimulant. has Beta-keton-amphetamine skeletal structure like Khat (Cathinone). No euphoria or required ED-50 of 50% inhibing 50% of DAT dopamine transporters to induce euphoria. Burpropions in approx 28% at maximum dose of 450mg daily

I'm just starting taking Wellbutrin/Bupropion and really like me some gabapentin-ful days. But I've seen a lot about Wellbutrin itself being a bit of a seizure risk, and I have had a seizure in the past that I think was most likely caused by abusing gabapentin and caffeine both in high amounts for three days in a row. I understand it's safe to take doctor-approved amounts of gabapentin and wellbutrin, but is it safe to abuse gabapentin in high amounts while on prescribed doses of wellbutrin?
Gabapentin was originally prescribed for seizures (as was Lyrica) so I would not worry about the gabapentin itself causing a seizure problem. As for Wellbutrin, yes it has a relatively low ceiling for seizures but I wouldn't think gabapentin would worsen that. And your doctor approved it. Maybe discuss it with the doctor.

I recently got a script for Wellbutrin and kind of had to insist on it. I initially made the appt specifically because i was sad/depressed and wanted Wellbutrin, talking to my DR. she actually brought Wellbutrin up first so I thought great its what I wanted, but then she went thru my records and said she doesn't think its good since I'm at risk for seizures, no idea why since I've never had one in my life. Maybe its because I told her I don't really like taking the Gabapentin she prescribed me previously. She then recommended Prozac and I said no way, I want Wellbutrin. She finally agreed but said she also wants me on Depakote to take with it, but doesn't want to start me on both and will prescribe the Wellbutrin now and in two weeks she will start me on the Depakote. I have no intention of taking Depakote.

Its now going into day 5 on 150mg XL Wellbutrin, not sure its working yet but I havent been as sad/depressed lately, no more feelings of despair upon waking every morning. I also have been taking Gabapentin, 600mg at night before bed and 300mg in the late morning. I originally didnt like taking it because it made my head foggy and felt a little lazy, that seems to be wearing off the more I take it. I think it helps with not having negative thoughts, at least that's what it seems like to me.

Gabapentins can be seizurogenic in high dosages, I got one (my first ever and last so far) after taking 1.6 or1.8g of pregabalin because 900mg had zero effects. Was pretty bad, I couldn't walk for 2 days afterwards and was pretty confused, thought to having fried my brain. I don't think you can dose gabapentin so high because it has limited absorption but it might still be dangerous while on bupropion.

I think bupropion + DXM (Auvelity) is the good shit. I accidentally discovered this combo long before it was a clinical thing when I was on bupropion and caught a bad cold with cough so I dosed DXM as recommended, one 50mg XR capsule every 12 hours and after 2-3 days I was blown away by the effects. Stimulating, euphoric, disinhibiting. I remember thinking, wow this shit is stronger than dextroamphetamine. Continued on it for a month or so then stopped because of side effects (tinnitus) and being afraid of doing damage because back then there was no info at all.

Im reading thru the reviews for Auvelity and they mostly seem positive, seems to work rather quickly. I looked it up and theres no way I can afford the name brand.

Im finding 15mg gel caps of Dex, is that the stuff? I just came across 15mg tabs and the name is BupropiDex.

Im reading thru the reviews for Auvelity and they mostly seem positive, seems to work rather quickly. I looked it up and theres no way I can afford the name brand.

Im finding 15mg gel caps of Dex, is that the stuff? I just came across 15mg tabs and the name is BupropiDex.
Yeah they made this BupropiDex just for this reason I suppose, the name is so obvious. But you don't need exactly 45mg of DXM, I think 60 would also be okay, of 90 like double the dosage. I did directly 100 and it was fine.

Last edited:
How would the DEX be dosed with a 150mg XL Wellbutrin? 15mg gel caps, 45mg at once or is it better to spread 15mg throughout the day 3xs, say morning- noon- evening?

Gabapentinoids, which is a class of drug(s) including Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Phenibut among others, do have a not-so-well-known propensity to produce convulsions in high dosages. The issue here is that I don't know if the convulsions produced by Gabapentinoids are of the same pathology of epileptiform-convulsions. Basically, there are multiple issues that can cause you to convulse and they are not necessarily of the same cause in all cases.

As far as I'm aware, Gabapentinoids are not known to cause epileptic seizures, whereas Bupropion (Wellbutrin) does seem to produce convulsions of the typical, epileptiform-type.

Your best bet is to approach the situation with caution, as we all must do. Don't start by taking insane amounts of Gabapentin with your Bupropion. Dip your toes in the water and see what happens. I know this isn't the most fun or exciting way of approaching drug usage, but it'sthe best way to minimize serious issues.

If you want my absolutely personal opinion, Gabapentinoid convulsions don't seem to be epileptic in nature. I've had seizures from different drugs before. I've had my limbs flail around as a result of Gabapentinoids, though I've never experienced a true seizure from these drugs, so my opinion is that these side effects have a different pathology.

How would the DEX be dosed with a 150mg XL Wellbutrin? 15mg gel caps, 45mg at once or is it better to spread 15mg throughout the day 3xs, say morning- noon- evening?
I would take all at once but I guess the brand Auvelity will have a XR mechanism.

Gabapentinoids, which is a class of drug(s) including Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Phenibut among others, do have a not-so-well-known propensity to produce convulsions in high dosages. The issue here is that I don't know if the convulsions produced by Gabapentinoids are of the same pathology of epileptiform-convulsions. Basically, there are multiple issues that can cause you to convulse and they are not necessarily of the same cause in all cases.
They inhibit the glutamate reuptake transporter GLT-1 at high dosages, leading to higher levels of glutamate and thus the stimulation we see but I imagine this could also cause the seizures.

I took a 12hr extended release 60mg dex with a 150mg XL and I did not like it at all. It wasnt horrible but I just wanted to close my eyes and sleep it off. Finally feeling normal again 16hrs later. I wont be doing that again.

I was prescribed 300mg's of wellbutrin with both high dose gaba and lyrica. I often took higher doses of both on wellbutrin and was fine

The combination of Bupropion and Dextromethorphan sounds absolutely terrible. You couldn't pay me to.

Sounds to me like it is.

I think it is. Its like day 11 taking it and this morning I woke and just laid in bed for awhile, not really thinking about anything just kinda enjoying resting. Previously I would wake and immediately feel sad and think about how my life sucks and have to get out of bed.

I think it is. Its like day 11 taking it and this morning I woke and just laid in bed for awhile, not really thinking about anything just kinda enjoying resting. Previously I would wake and immediately feel sad and think about how my life sucks and have to get out of bed.

yeah that's good man, keep us updated

The combination of Bupropion and Dextromethorphan sounds absolutely terrible. You couldn't pay me to.

The combination is in the drug Auvelity. 45mg dextromethorphan with 105mg bupropion. Retail price for it is insane.

After I took the 60mg dex the feeling reminded me of when I took large amounts of dex once years ago. I think id call it dissociated.

The combination is in the drug Auvelity. 45mg dextromethorphan with 105mg bupropion. Retail price for it is insane.

After I took the 60mg dex the feeling reminded me of when I took large amounts of dex once years ago. I think id call it dissociated.

If this is what goes into designing new pharmaceuticals, I'm pretty sure I could be the fucking CEO of Pfizer.

Let's mix these two!

Yes, groundbreaking Mr. Richards, simply magnificent.