News Suicide Hotline changes to 988

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
Hey y'all, so as the title says, the suicide hotline in the USA recently changed and now you can just dial 988. Imo, this is a better alternative to dialing 911, as a lot of time police aren't trained to deal with certain crises, and people end up getting hurt. That said, if you're feeling suicidal, you need to get help, whether its a hotline, reaching out to a friend, or the authorities. You can also text NAMI to 741741 to reach someone with the national alliance for mental illness.

I've made no secret that I've struggled with mental illness and addiction, like so many of us on this forum. One of the biggest things that's helped me out a lot has been doing what I can to help other folks that are struggling. I hope everyone here knows that I will always make myself available if you need someone to talk to, about anything, and I will keep whatever we talk about in confidence.

Whether it's me, or another person or friend, please don't be afraid to reach out if you're struggling. There's absolutely nothing to be afraid or ashamed of, and other people are your best resource a lot of the time.

(Just now realizing other people have already made this announcement earlier, but I think it's important enough news to warrant a double post)

Sending everyone here lots of love ❤️🙏✌️