• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Suvorexant (Belsomra)

I B Profane

Bluelighter
Does anyone on here have any experience with Suvorexant, aka Belsomra?

I was prescribed this (or rather, given a one month sample) today for sleep. I'm not able to find much about it on the Internet. Apparently it's similar to Ambien in it's effects, but works through an entirely different mechanism.

I went to see my psychiatrist today for a regular checkup. I'm currently prescribed Armodafinil for adult ADHD. I usually take it in doses of ~100mg, but I'm able to take up to 150mg per day if I need to. I don't take it more than 5 times per week. The Armodafinil works great for school and work, but it has the lingering aftereffect of insomnia that both weed and my Gabapentin prescription (900mg) haven't been able to crack. I've been taking .25mg of Clonazolam per night, but I have some hesitation about the long term sustainability of benzos especially if I'm using them strictly for sleep. I've been on and off various benzos for several years and I'm no stranger to their positive AND adverse effects.

Please tell me there's someone out there who has experience with, or even knowledge of, this medication. I have a sample pack of 20mg tablets. Thanks for reading everyone, and be well <3

Wicked drug!
I believe it was a mod, perhaps tricomb ( think thats how its spelled ) was saying they should release drugs for insomnia that lower alert inhibitors rather than increase inhibitors that slow down brain activity.

Gah, I might ask my doc about this, don't have one anymore but sleep has been a problem in my life for 3 years.

Given the lack of solid information available on the Internet, I can't exactly say I expected this thread to be bumpin, lol.

And yeah XANAX XR that's some pretty interesting stuff! According to Wikipedia, it's a selective dual orexin receptor antagonist. I believe orexin is involved in wakefulness? This info might be of more use to someone who is more well versed in neurochemistry than I am. :p

But I have taken this for 3 days now. And guys this stuff is incredible. I took 5mg on the first night, 15mg on the second night, and 10mg tonight. I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open, this stuff is so potent. My Armodafinil gives me insomnia that can't be helped even by benzos, dph etc. But this stuff knocks me out COLD. It gives me some very crazy dreams (think melatonin esque, for those who like melatonin dreams) and then waking up in the morning I kinda feel like a tree being uprooted from the ground, lol. This stuff is STRONG. But the next day feeling is the best part IMO. The 12 hour half life of this drug makes it so you're still feeling very chill the next day. It feels similar to the chillness of benzos, but maybe with less of a brain fog? It almost feels like a strange mix of barbituates, benzos, and Ambien XR.

I understand these are some pretty bold claims. But right now, I feel very lucky to be able to be prescribed this stuff. Not only do I think it could help me kick benzos for good, but they just don't make a medication that feels this awesome and then keep it around forever.

I have not pushed the dosage beyond 15mg. I know all too well how unpredictable Ambien blackouts are. There's no reason to take more than 20mg of this stuff imo and I would recommend starting with 5mg if you're a complete noob to sedatives or hypnotics, but don't start higher than 10mg no matter how well versed you think you are in any form of drug. I cannot stress how strong, but very relaxing these are. These would definitely be of interest to anyone who likes Ambien, benzos, barbituates, ghb, gabapentin/lyrica, phenibut, or misc. downers. But if you do choose to take this, PLEASE DONT COMBINE IT WITH ANYTHING! Very little is known about this chemical so if you want to potentiate it, just smoke some weed or something. But I wouldn't recommend taking it during the day, unless you feel like sleeping all day haha. A dose like 2.5 mg might be a nice thing to try out in public, but I'd make sure to have plenty of caffiene at the ready, heh.

So that has been my experience with this drug so far. Hey, downer fans, these may be of interest to you. Just saying. I did see one post on the Internet describing them as 'the quaaludes of the 21st' century. That's a pretty bold claim, but I've never taken luudes before, so what would I know? But for the love of god be responsible because the last thing we need is a super legit pharm getting banned.

With that I ask again: has anybody heard anything about this brand new drug? Or is there somebody on this board smart enough to piece together some of the pharmacological aspects which I'm definitely not an expert at, haha. But yo, XANAX XR, thanks for the response, and yeah maybe mention try mentioning it to your doctor if you feel so inclined. Also feel free to PM me with any questions, or ask them here.

According to Wikipedia, it's a selective dual orexin receptor antagonist. I believe orexin is involved in wakefulness? This info might be of more use to someone who is more well versed in neurochemistry than I am. :p

Orexin promotes wakefulness and (as the name suggests) hunger. In other words, whereas normal sedatives tend to make you feel sleepy and hungry, this one should make you feel sleepy and full, which sounds like a big plus for me.

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't noticed any decrease in appetite while taking these. Then again, I exercise regularly, smoke weed, and take gabapentin and benzos, so I'm pretty much always hungry lol. I do my best to eat healthy though :)

I can't say for sure one way or another if these would be helpful for weight loss. However, as far as sleep goes, they will most certainly get the job done. I'm a little wary of long-term usage, but if your insomnia levels are FUBAR, then these may be of great help.

So, still no interest in this completely new novel sleep med? I can't be the only one on OD who likes a good night's sleep, lol.

I haven't tried abusing this one. Apparently it can lead to Ambien-like blackouts. I'm staying with my parents for the next 3 weeks and don't feel like risking that, lol. But 10mg knocks me out cold better than everything I've ever tried, and I am no stranger to sedatives and hypnotics. I can stay awake on 2mg clonazepam no problem. But a single dose of 10mg has me asleep within about 20 minutes reliably. Plus it seems that, other than morning grogginess and some pretty weird dreams at the beginning, there haven't been really many side effects to speak of.

Aaanyone have any questions/comments/relevant experience/interesting fun facts/etc?

Alright well it's been a while, and not a single soul has chimed in with anything related to this new drug or it's pharmacokinetics. I seem to be the only human on Bluelight who has tried, or even has access to this medication.

And you know what? Good! This is easily the most effective sleeping med I've ever come across in all my years as a drug user, and I'll be damned if you fools use it irresponsibly and get it banned. Maybe it's best that this drug remains in relative obscurity. Nobody knows a thing about it, and I can't seem to get anyone interested in it, so that's probably a sign that I should be keeping my mouth shut about this amazing, amazing sleep med.

Nobody knows about it, so it's very sad that people with chronic insomnia will probably explore other options that are nowhere near as effective (benzos, z-drugs, antihistamines, etc.) But you all only have yourselves to blame for not listening to me. If you do get your hands on this awesome, awesome med, then please do use it responsibly. The people who need it cant afford to have it get banned due to stupid people being stupid. If, one or two years from now, I read about some fool taking like 100mg and then driving or something really dumb, I will punch that person's face in the face.

Alright well it's been a while, and not a single soul has chimed in with anything related to this new drug or it's pharmacokinetics. I seem to be the only human on Bluelight who has tried, or even has access to this medication.

And you know what? Good! This is easily the most effective sleeping med I've ever come across in all my years as a drug user, and I'll be damned if you fools use it irresponsibly and get it banned. Maybe it's best that this drug remains in relative obscurity. Nobody knows a thing about it, and I can't seem to get anyone interested in it, so that's probably a sign that I should be keeping my mouth shut about this amazing, amazing sleep med.

Nobody knows about it, so it's very sad that people with chronic insomnia will probably explore other options that are nowhere near as effective (benzos, z-drugs, antihistamines, etc.) But you all only have yourselves to blame for not listening to me. If you do get your hands on this awesome, awesome med, then please do use it responsibly. The people who need it cant afford to have it get banned due to stupid people being stupid. If, one or two years from now, I read about some fool taking like 100mg and then driving or something really dumb, I will punch that person's face in the face.

This is a really odd post... and a lot of people can not afford new brand name meds or even have access to them. I certainly can't get them at the VA. So my Valium and atarax combo is doing just fine atm.

I am glad it is working for you, IB. I have some interest in this drug as my wife has been on various benzos and Ambien for going on 10 years and still complains of sleep issues. However, I can think of at least 5 examples immediately of either new or first in class drugs being removed from the market due to serious adverse effects or interactions, so I will wait.

I do have a patient on it (I am a pharmacist not a doctor) and he is prescribed Ambien and Sonata as well. I spoke with his doctor and was told he has quite persistent insomnia even with the Belsomra so as with anything, it is not perfect. Next time I see the patient, I will ask his thoughts and update.

This is a really odd post... and a lot of people can not afford new brand name meds or even have access to them. I certainly can't get them at the VA. So my Valium and atarax combo is doing just fine atm.

Lol sorry for the arrogant dickishness, I was all out of benzos and raging. I wasn't quite sure how to get people's attention, and at least folks are talking about it now. :) The tone of my post wasn't directed towards one person in particular, mostly just towards those who research irresponsibly. It seems like any time a new drug comes out, some people get the temptation to take 10 times the recommended dose, black out and do something foolish, and get said drug banned - a huge, huge pain for the people who need it. Take benzos for example, I never abuse mine, but they're next to impossible to get (especially for someone who uses cannabis) due to their abuse potential.

You're prescribed a benzo and an antihistamine? Both of those can certainly do the trick in a pinch, but IME tolerance builds far too rapidly for them to be an effective long-term solution; particularly the antihistamine.

I am glad it is working for you, IB. I have some interest in this drug as my wife has been on various benzos and Ambien for going on 10 years and still complains of sleep issues. However, I can think of at least 5 examples immediately of either new or first in class drugs being removed from the market due to serious adverse effects or interactions, so I will wait.

I do have a patient on it (I am a pharmacist not a doctor) and he is prescribed Ambien and Sonata as well. I spoke with his doctor and was told he has quite persistent insomnia even with the Belsomra so as with anything, it is not perfect. Next time I see the patient, I will ask his thoughts and update.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I would suggest that your wife gives it a try, but if you're worried about side effects/interactions then truth is there's really not much solid information available online. The available information suggests that it carries the classic side effect profile of most z-drugs and hypnotics...not that helpful, I know. I have safely combined it with low, therapeutic doses of benzos, but I do have a tolerance to BZPs. I have not combined it with anything else, other than weed.

As far as your patient goes, holy cow is he on Ambien and Sonata at the same time? Two different z-drugs at once? AND Belsomra?? That's just nuts, I can only assume the lack of effectiveness is due to a tolerance for z-drugs. I have no doubt that people CAN stay awake on pretty much anything, but I've had chronic insomnia for many years and Belsomra is one of the only meds that consistently and reliably knocks me out like a light. Everyone's different, though.

Do you mind if I PM you with a few more specific questions? Do please keep us updated :) I'm getting my script renewed in a few days, and I'll gladly be the human guinea pig in the interest of both science, and nipping my insomnia issues in the bud.

Well, I have been using it for a year now same dose 10mg/night valium and 50 mg hydroxyzine/night. I have never increased the dose of either and I can still feel both. I think it was the addict in me in the past that always needed more more more. At first I thought that it had stopped working and I needed more, my doc promised me if I gave it time I would realize it is still effective even if you do not feel it strongly. So I did, and the more I said fuck it I will try to believe I realized it was working it just wasn't getting me fucked up. So I guess that is the trick. And BTW if you want to see how prehistoric the VA Formulary is check it out, hit Ctrl F to use the search function to look for names of meds. You will be surprised by how much it on there that is old and how little that is on there that is new.

http://www.pbm.va.gov/PBM/nationalformulary/VA_National_Formulary_June_2015.xls

I've been taking Belsomra for a few weeks now. This stuff is seriously strong, for me at least. With 10 mg I usually fall asleep despite chronic insomnia. With 20 mg some nights I have had to crawl to make it to my bed once it kicks in. With 40 mg, I experience sleep paralysis... scary stuff...half awake but can't move.

Main problem: with any dose I'm like zombie for at least the next day. 12 hour half life is a long time. Might try even lower doses, though, except with 40 mg, I find that I wake during the night and lie there in a fatigued daze, not having fun or getting any sleep.

Anyone had success with really low doses, like 2.5 or 5 mg?

I was just prescribed this. I have intense anxiety at night due to OCD which winds up my panic disorder. I am wary of taking it but I am also wary because the temazepam and xanax have pretty much stopped working. I can take 60mg of temazepam, and 2mg xanax and be functional. I am fairly afraid that this won't work as z-drugs don't work on me. I will give it a whirl in daytime while someone can make sure I am okay and do a trip report i think.

This is strange, there are two threads for this drug. One claims it is overtly useless, at virtually any dose in in the recommended range, while this one here suggests it is patently powerful in doses as small as 1/4 the maximum. I'll be interested to see how this evolves - because I too have gnarly insomnia, and take trazodone, which I would like to replace with something else (lots of side effects and w/d symptoms after long-term high dose use)

Thank you for the information. Ambient CR is not working for me anymore. And I can take a ton of Xanax and not go to sleep. I have had insomnia for 8 years and the best thing I ever took was Seroquel. But they only make Seroquel xr now and it doesn't work like it used to. So this was great info for me.

They still make Seroquel in the original form. Its available as a generic (in the US) as well.