• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Syringe stuck in arm

Bestbess

Greenlighter
So ive been shooting heroin for 3 yrs now. This is my first time getting a spike actually stuck in my arm(the other time this happened the tip was sticking out so i was able to retrieve it myself with no problems) i used a short tip 30gauge spike. Its now in my arm and the skin has formed over it. Any advice other than go to the er or stop doing drugs would be appreciated. Anyone have the same experience??

I had a 30g x 7/8" needle break off in the crook of my arm and went to the ER. The doctor on duty made several deep cuts and took 4 x-rays and still couldn't retrieve it. Luckily it migrated to the layer of fat just over the muscle and has not bothered me in the 11 years since.

On the other hand I've heard of horror stories of needles migrating through the circulatory system or tearing into veins and puncturing proximal arteries during exercise so it's a crap-shoot really. Trying to go after it yourself usually just makes it worse unless you can perceive its location exactly.

At the ER they can start off with an Xray and you can decide if you want to proceed from there. Even though I got butchered I was glad I went to the er anyways as the x rays showed it wasn't partially in the vein with a possible impending tear/ bleed.

Thanks. Its been a couple hours since it happend. I dont feel sick or like i have a fever and its not causing any pain. I did call the er n the nurse said to come in cause the worst that can happen is infection. Really all they can do rn is take an x ray which they might not even . Im pretty sure all they can do is give me antiobiotics if i have infection(which i have had before and i dont feel that way rn) my arm sore tho but im thinking prob from jamming it in over and over. Thanks for the help tho

I read a thread a couple weeks ago where someone had this happen and they said they used a magnet to fish if it out.

The stainless steel alloy used in needles is barely magnetic. I tried to pick up a 27g x 1 1/4" (large) needle with a 60lb neodymium rare earth magnet and it only made it twitch unless I was right up on it and even then it couldn't pull it out of say jello.