Mental Health Suggestions concerning stimulants

tybo88

Greenlighter
I am currently prescribed 30mg Adderall Ir in the AM and another 10mg at 12. I'm a 28 year old male and have been diagnosed with ADHD and MDD although just recently I have found that a lot of my depression seems to have been caused by my inability to focus and when something depressing/anxiety inducing happens. My question is are there any other stimulate medications that won't cause the crazy rage that I experience in the evening once the Adderall wears off and in the morning before it kicks in? I stopped all antidepressants because none of them seem to have any effect on getting rid of the depression the way the stimulants have. Other ADHD meds that I've tried are Vyvanse, Concerta, and Adderall xr. I've tried explaining to my doc that it just doesn't seem like the Adderall lasts long enough and this just causes him to start suggesting other forms of antidepressants and stopping the stimulants and starting strattara which isn't something I would like to do because I feel like they help me wake up and motivate me to stay on task at work. I'm just at a loss as to what to do.

Have you looked into focalin? Most people seem to find it to be better tolerated than other methylphenidate formulations. Might be worth a last ditch effort. Some people I know have also had a lot of luck taking Wellbutrin while prescribed d-amp salts. It seems to boost focus and level out some emotional side effects. It made waking up a little easier for me for what it's worth.

As for the comedown, you should have a clonidine prescription on hand. It's not controlled or abusable so your psych won't blink. I'm prescribed benzos and other things with adderall IR, but I find that 0.2mg Clonidine works much better than 30 or 40mg valium.

I hear you on the depression. I've tried every anti-depressant in the book almost literally, but (sadly) even 10mg IR of d-amp makes me calmer and more open than anything besides the ketamine trials....

I'll have to talk to my doc about the Wellbutrin I was on it once before but not with the Adderall. I'll ask him about the clonidine too and see what he says. Getting prescribed any sort of stimulant was such a long and painful task because docs around me always seem to go to them as a last ditch effort. When I was last there I talked to him about switching to dexedrine but was shot down almost immediately because they don't believe in instant release medications, even though that's what they currently have me on just in Adderall form...

That's discouraging to hear about the dexedrine. I'd prefer to be switched to dexedrine IR instead of bumping my adderall IR at my ext appointment. I'm not sure why so many psychs seem to regard it like asking for desoxyn or something. I've tried dexedrine IR from a friend one day, and I don't find it to be more "abusable" than adderall salts, just a little smoother and less tension with an easier come-down. The only reason I can think is that a lot of pharmacies don't stock it, but that's just circular logic. oh well

Let us know if anything helps, I'm considering starting the two scripts in combination as well. Wellbutrin by itself just didn't do enough to justify taking it for my needs, but it definitely has worked much better as an adjunct to other meds.

ive taken every drug under the sun, acid, shrooms, x, liquid g, ketamine, valium,klonies, xanax, DMT ,methadone, oxy, hydrocodone, morphine, heroin, crack, coke, ghb, methaquualone(yes i got it way before hammilton from south afterica episode) and it was incredible,pcp, mda,mdma,2cb,2ct7,weed,....ect anyway i decided it was time to stop all this madness and start on a normal life, so i saw a dr who prescribed me methadone 40 mg a day for back pain, 120 2mg, xanax, and adderall.......30mg 3x a day and i wake up every morning happy to go to work.....i no longer drink...... i didnt even go out for new years and i found out i am a much happier relaxed person, easier to get along with but i wouldt give up doing all those drugs for 15 years for anything......they brought me to levels of life that only few will be able to experience, but i dont mind legally taking a benzo an ampethamine and a opiate every morning, cuz it helps me work in the IT field. This is the first time i have actually enjoyed going to work everyday. so if you meds work for you, keep with it.....i take my vitamins, work out and am in general like life a lot more now that i am on legal drugs, which can be dangerous, but im willing to take the risk..... :) happy 2017!