• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suntanning while on Suboxone

Donewthislife

Bluelighter
Dont know if this should be posted in OD but I gave it a shot here anyway....

I went to the beach yesterday for a few hours and caught a nice little sunburn, mostly on my face. It wasn't too bad but, being that it was my first time laying out this year I didn't find it strange that I was red. As the night went on, my face became a little purplish in color. It still didn't hurt just a little hot. I'm a olive skinned person and I rarely get sunburn but, do tend to overcook myself the first time I tan. Well I woke up this am and my entire face was swollen, including my nose. It still didn't hurt but I have never had a reaction to the sun like that ever before. I know there are some antibiotics that advise no sun exposure (Cipro being one of them that I remember since I was given that for a diverticulitis), but didn't think Suboxone would be one of them. Has anyone had this experience before? I am a lot better now since I took some Benadryl and cold compress to lower swelling.

Hmm...I've never had this issue with Suboxone.

I am going to move this over to OD for you, I think it will get some more replies there.

BDD --> OD

I think this is something else, I just don't see the relation between suboxone and your symptoms here. Probably just some weird reaction that happened since its your first tan of the year.

I've never heard of it in connection with Suboxone and was able to find no medical literature that said anything at all about needing to avoid sun while on buprenorphine and/or naloxone or it making you more likely to burn. In fact, it was investigated as a possible treatment for sunburn. I think it's most likely that what you have is just a sunburn and heat rash caused by getting too much sun when you didn't already have a gradual base tan.

ETA: It is very common for a person to burn before they realize it and it often doesn't hurt until it gets dark out. It's possible that some opioids, as they can have pain-killing effects, would make you even more likely to not notice you had burned until it got really bad.

I'm on 16 mg/day of Suboxone and I've actually noticed that I've become much more sensitive to sunlight. I went for a brief walk the other day and it wasn't especially hot out. Upon returning home, I noticed that I had a sunburn. Incidents such as this have become far, far more common since I've been on Suboxone. I was planting my vegetable garden this weekend, and even while wearing sunscreen and proper clothing, I managed to get a nasty sunburn, despite the fact that the sun wasn't particularly intense. Suboxone can cause various skin problems, but I haven't found anything indicating that it causes sunburn. I'm going to be looking into this further.

I have for sure never heard of this, and if you had any type of reaction to suboxone, it would have happened long before this. Did you consider anything you may have ate before? or any type of drugs you took before? I am just thinking this could be something else. I dont think suboxone would have anything to do with this. get checked up~!

I have been burned BAD by the sun, while taking suboxone. I think it definitely makes one more sensitive to the sun's rays!