• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Swollen red leg, what just happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

star1980craft

Bluelighter
Hi, it's been many years since i was here so sorry if i get things a little wrong.

Anyway i was just wondering what happened when this reaction happens when someone is IV heroin.

Red slightly puffy patches all the way up and down the leg, hot to the touch. IV site is slightly painful still (about 30-40mins since the person tried this IV)
They was sure they were in the upper leg vein in the inner thigh, blood registered but half way through checked to make sure they was still registering but found no blood was there as they pulled back on plunger so pulled out after say about 0.4

Like i say there was a red blotchy patch all the way down the leg hot to touch, that is finally starting to go away but IV site is still tender. Antihistemine was given also. Actually red patches are gone now. Just the pain still here.

Person usually gets a rash from citric but this was a lot more than that.

Was this an artery by mistake or a nerve or what has happened here?

Thanks

Last edited:
If I had to guess I'd say some of the shot extravasated into the surrounding tissue making it a partial sub cutaneous/ IM shot.

From your description it could be several things but I'm going to guess Urticaria, or hives that come from the histamine release of H or morphine when it extravasates (a small miss or leak) at the site of injection.

Usually dissipates fairly quick but antihistamines can help if you notice excessive itching or redness.

Looks kinda like:

Without more info it's just pure speculation though and no substitute for medical intervention if you feel it's serious enough.

Seeing as there's no way to know for certain I have to close this as it falls under endless speculation. I hope everything is okay by now Star Craft.

---
If you ever feel your throat tightening up causing difficult breathing then it's anaphylaxis or a severe allergic reaction and help should be sought immediately.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.