• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Switching from Xanax to Xanax XR, Please Help!

Rmtrainer7

Greenlighter
I suffer from severe anxiety disorder and am going through a breakup with a guy I've been with for 7 years since I was 17! After all of that time he cheated on me (twice) with some 20 year old he's in college with (he's 27). Basically I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest every moment of every day. I was on regular xanax 0.5mg once a day, then they bumped it up to 0.5mg twice a day, now that this horrible situation of losing the man I thought I was going to grow old with has happened and my anxiety is through the roof (big time), they have given me a prescription of Xanax XR 2mg once a day. I guess it's supposed to work longer but I'm scared it won't help me as much as the two immediate release pills do.

Sob story aside: Does anyone know ANYTHING about switching from 0.5mg Xanax twice a day to 2mg Xanax XR once a day for SEVERE anxiety?

You all seem to know a lot, so I made an account just to ask you all for guidance.

Your getting a good deal chew half of the pill in the morning and half at night because the 24 hour myth its more like 16-18 ish.

24 hour myth

Your getting a good deal chew half of the pill in the morning and half at night because the 24 hour myth its more like 16-18 ish.

That's good to hear. My doc said to take it before I sleep and it will work for 24 hours. I thought that seemed like a waste because I don't want the strongest effects of it to be wasted while I sleep. I feel crazy during the day. Then i saw articles online saying it only acts for like 12 hours so I was already planning to disobey her and take it in the AM. I didn't even think of the idea of splitting it. I didn't even get them yet. I'm going to the pharmacy now and am planning to take it before work tonight to get me through that. Might try splitting it in the future if i notice it wearing off. I'll see if they are easily splittable.

First off, I'm sorry to hear about the breakup, I've been down that road before, and I'm not going to lie, its been over 2 years for me, and I'm still not back to 100% normal. So prepare for a long battle. OK, now about your meds, IR's are nice, because when a panic attack starts, you can take one and it will stop it in its tracks, however xr is supposed to prevent them from happening all together, so I would see how the new ones work for you, and if you're having anxiety and/or panic attacks, I would ask your doc to switch back to ir. As far as when your doc is telling you to take them, it seems a bit odd that he/she would have you take them before bed, but I personally won't suggest going against your docs orders.. if you have a slow metabolism, then it would make sense.

- Hopeless Soul

Btw I am on a slew of other meds. I'm currently in a psychiatric outpatient program at a hospital. Other meds are:

-54mg concerta (basically ritalin but slightly different) for ADHD
-10mg concerta (suplemental dose for evenings and to curb hunger from antidepressant)
-60mg remeron (SNRI for depression)
-1800mg gabapentin (a neural pain med used off label as an anti-anxiety med)

Yeah so basically I'm mental and working on it. You can probably guess that my issues have a great deal to do with my boyfriend wanting out of the relationship. What sucks is I was finally getting my shit together and improving and we were getting closer... Then I found out he cheated. He asked for "space" to think, so basically I'm not allowed to text or call him. Not officially broken up but I don't know if he will come to that conclusion. I'm in the dark and waiting for him to contact me. It's been a week. I'm in hell waiting and not knowing. I still love him more than any person or thing on this earth. I know I'm getting super off topic here and nobody probably cares but I needed to get that off my chest.

Got to go to work now. Still don't really feel anything from the XR xanax yet. It's only been 15 minutes. Don't know when they kick in. A regular xanax definitely would have kicked in by now. Will reply to all comments when I get off work. I appreciate any advice or whatever from any of you. Thanks.

-Rachel

I don't know what your personal life/relationship with him is like but maybe you should leave that guy. Sure you love him a lot and you will sad, but think about how much he hurt you by cheating, not once, but twice, if not more. If he doesn't value a 7 year relationship and goes ahead and cheats again, I would say he isn't worth your time. Once again its up to you. Spend some time doing what you love and maybe try and forget about him in a healthy way without using substances to get over it except the ones your prescribed without abusing them. Hope everything works out for you!

Pheew your doc has you on a shit ton of pills, no wonder you have to take the xanax before bed, that's the only time of the day you're not swallowing other pills lol jk x] I don't like telling people to go against their drs orders, but that is a lot of meds, but you know yourself better than anyone, so only you know if you need them all or not. Keep us updated on how effective your new xr's are.

- Hopeless Soul