• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suitable antidepressant

Palmer-eldritch86

Greenlighter
My previous post was deleted, and I'm a little surprised. While I maybe came across as low-brow, it was a serious request for help. I've been prescribed numerous SSRIs, all of which have produced undesirable effects. I am looking for an alternative that won't reduce my dihydrocodeine impact while simultaneously not turning me into a mega-depressive recluse.

My thread was closed without explanation, though I was accused of looking for hints to coerce my doctor into prescribing something for me, and that's absolutely not the case. I just hoped someone would recommend a drug to me that I could then bring to me doctor as a suggestion. I wasn't wanting autosuggestion techniques to get her to prescribe xanax!

This is a genuine request for advice as I'm in a bit of a limbo scenario. Amitryptaline is something I've considered. Does anyone have any experience of that? My depression has increased significantly in the past few weeks and I've been reduced to hiding the tears from my family and desperation. I'm sure others here have been there and can offer some alternatives to SSRIs and SNRIs.

hey, i'm sorry if you feel your post was unjustly cut short - please check out the BDD Guidelines if you need further clarification;
specifically number 3 on the disallowed subjects section.

so sad to hear about your struggle with depression, but which is more important: your codeine or your mental health?
its possible that your addiction/dependence may be causing you to experience these depressive feelings, and the codeine may possibly be interfering with the anti-d's you were prescribed in the past.

i had to cycle through quite a few SSRIs/SNRIs/etc before i found my 'golden ticket' as it were - it sucks, bad, but its the only way to figure out which one works best for you.
after about 5 different prescriptions i settled on Sertraline which doesn't give me any of those shitty side effects. have you tried it? i also found that mirtazipine worked really well for me aside from the fact that it made me insanely hungry all the time. its really good for sleep in lower doses too.
amitryptaline is a pretty old one, first generation or such and such and as such has all kinds of crazy side effects. by all means yh give it a go

Last edited:
Ok, you can dis-consider Amitryptaline. Talk to me about how you feel pleasure in your daily life. What's your pleasure? How do you please yourself aside from getting high on codeine? Any particular activities or things you do? Sex life ok?

^ yeah, you really shouldn't let the codeine get in the way of your health.
have you tried any of your anti-d's sans codeine? perhaps that is the malcontent.
or maybe you just need more blowjobs or somethign.

BL tends to shy away from recommending specific drugs as everyone's physiology is different and what works well for one individual may not work at all for another. So it's best to be frank when describing symptoms to your doctor, so that an appropriate diagnosis can be made, and your doctor should discuss treatment options - which are more complex than "take this pill and call me later". Maybe it is simple depression, maybe it is malnourishment of some sort, maybe it is low testosterone. There are lots of variables to consider and "depression" is a bit of a catch all symptom that doesn't have just one solution.

It is also worth keeping a holistic view of your life: mental health does not exist in a vacuum. If you lack hobbies or other pastimes in your life, or lead a repetitive and unfulfilling lifestyle, no amount of chemical antidepressants can replace taking up a sport or hobby that gets your dopamine going naturally. Opiate usage doesn't really count as a hobby, either. :)

I'm afraid more blowjobs won't cut it...

My sex life has been extremely healthy while suffering symptoms of depression. I'm a musician, and composer. While I used to play in bands etc, I now have a home studio setup and regularly record here. I've just started composing music for film and computer games, whilst running my own business as my regular day job. The pressure on myself to succeed in the music industry, it could be said, is not helping my situation, but unfortunately the opportunities have come at a time when these opportunities have started to present themselves. I can't and won't turn them down, but when I'm being judged by a very successful composer who's deciding on which of my work is good enough or not, the pressure is high, and anxiety increased. Sertraline has turned me into a zombie, removing my creative spark which is one of the unsuitable side effects, but then, my overall drive in composing has been greatly reduced since this bout of depression has come back on. Due to family constraints, I'm also knackered ALL the time. Anyone with kids will know just how exhausting they are at the age of 2. I usually fit my music time in between the hours of eight and two in the morning, obviously worsening my exhaustion on days that I choose to write. Elsewhere I'm an avid reader of the occult and mysticism, but tend to avoid any practices that are paranoia enducing.

My business is a bit depressing at the minute. It's a post office/coffee shop/retail shop, and while I've been comfortably paid for most of the three years, I haven't been able to pay myself this month and things are becoming tight. This hasn't helped.

I've always suffered from depression though this time round, I have a family and don't want to drag them down with me. While riding the storm used to be an option, this time round I'd rather deal with it appropriately. Giving up codeine is not yet something I'm able or prepared to do - and I use work stresses as an excuse for that. I have been prescribed amitryptaline in the past with no real ill effects but it was a small dose for sciatica, before my GP moved me onto gabapentin. Talkingvtherapies may be best but the CBT I received was a little too on the nose. "Imagine a balloon floating up to the sky... blah blah blah" - ineffective for me and unfortunately for psychotherapy I believe there's a few more hoops I'll need to jump through to receive it on the NHS. I became disillusioned with my doctor when I pleaded for a drug with different side effects and they prescribed me something reknowned forbthe same effect whilst saying "this shouldn't come with the same problems".

Cheers

PE.

The antidepressants don't really interfere with the opioid receptor. I've taken several antidepressants while using vic and oxy for the past five years and had no interference. There is a newer antidepressant called Brintillex/Trintillex which is for people who haven't responded well to traditional antidepressants. I've been on that for awhile and would say that it's worked the best of all the treatments I have tried over the years.