• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Switching from vyvanse to Dextroamphetamine - some questions?

HvonKarajam

Greenlighter
Hi all

first some background, been on vyvanse for some time with disappointing results. Started on 30mg, but every time I took it I felt like I was rolling dice as effects would vary drastically day-to-day. Eg one morning could kick in within 30 minutes of dosing, the next day 2-2.5 hours. One day it could come and go in unpredictable 'waves'.

Tried increasing to 40mg with the same results.

The only time it was consistent was with higher doses (60-80), but, the first 30 minutes I would feel kind of high, followed by 7-8 hours of sort of improved focus and impulse control, then a big drop-off in effects aside from general stimulation, which was kind of unpleasant without the focus improvements.

Tried a number of things to mitigate this:

-Tums method: at first made it more powerful, but still no consistency, (a GP once speculated I have an 'acidic system' due to the fact that lacquer on metals I work with would deteriorate after prolonged contact.) Essentially just a stronger kick.

Effexor: Unsure of changes. Kind of feel on 75mg & 40mg vyvanse it may enhance the effects.

-magnesium: no observable differences

-B complex: no observable differences

-Curcumin/piperine + MCT oil: unsure, but possibly potentiates.

-L-Tyrosine: unsure, possibly potentiates.

-nicotine: added shakiness, anxiety, and its own mini crash so to speak

-caffeine: decent mood & motivation lift, but quickly went from one coffee while kicking in to steadily sipping multiple coffees throughout the day. Made hangover in the morning much worse

-ALA: more for my own difficulties with anti-psychotic induced metabolic problems

-Resveratrol: just for estrogen modulation

(last one I want to try is green tea due to presence of some protease inhibitors in the plant, and if I understand correctly they are potentiators)

(potentially would like to try abilify as well, but I have had very bad responses to antipsychotics (drug-induced delirium) so I'm hesitant)

SO, all that said, I took a 7 month break, and then started up on it again, with the same issues. Insurance threw a fit and now they want me on a generic, dextroamphetamine.

I meet with my psychiatrist this week, so I'm unsure of the dose/if IR or spansules, but I have several questions.

Anyone been on both and have a preference?
What kind of dosing schedule/dose should I hope for?
I need a full day's worth of effects, and if I'm reading correctly 3 doses IR a day seems common, but I have no idea about the spansules.
Is one formulation overall better than the other?
What differences in general can I expect?

One day I hope to try Mydayis, but insurance won't let it fly just yet.

Thanks all and sorry for the essay. Just really want this resolved so I can start working towards my goals.

Essentially Vyvanse is d-amphetamine (dexedrine). Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine and is what's know as a prodrug for d-amp. Because it is a prodrug, it needs to be taken orally because your body is what metabolizes the lisdexamfetamine (if you were just to try and snort the powder in a Vyvanse capsule, you wouldn't get any effects) into the stimulant Dextro-amp.

Bottom line is don't expect to experience any new side effects from the med switch. The only thing to look into is lisdexamfetamine to d-amp dose conversions so you don't lose out due to your doctor not taking that into account.

Really the only difference should be that it will kick in faster and more reliably, which it sounds like is what you're looking for.

It's going to be pretty similiar, the biggest difference I could see would be XR vs IR. I've been on Vyvanse, Adderall, Ritalin, and Focalin. Adderall and Ritalin I've been on IR and XR/SR/LA. If you still have lots off bad side effects and no improvement in the weird stimulating feeling after the focus wears off I'd reccomend focalin but be weary of the drop off, I've had 5mg Ritalin prescribed in the evening with Focalin in the day which killed the crash

Do you eat when you take it? I remember they wouldn't work or would barley work if i didn't eat right before I took it. In my opinion they felt better than meth does and had a much better rush.

Also i hated ritilan.

The difference will be noticable. if you have real Dex-amp the main difference is the amphetamine is already Aphetamine, whereas Vyvanse is metabolized INTO dextroamphetamines in your body i believe it also starts as L-amp don't quote me on that,regardless- meaning taking the already amphetamine has no need to metabolize, as soon as it hits your liver, you will begin to absorb it, and thus i find it more effective (stronger) but vyvanse is much smoother, whereas the amphetamine will definately give you a noticable kick (you can also try putting some under your tongue if you crush it, most amps don't taste like anything i personally use adderall once in awhile for 2-3 day binges and i preffer this method when i take smaller doses but sticking 20-40mg under the tongue just isn't really convenient

p.s. if you have xr (extended release) i think youd enjoy more the Instant release by Crushing the beads into powder and just swallowing that, as the extended just lasts way too long and if you take extra, its just ugh, yeah thats what ive got to add here - methamphetamines are the best amphetamines because you take much less and get much more reward for what youre taking thats my two cents

OP, this is actually not an uncommon situation for folks who take controlled-release stimulant preparations. Who knows why, but some people cannot handle the "waves" of stimulation that you are describing and just do better on a preparation with a more linear effect profile. You mentioned Mydayis, right? This is really just another controlled-release preparation for Amphetamines and I in fact, highly doubt that the effect is drastically different that the previous bullshit they've offered. It's just like when Adderall XR hit the market. It was revolutionary, unabusable and expensive!

Mydayis is almost certainly a text-book case of evergreening a pharmaceutical to enable them to profit off of a new patent. It's ridiculous and people are eating it up, literally. The main take-away here, is that you're having issues with the controlled-release aspect of your Amphetamines, than you really should push for a straightforward, possibly instant-release preparation.

made an error on which thread i was writing on before, controlled release is icky, and is supposed to release over a 8-12 hr period whereas if you think about it, if its released at the 12 hr mark, the half life is still 4-6 hours meaning half the drug is still only eliminated from your body after 16+ hours, so in general an xr pill lasts helllllaaaaaa long