• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Tachycardia (Fast Heart Rate) Whilst on MDMA/E?

Bl4ck3n3D

Bluelighter
Has anyone else experienced this frightening sensation?

I used to abuse my body with heavy rolls back in 2007-2008 than quit and got myself together, started University etc. However, the past year or so I entered the club scene and started using pure MDMA rather than sketchy rolls but not abusing it to the point I was back in 2007.

In mid August I ended up swallowing 2 flips that caused my heart rate to drastically speed up and create panic within my mind. I had no control over my heart rate it skyrocketed above normal even considering the MDMA use. I recovered from this but ever since then my heart hasn't felt quite right.. I brushed this off and 3-4 weeks later an old friend came down and we went to the club and I was stupid enough to indulge in some MDMA. This ofcourse sent my heart rate skyrocketing again except this time I started getting a light tightness/squeeze in my chest and my heart felt like it was either skipping beats or beating prematurely. That night I thought forsure I was having a heart attack.

I survived that experience and have laid off drugs since, however my heart feels out of sync. Now I experience these palpitations whilst sober. I have quit drinking and smoking cigarettes/weed but I still experience "panic" attacks where my heart feels as if it skips a beat and than speeds up to an uncomfortable rate.

This has really taken a toll on my normal routine and life to the point where I'm scared to go out!

I've gone to the doctors and had an EKG performed which revealed that I have not had a heart attack or heart failure, which is reassuring but I still feel scared. I'm in the process of getting an ECG (echo cardio gram) performed aswell as wearing a holton monitor for 48 hours to see if there might be any problems with the valves around my heart.

This is a major concern for me as I'm only 21 and don't want my life to end short because of my immaturity and disregard for my body and health!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And if so, how did you work through it? Was it anxiety or a heart defect? Is it possible I brought something on earlier in life due to my tangle with drugs?

I hope people realize the consequences drugs may have on your body if your not aware of your family history! You never know how a foreign substance will effect the body/mind and everyone is different! Please people, take caution in your use of MDMA/Ecstasy, I know I wish I never touched the drug!

Tachycardia happens with stimulants man.. Always. The question is, was it extreme tachycardia? If your heart rate is over 130bpm (depending on your resting heart rate of course) that's usually a good time to take a break..
If you start panicking because you feel yourself becoming tachycardic then that's gonna raise your heart rate even more.

Not really sure why you still experience it sober, your guess is as good as mine. :\

do you smoke? tobacco? cannabis? because i do have similar effects when smoking a lot and taking uppers. i'm 21 too. i had my blood pressure measured (no EKG though) and everything was normal, slightly too high. but then again, the high blood pressure for me results from smoking. espacially a lot of cannabis.
i for myself have realised that to some point, its paranoia. if i fear, that my heart will eventually beat too fast, it sure as hell WILL. if i just don't think about it, it doesn't affect me at all. mind controls the body.
btw: i never drink alcohol when taking other stuff (except cannabis). if you do so, that will have a negative effect on your heart as well..
alcohol widening your vessels, smoking shrinking your vessels, uppers speeding up your heart beat.. u can tell thats no good for the heart :)

Tachycardia happens with stimulants man.. Always. The question is, was it extreme tachycardia? If your heart rate is over 130bpm (depending on your resting heart rate of course) that's usually a good time to take a break..
If you start panicking because you feel yourself becoming tachycardic then that's gonna raise your heart rate even more.

Not really sure why you still experience it sober, your guess is as good as mine. :\

I am well experienced with stimulants, I know tachycardia occurs with the use of this substance, however, as I stated above, this tachycardia was out of control to the point where it made me scared. I have never had that experience with MDMA before.

And yes, I used to smoke tobacco and cannabis. I have been off of tobacco for 4 weeks and marijuana 3. Unfortunately I still experience issues of tachycardia/papiltations while completely sober.

I am facing the chicken and egg dilemma, which came first, the problem with the heart causing anxiety or the anxiety causing the heart race or both..

Shitty situation either way as the last time this happened to me I was sitting in class not even thinking about my heart and had to leave early due to panic..

I get this occasional effect from MDMA, I also get it from almost every other amphetamine. I roll about 4x a year. When I abused MDMA, it took nearly 6 months to work passed an anxiety problem that would send me in to panic attacks and cause my heart to race- panic disorders are very common after MDMA abuse, but you will get better.

I have an enlarged aortic valve (genetic) and because of it, anything that causes my heart to race can feel odd and painful (including running, which I do a ton of).

I spoke to my cardiologist at length about this, and he actually was not concerned about occasional amphetamine use (I use ephedrine, phentermine, MDMA, cocaine, and mephedrone all on rare occasions) and the health of my heart, or episodes of rapid heart rate. I do not have insurance to be reported to, so I tend to just be very honest with them so I can get accurate information. This was simply the opinion of my MD, as aside from a genetic valve enlargement, I have a very healthy heart- in no way would I suggest this means tachycardia is something to ignore. My cardiologist felt chronic behavior such as smoking, being obese, amphetamine addition, and alcoholism were far more of a concern for heart health.

If you are concerned you heart has changed as a result of MDMA abuse, I would get another ECG- they do show quite a bit. I would also make a point to be active if you aren't already, and avoid stimulants (including caffeine) as his can actually onset anxiety issues. You may simply need a beta blocker, and the issue may resolved. Anxiety is extremely unsettling, and I'm glad I solved it and can (responsibly) enjoy MDMA again.

I got this effect last roll.
150mg mdma, but i didnt realise till later on that night after id stopped having such a great time, it was scary.

Yes, amphetamines DO cause increased heart-rate with normal use.
You should consider your problem to be an exaggeration of a NORMAL event (for stim users).

So the question you should be asking - is WHY do stimulants cause this effect at all?
Then you might have a chance at figuring out why it went so HORRIBLY wrong for you.

A very small portion of the brain should be studied by ALL MDMA users.
Sitting at the front of the brainstem and just before the cortex is the hypothalamus.
It is the command center for all endocrine glands in the body, including the master gland - the pituitary.
And these glands have effects on many other chemical processes in the body.
It is also directly connected to parts of the brainstem controlling heart-function and the vagus nerve.

This tiny little region has a remarkable level of influence over the rest of the brain and the entire body.
It is the hypothalamus that controls digestion - from the sense of hunger/thirst, to the feeling of satiation, to the release of enzymes for digestion and the contraction of the smooth muscles around the GI. The hypothalamus can even shut off urine production by causing the pituitary to release anti-duretic hormone.

The hypothalamus controls dopamine release in the nucleus acumbens, the pleasure center of the brain, during sex.
Dopamine activity in the hypothalamus equates to dopamine release in the NA. The hypothalamus will direct the pituitarty to release prolactin following orgasm, which causes dopamine neurons in the NA to desensitize.
Not only is the hypothalamus important for the pleasure and satiety felt from sex, but it has also revealed that sexual orientation is indeed a function of brain structure. Homosexual people of both genders display a morphism of the SDN in the hypothalamus that is very similar to what is seen in heterosexual people of the opposite genders.

In the hypothalamus, serotonin is known to disrupt the normal flow of dopamine - which impacts its release in the NA. This is thought to be a major cause of sexual dysfunction from both SSRIs and MDMA.
In fact, the relationship between the hypothalamus and the serotonin network is a subject of much study.

The use of SSRIs is understood to restore normal endocrine function, meaning it adjusts the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis. Normal HPA function is often disturbed in severe depression. However, greater dysfunction is sometimes seen post SSRI-withdrawal suggesting a limited or temporary benefit.

This is also known to happen with MDMA users - the hypothalamus may not function correctly as the brain re-organizes the ascending serotonin axons. In acute MDMA exposure, the hypothalamus is known to be hyper-innervated by serotonin nerves during recovery. Also known from research is that later exposure to MDMA causes less euphoria and 'pro-social' effects and more 'psycho-motor' effects.

In new users MDMA causes POWERFUL endocrine responses...which are mediated by the HYP.
The HYP is the homeostasis chamber of the brain - it is charged with maintaining MANY different biological factors within a very NARROW range of acceptable levels. It achieves this through both direct nerve connections and powerful influence over the endocrine/adrenal glands.

MDMA, and other stimulants, push the limits of the HYP's ability to maintain such 'homeostasis'.
Is it really such a surprise that this could cause severe tachycardia?

The HYP controls heart-rate...and you are taking a drug that is KNOWN to induce POWERFUL endocrine responses!
That means the HYP is attempting to correct for the imbalance caused by MDMA.

And since you are a former user - you may indeed suffer from serotonin HYPER-innervation in the hypothalamus.
This is part of the re-wiring process seen during recovery.
This could make you QUITE sensitive to the effects on the heart-rate.

If you are in good cardiovascular health, you are not likely to have a real heart-attack as a consequence.
But heart-attack AND stroke have been seen in stimulant users, including MDMA.

Allow me to point out that what some people refer to as 'panic attacks' during recovery from MDMA, I would often classify as strictly INTENSE physical events - that MAY include panic. One of the hallmark effects?
Tachycardia.

In fact I can't seem to remember a single 'panic' event that didn't involve SOME kind of fast heart-rate.
But in the first few months, especially if I smoked weed, I was very likely to have a RACING heart.
Keep in mind that I have exercised almost daily for more than 2 years now!
And these bursts of rapid heart-beating were VERY intense....
The worst ones saw a heart-rate deserving of a SPRINTING run, but with an onset of only SECONDS.

But not a single event has approached the level of tachycardia seen on the FIRST night of my 'comedown'.
Sudden-onset tachycardia is a HALLMARK of serotonin syndrome. It is often the FIRST symptom to show itself, and its arrival is QUITE sudden.

I was feeling 100 percent NORMAL, sitting in a chair - 72 hours POST ROLL.
Then, without ANY warning, my heart STOPPED.

At least, that is how it felt...
A pain in my chest gripped my entire body in pain!
I thought for SURE this is what a heart-attack feels like.

Within a few seconds, the silence and pain in my chest transformed into the fastest heart-beat I have EVER experienced.
It took almost 20 minutes before I was sure I would survive without a real heart-attack.
It was unreal how fast it was moving, and I am certain that being in good shape when it happened is what allowed me to survive.

The next major symptom I experienced was SEVERE abdominal cramps.
I later came to understand that the process of digestion is the REAL purpose for serotonin - and the action in my intestines increased serotonin activity in the brain. Since MDMA (and benedryl) had damaged my serotonin network, its direct impact upon the hypothalamus caused serotonin syndrome - including extreme tachycardia, the hallmark symptom.

Even in NORMAL users of MDMA, the excess serotonin in the HYP is the likely cause of fast heart-rate.
But for some - the level of serotonin in the HYP is TOO high.
Again, this is just an exaggeration of a NORMAL property of the drug.
It would be expected to include a major drop in euphoria...

Advice...

Very long-term abstinence from MDMA may be the ONLY way to experience the drug again without severe tachycardia.
Endocrine studies of former MDMA users have found that some users have LONG-LASTING deficits in normal serotonin/endocrine response. But the tests I have seen only go out to about 2-3 years of abstinence.

If you try MDMA again in another few years, please return to Bluelight and tell the world about your experience.
This is an important indicator of long-term recovery, in terms of serotonergic/endocrine response - and therefore neurotoxicity.

Other than this there are a few options for you.
The MOST important is to LOWER your dose.
Assume that it is going to happen NO MATTER WHAT - so approach rolling with the greatest level of caution.
It is always important to test your tabs, but for you it is critical.
Do NOT take over 150mg and do NOT redose at all.
Taking 100mg might be preferred, but any lower than 75mg and most people would not feel euphoria.
150 is the minimum dosage needed to induce euphoria in most new users.

Next, consider trying it outside of a club.
The extra sensory input - music, lights, people...ALL of this has to involve the hypothalamus as well.
The senses use the hypothalamus to assign emotional meaning to our experiences - so control your setting.
Rolling at home with LOW music and lights...and few people...may be very important.

Of course, make sure you watch your body temperature, as this directly influences the toxic effects of the drug.
Anything beyond flushing of the skin should be treated, and fevers should be lowered aggressively.

Also, try lightening the load on your intestines as much as possible.
You do NOT want an empty gut either - or the MDMA is absorbed and metabolized TOO QUICKLY.
So make sure you eat VERY healthy for DAYS leading up to a roll.
That means lots of lean proteins, complex carbs, and fruits/veggies.
Healthy diet should be part of your life anyways, but prior to rolling it should be a religion to you.

Digestive activity, body temperature, level of sensory input, and most importantly the DOSE that you take will ALL influence the level of tachycardia that you experience.

Even with all of these factors under scrutinizing control, you are STILL likely to experience tachycardia.
And perhaps heavy anxiety.
If you are not feeling ANY euphoria, you should ask yourself why you are trying to roll AT ALL.

If you DO experience problems again, consider LIGHT exercise after the worst tachycardia has passed.
By inducing a fast heart-rate through muscle activity, the HYP gives some relief to the endocrine system.
Also, exercise releases BDNF in the brain, which increases the plasticity of serotonin neurons - which also likely gives relief to the HYP.

Take it as easy on your hypothalamus as possible!
And consider a VERY popular addition to your MDMA - Piracetam.
Some users that miss the euphoria SWEAR by this stuff.
It is believed to make cell membranes more permeable in the brain - and it selectively increases serotonin and dopamine in the PFC.

Perhaps it directly alleviates serotonin excess in the hypothalamus...

My bottom-line advice is to stop trying to roll at all, but now you at least have some basic ideas on the cause of the problem and some possible coping techniques.
Good luck.

So I'm pretty well screwed and will have to deal with these effects even if I abstain from MDMA?

And from what I gather in your post, I will be facing this problem for possibly years?

Ughhh

Is there anything I can do to help repair the damage done or is it permanent?

I am not touching the drug again, and if I do it won't be for years until I am certain I am in the position to experience it again. However I just want to live my life, sober, without these worries and symptoms! Have I fucked myself completely? I can't even smoke ganja anymore, I quit cigarettes, and have limited my caffeine intake yet I'm still afraid to live my life.

And what about cognitive performance? I was considered a significantly intelligent individual but now I don't feel as bright. I fear I have suffered brain damage and will not be able to retain what was once my greatest gift. I have fallen into deep depression.

I read one of your other posts where you state that the toxicity symptoms and decrease in cognitive performance doesn't manifest until further down the road of recovery. I am now noticing the effects that my abuse has created (Last use where I experienced extreme tachycardia/heart stopping was in early september, 6-7 weeks ago). I too am finding myself re-reading sentences where I once breezed through writings. My memory is failing me and my retention of new knowledge/information is alarming! WTF This is my greatest fear and worry, the loss of my intelligence and cognition.

Is there anything at all that I can do to repair the damage? Does time heal? What is there besides exercising? I do not eat healthily at all, do you have any suggestions as to what could improve my mental faculties?

I would like to exercise but I am worried about my heart giving out. I will be having an echocardiogram in the coming weeks to determine if there is anything wrong with the valves surrounding my heart, or if there's an inherent defect, but from what you've written I now suspect I suffered serotonin syndrome and didn't know it!

Last edited:
I am having additional bloodwork done and I realized that the doctor will be checking my thyroid levels to see if they are irregular as she suspects that could be the cause of the tachycardia. I read up a bit on the hypthalamus and in a study it reports that MDMA/serotonin affects the hypthalamus which in turn regulates the pituitary and can affect the thyroid gland. As such could there be a correlation between the abuse of MDMA and its subsequent affect on my thyroid gland which is causing the physical aspects of my problems?

Last edited:
A few words...

You are not destined to suffer for 'years'.
If you are 6-7 weeks since your last dose, it is not long enough yet to know the extent of the change.
While tachycardia and disliking cannabis are definite signs that damage was done - you are not describing intense panic attacks.

Panic attacks are really a partial description of what I believe happens.
In a way, I spent DAYS in a row on edge.
Esp. in the first two months - I would feel like I was constantly resisting the onslaught of sensory data.

Noise or even a sudden touch by the cat walking by, at the right moment, made me feel like I was going to DIE.
Or 'tear my face off' as a friend of mine on BL once said.
The term used in research is 'impulse control'. Sometimes it is 'poor self-regulation'.

Remember, the hypothalamus is responsible for tying your sensory input to your endocrine system...
So a dysfunction in this area can cause SEVERE anxiety from the most mundane sensory input.
If you are having a constant feeling of something gnawing at you for HOURS, followed by sudden crescendos of suffering...

Then maybe you are in this for the long haul.
The psychological symptoms suffered by some people are SO severe that they end up in a mental ward...some of them commit suicide.

You just don't seem quite so bad.
Tell me if I'm wrong.

In my experience there are three groups of people that belong to the MDMA recovery process.
The first group are the lucky ones, that suffer...but only for 1-3 months.
Their initial reports don't quite measure up to the extreme nature of the others out there...
They tend to make statements like - its not THAT bad...my serotonin is just low.
I just try to focus on a video game and eat healthy.

The second group experiences such severe symptoms that there main goal is to find ANSWERS.
They are typically not interested in 'waiting it out' and they may search endlessly for information.
Even when others tell them not to - they cannot seem to stop obsessing...
That is because their endocrine system is indeed malfunctioning.

This second group tends to follow a ONE YEAR recovery schedule.
Within the first 3-4 months, life begins to improve. It certainly becomes tolerable.
By 6 months most are functional, but still visit BL often.
But somewhere around 10-14 months most of them transition - and the 'anxiety' or panic attacks are GONE.
Depression is too - and they are able to live their lives again.

Doctors with MDMA experience tell most patients that come to them that 'recovery' takes 12 months for most users, but up to 18 months in more serious cases. Occasionally it takes two years.

Or longer...in the third group.
I have encountered only a few anecdotal reports in my extensive reading - so believe me, it is rare.
But some sufferers continue to report major problems past the two year mark.
Typically these were multi-substance users, sometimes dropping LSD/mushrooms with their MDMA.
More importantly - they often try MANY different medications in an attempt to 'fix' themselves.
This is perhaps the most important factor, because some will jump from drug to drug - both legal and illegal - to cope.
This interferes with the re-wiring of the brain that is KNOWN to happen.

So, in my opinion...
If you are having REAL anxiety issues...on a regular basis, then perhaps you will belong to the second group.
12 months is not just supported by anecdotal reports - plenty of research agrees with this.
I read many psychologists experience with these patients, and by far most recover from 'clinical' symptoms around the one year mark.

Brain scans that show disruptions in cerebral blood flow/distribution also suggest the 'one-year' rule to be accurate.
So we have overlapping lines of research that agree - ONE year is VERY common.

Let that sink in...

Cognitive ability has been suggested to get worse over time...i.e. during recovery.
The reason for this is simple.

At the beginning we see a major disruption of PFC function - and although this causes a severe anxiety problem as well as change in personality....damage to the PFC does not typically cause any change in IQ.

But as the brain is being 're-wired', many regions of the cortex are being modified!
So it makes sense that some slow changes occur to cognition.
However, it is very important to point out that even among HEAVY long-term users with SEVERE psychological problems during recovery - their cognitive decline is called 'subtle' at the end.

This may be because MDMA doesn't really damage our intelligence, just our emotions.
Perhaps they are testing the wrong things.
But the most consistent 'cognitive' tests that show declines in former users is delayed verbal recall.
The results from these tests are significant, but by no means do the former users completely fail the test!
They still recall words, many of them - just not as well as non-users or current users.

So cognitive function should be a concern, but not an obsession for you.
I suggest doing what I did - WRITE.
Reading is good too, but writing utilizes the language centers of the brain as well as the fine motor skills required by the hands. It is a great brain exercise...
And if it is challenging - GOOD. The harder it is, the more effective forcing it will be in helping you maintain your ability.

Also, get out some vocabulary lists and start quizzing yourself.
I memorized HUNDREDS of words from old SAT lists and managed to score near perfectly after some real effort.
And my suffering was pretty intense...

So do brain exercises, especially with language/words.
And exercise your body.
If you are young and are not seriously overweight, it is VERY unlikely your heart is going to give out.
I know why you are nervous about it, though.

When I started working out I still had HPPD, and I felt like a 90 year old man!
So I used my bowflex and I went SLOW.
Ten minutes per day, thats it.

It was very difficult the first week - I felt like I could die at any moment.
But you know what, my arms kept moving anyways - just much slower than before.
And after just a few days, OH MY GOD I felt better!

Not just a little better - it was a transformation of emotions that I went on and on about.
Exercise was my SALVATION - and it can be yours too, if you trust me.
Just start slowly, but repeat it every day for a week.
No matter how little you do, after several days you will feel MUCH better.

Yes, your thryoid is controlled by the hypothalamus and many of the symptoms of MDMA injury mimic those seen in thyroid dysfunction. It is not bad to rule it out, but that is all that will happen.
I can't tell you how many MDMA sufferers I have come across that went through multiple blood screens and even BRAIN scans - with NO findings of interest.

They cannot track down the problem with blood tests.
Back in the day, the would do spinal taps to measure serotonin in the cerebral spinal fluid.
But this wasn't a reliable indicator in the end...

The only test that is likely to see evidence of a problem is a fMRI scan.
This looks at blood flow in the living brain, and former MDMA users can show reductions or increases to certain brain regions, which is understood to be a bad thing by all doctors.
They might want to do a CT instead, but this won't see blood...only a still image of brain structures.

Other than an fMRI, only a SPECT or PET scan can really reveal data - but there is no real treatment even when it is found...so these scans are not going to be offered.
Same with the fMRI, but they might be willing to give you one anyways.
If so, try to get scanned at the greatest time of anxiety you can manage.
This will make it more likely that the blood flow changes will be evident.

For treatment, exercise is the best medicine.
It helps to redistribute those blood vessels in the brain, and it also increases the number of synaptic connections.
And yes, it resprouts serotonin axons.

The use of SSRIs is a BAD idea in my expert opinion.
I am not a doctor...but I can tell you that they will indeed make you feel MUCH better.
And that is a problem.

They restore normal hypothalamus function by moving the serotonin up into the frontal lobes where it should be.
But the effectiveness wears off, resulting in increased dosage.
Eventually if you EVER withdraw, the dysfunction of the hypothalamus can be SO crippling that you will return to using the medication - perhaps for life.
And I should mention that SSRIs result in sexual dysfunction in a LOT of patients, sometimes including ED and complete lack of pleasure during orgasm....

I will forward you an email about treatment options used...it is a long write-up I did for another person.
You may find it useful.

The bottom line will be that ECT, or electro convulsive therapy, is the ONLY good treatment other than exercise and time.
It is a rather brave choice - but if I could go back in time I would do it in an INSTANT.
I am dead serious about that, too.

ECT causes an injury response in the brain.
Glial cells release massive amounts of nerve growth factors, which allow neurons to survive under conditions that would normally be toxic. And most severely depressed or psychotic patients respond VERY well to ECT.

I hope this helps.
I will check on you later.

Thank you so much. I would agree that I fall into the type 2 group, I have anxiety but not to the extreme but enough to affect me. I will most likely go over your posts/pm multiple times and implement the advice.

This is more than what I was hoping for when I started this thread!

I think that virtually everybody's heart rate shoots up after dropping mdma. If you're in relatively good shape this should be nothing to worry about.

I think that virtually everybody's heart rate shoots up after dropping mdma. If you're in relatively good shape this should be nothing to worry about.

It's not just heart rate, but palpitations whilst sober. I haven't touched MDMA in 7 weeks yet I still experience palpitations and tachycardia. My hear feels as if it either skips a beat or beats prematurely than the heart rate increases dramatically enough for concern.

I know that MDMA causes heart rate to shoot up however I have several years of experience with MDMA and have never felt this before!

It's not just heart rate, but palpitations whilst sober. I haven't touched MDMA in 7 weeks yet I still experience palpitations and tachycardia. My hear feels as if it either skips a beat or beats prematurely than the heart rate increases dramatically enough for concern.

I know that MDMA causes heart rate to shoot up however I have several years of experience with MDMA and have never felt this before!

Relax, it will help :) I went to a cardiologist recently for the same thing you speak about. I had echo, stress test, EKG, and blood work... all came back negative. There are SO MANY factors contributing to heart palpitations its ridiculous. You are having heart palpitations... some of the MANY causes for this... caffeine, anxiety, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. For me it felt as if my heart skipped a beat, then would jump start again with a faster rhythm. My mother suffers from the same type of palpitations and takes a beta-blocker for it, however, mine are so random that its not worth medicating for them. My cardiologist assured me that these are common and not life threatening at all. Of course, I encourage you to continue seeking diagnostic tests to rule out any other possibility. The results of my tests were enough for me to actually reduce the tendency for me to have palpitations... leading me to believe anxiety was the cause of my own.

I wish you the best... remember... worrying about it will not make it better, it may make it worse!

P.S. My cardiologist suggested that if my heart rhythm is "out of whack" at any moment to consider trying the Valsalva maneuver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver). To do this, you shut your lips, and make the same type of muscle contractions you would if you were trying to take a big dump.... but don't :) If you have mitral valve prolapse this WILL make it worse but it really calms down many of the other heart palpitations that are just random. Maybe its placebo but it always makes me feel better.

Since rereading your posts it seems to me that your problem may not be related to mdma at all. You've done the right thing by taking medical advice. I hope that ultimately the symptoms clear away.

I experienced that. My experience with Molly was insane. I took Molly and I just went to sleep. It didn't make me want to dance or even move honestly. I woke up out of my sleep and felt kinda nauseous so I got up to go to the bathroom and once I started moving around my heart started beating so fast. I tried to calm down and control my breathing but it just kept getting faster. Next thing you know my hands and feet started tingling and then I went completely numb. I got really scared and called 911. When I tried to talk to the operator it sounded like I was in a tunnel miles away from my own mind and it felt like every word took forever to say. Since I was really hot but couldn't sweat I took all my cloths off I ended up outside in my driveway with nothing but a scarf covering my body waiting on an ambulance. I remember begging them for water but they wouldn't give me any. I got to the hospital and my heart rate was at 198 bpm . They put those sticky things all over my body and plugged me into a heart monitor . My blood pressure was through the roof and I kept asking them if I was going to die . I really thought I wasn't going to make it through the that. Eventually I couldn't tense my muscles anymore n I got very weak and lightheaded it felt like I was disappearing from reality and my body got realllllllyyyyyy hot and I started to feel this electricity come over me from head to toe. I was sure I was about to die so I just asked God to let me go to heaven. Which is odd bc I've always considered myself a non believer when it comes to a high power or God himself. Once I thought that thought in my head my eyes started to roll back and I seen a white light that looked like galaxy swirls and beams of colors I've never seen before. Next thing you know I can't move or feel anything my heart felt like it was stopping completely and my breathing was very slow. I kept the thought of God in my mind and basically begged for another chance. I didn't hear a voice or see a person but my thoughts were answering themselves I was telling myself "I'm here by your side and I love you" I kept repeating that uncontrollably in my head for what it seemed like a good hour. Every time I swayed to a different thought I started to feel bad again so I kept that thought in my mind . They had a blood pressure thing on my arm and when it squeezed my arm it helped me a lot but reminder I could not feel my heart or body or any physical pain just stiffness and every time I felt like I was slipping away from that I asked God to please squeeze my arm and it squeezed every single time. Eventually I could open my eyes bc the doctor came in. It felt like a presence was right beside me the whole time and still does until this day (not a regular Molly/ecstasy user) I was very dehydrated and my heart rate started acting crazy when I woke up it would jump from 133 bpm all the way down to 30bpm the back up again. I could feel my heart jumping and it was really scary but I knew the worst part was over so I just rode it out and relaxed until I felt better. Overall it was a horrible experience and I will never do it again. Until this day I now believe in God. Many will say it was the effect of ecstasy and being high but I feel like the thought of God and speaking throug myself to him saved my life. I don't think I would of got through that without thT thought in my mind. It was automatic for me and till this day I wonder but I now read the bible and I'm so into it. It's actually helped me improve my life all together . I don't know exactly why or if that was even real but I feel like a presence is with me at all times now. It's now an amazing feeling to feel at peace with myself and the appreciation for my life that i believe God gave me a second chance despite being high out of my mind. I've better myself and my life. But I do not recommend anyone to try this. It is very dangerous and may not affect everyone in the same way. Till this day my heart feels weaker than before I took the drug and it scares me from time to time .

I for one don't find pure MDMA very hard on the heart at all in all honesty. Sure it speeds up a fair bit on the come-up, but I find it settles down into what I would call a 'light jog heart-rate'. Points to know though, I do have a very low resting heartrate (40-43) so YMMV.

Cocaine on the other hand. I can't even enjoy it, because I fear that I may have a heart attack at any second.