View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

"t-9" aka DET origin of nickname

kyt

Bluelighter
Does anyone know where DET got the alternative name t-9?

I am assuming it is short hand for "tryptamine 9" and possibly a sandoz lab code, but after reviewing all the available literature (seriously; trawled erowid, maps database, shulgins lab notes, various patents and journal papers...) I am unable to find a definitive answer.

Is it the same place AMT got its IT-290 / 3-IT names from?

Does anybody have an answer (with references preferable, without better than nothing!) to the origin of any of these codes?

Also side note; long time reader (9 years?) and first post.... talk about lurking.

PD has always been the one for me though; the contributions of some of the guys here to erowid (and it goes without saying bluelight) is outstanding; my hats off to mgs and xorkoth who's endeavours & TRs have been most fascinating over the years.

Where's the reference for DET being called T-9? That's a new one to me.

Where's the reference for DET being called T-9? That's a new one to me.
In it's tihkal entry:

#3. DET

TRYPTAMINE, N,N-DIETHYL; INDOLE, 3-[2-(DIETHYLAMINO)ETHYL]; N,N-DIETHYLTRYPTAMINE; 3-[2-(DIETHYLAMINO)ETHYL]INDOLE; T-9

Also on it's wiki page and some old papers from the 50s. Can't find the paper it first appeared in although it appears to go way back to pre 1920s which means human knowledge of it's existence is longer than that of DMT :O

So the obvious follow up is what's t1, t2 ...t[n] ?

I guess t1 is simple tryptamine itself. The rest is all up for speculation.

Last edited:
Are you interested in speculating? What made you ask about this in particular after 9 years of lurking (don't get me wrong you are very welcome here), it seems inconsequential? It is a bit of a mystery I'll give you that...

But then riddle me this: why is DET called T-9 in the TiHKAL cookbook, but something like DMT which is pretty sure to come before DET in a list of permutations, is not called T-5 or something like that?

just curious ;)

It-290 was a code name for aMT. I tried to find the source where I read it, but could not. I know Ken Kesey referred to it as IT-290, so maybe it was from Menlo Park Veterans Hospital. The 3-IT name for aMT is I believe a more chemically routed name, as 5-IT is a positional isomer of aMT.

I think it's probably just a weird street name, then.

If my memory serves me right, T9 was used by internet vendors as a street name for DET in Sweden, where it was released as a part of the "blue mystic" 1, 2, 3, etc. series, ie. random then-legal tryptamines and phenethylamines pressed into pills, capitalizing on the initial succes of the first blue mystic, 2c-t-7. Someone else might chime in and correct me on this, though.

If my memory serves me right, T9 was used by internet vendors as a street name for DET in Sweden, where it was released as a part of the "blue mystic" 1, 2, 3, etc. series, ie. random then-legal tryptamines and phenethylamines pressed into pills, capitalizing on the initial succes of the first blue mystic, 2c-t-7. Someone else might chime in and correct me on this, though.

I dont think so as the name appears in books from 1967... possibly even earlier.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=t...involume&q=t-9

Unfortunately there isn't a full copy available on the internet. Not that I can find anyway.

EDIT:
Ah yes here is the 1957 paper which is the earliest reference to the t-9 nomenclature that I have found so far.
http://bitnest.ca/external.php?id=%2...1%251E4yf%2515

Somewhat off topic as well; if anyone knows where the Hoffman & Troxler paper or patent for 4-PO-DET and 4-HO-DET are I would love to see them too.

Last edited:
Well there's a T2000 I saw in a movie once, but I think that movie was about steroids, not psychedelics.

T-9 could have been the army's Edgewood Arsenal codename for DET. That's my best guess anyway.

Are you interested in speculating? What made you ask about this in particular after 9 years of lurking (don't get me wrong you are very welcome here), it seems inconsequential? It is a bit of a mystery I'll give you that...

But then riddle me this: why is DET called T-9 in the TiHKAL cookbook, but something like DMT which is pretty sure to come before DET in a list of permutations, is not called T-5 or something like that?

just curious ;)

Hmm guess I'd go (vague guess at chronological order?)

t1 tryptamine
t2 tryptophan
t3 serotonin
t4 melatonin
t4 dmt
t5 bufotenin
t6 psilocin
t7 psilocybin
t8 not really sure what fits in here... seems most other other tryptamines came after DET)
t9 det

Anyway... completely off topic here.

Anyone got any leads on t-9 or the cey-19 / cz-74 papers? I have a feeling the latter will aid the former...