• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Symptoms of a Permanent Amygdala Hijack?

Aetherius Rimor

Bluelighter
Hypothetically speaking what would be the effects of someone experiencing a permanent Amygdala Hijack at a very young age, say 5 years old?

For example they experienced a trauma that resulted in them becoming terrified of everything, never feeling safe and viewing every situation they couldn't confidently predict the outcome of as a life or death situation; resulting in a permanent Fight/Flight/Freeze response loop.

How would this affect their behaviors, cognitive functions and conscious perceptions?

Last edited:
Without looking up anything, this sounds exactly like me. I have this child-traumatized freeze loop which fucks up my life. I'm only really free while on drugs which sucks ass. Meds don't really help, they just induce more damage and dependence.

I mean, an fMRI might reveal an oversized amygdala. We can't really connect things like that at this point, but we could say that it might be probable. THat said, it's not permanent. The brain has a lot of adaptive potential. It's hard to break those cycles, but they definitely can be broken with the proper therapy.

If you're going through something like that, then reach out for help and things should get better.

You pretty much said it. They would be scared of things that most people don't give much of a thought to. They look noticeably stressed in normal situations. Excessive sweating and talking perhaps. Darting eyes. It depends on the person. They are less able to reason through these situations, so their cognition is hampered. What they would basically perceive is overwhelming fear. It's hard to do, think, or perceive anything else when one's in that state.

This could be moved to MH.

benzo and you will block the cables that link Amygdala to OFC (so just NAC and other parts that linked to OFC will able to modulate your behaviors) so you cant experience fear (bad version of confidence in self you know it as disinhibition)
How am I supposed to understand this?

I mean, an fMRI might reveal an oversized amygdala. We can't really connect things like that at this point, but we could say that it might be probable. THat said, it's not permanent. The brain has a lot of adaptive potential. It's hard to break those cycles, but they definitely can be broken with the proper therapy.

If you're going through something like that, then reach out for help and things should get better.

You pretty much said it. They would be scared of things that most people don't give much of a thought to. They look noticeably stressed in normal situations. Excessive sweating and talking perhaps. Darting eyes. It depends on the person. They are less able to reason through these situations, so their cognition is hampered. What they would basically perceive is overwhelming fear. It's hard to do, think, or perceive anything else when one's in that state.

This could be moved to MH.
Thank you for your response.

Would they become desensitized to that Fear in a way that they no longer feel the emotion; but still experience the physical effects of it?

For example: Unexplainable and consistent trembling/visible shaking from the Fear when in Safe environments.

So let me elaborate on my reason for this question. I'm describing myself. Doctors could never figure out why I was shaking, trembling or behaving the ways I did. I've never trusted anyone, including them, and will freeze or run from any situation I was unable to do predict the outcome of or approach cautiously only after creating a list of safety rules/protocols I followed strictly to protect myself.

I'm consciously aware of my fears but I never feel the emotion, even in legitimate life or death situations (been in a few).

Those situations are actually extremely calming because I "know what the threat is now" and I just calmly and confidently do whatever needs to be done to protect myself and those I Love. But I go to great efforts to avoid them because I'm terrified of myself or someone I love getting hurt.

I've had numerous people suggest I'm Autistic, a Narcissist or a Psychopath (depending on their assumptions about my true motives and intentions, and their knowledge of my past); or they think I'm Schizophrenic if they read my poetry/creative writings.

All I know is I felt trapped in my mind most my life watching, simulating and creating rules to stay safe because while I don't "feel" the fear but I know I'm terrified of everything even if I rationally know I'll be okay.

I'll freeze or run away reflexively as if by instinct the moment anything unexpected happens and I can't control it. I can't control the words I speak either when people are around as well; I watch myself say whatever the safest thing to say is unless I've rehearsed and prepared to say something ahead of time.

I can control my words completely when I write though, so I usually write to people I'm close with instead of speaking. 🤷‍♂️

I'm unable to trust anyone and used to "test people" with strict rules about cutting people out of my life if they failed.

I mostly just stay home by myself and avoid everyone as much as possible now. I'm a software engineer that can work from home so it's not an issue.

I studied and observed everything I could with a "my life depends on this" mentality to the point that I can now predict how most situations will play out and how someone will behave in most situations. Relatively immediately after encountering them and with enough accuracy that I feel safe enough to do a lot of things now but they're all boring and feel like a movie I've seen a hundred times because I know how it will end.

Which I have no desire to see again because I'm terrified of the possibility I'm wrong and they end in a horrifying manner... which has happened plenty of times before.

So I'm bored, lonely, terrified and unmotivated; with thoughts and questions like these as my only entertainment and the hope I'll find someone who understands...

If I ever get a chance to get a brain scan; what else should I look for other than an oversized Amygdala?

I'll have to pay for anything I get out of pocket and explicitly tell ask the doctor questions; so what should I ask them and what type of scans might help identify what the hell is going on with my brain/Mind?