• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suggestion:Tapering off Benzo(bromazepam) with Rameron

circadianGene

Greenlighter
I am looking for expert opinion for tapering off Bromazepam(3mg) with Remeron. Searched the forums for
relevant posts but none found so my apologies if it is already discussed in detail.
In short am using Bromazepam(alternating 1.5mg/3mg) for over two years primarily for Insomnia
(highly stubborn, chronic and genetic). I have used AD(SSRI) 20 years ago and Insomnia is lifted
beautifully on AD's. Nowadays no significant exogenous depression(meaning mood wise, however insomnia is
telltale sign of depression) but my life has become standstill, no mental energy, impairment of executive functions.
Mental fog and anorexia. I want to get back on track, problem is with previous experience with AD's I have in
built strong resistance to be on AD. Sometimes I went to extremes to avoid AD such as fasting, Gluten free
diets and herbal concoctions. But frankly I am losing my war with Insomnia using alternative medicine tools.
So I have searched for AD which can help me with sleep and can be tapered off less painfully than Benzos. I have browsed Ashton's site for Benzos(http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm) and I believe even simple tapering is not possible with my case (30 years+ Genetic
insomnia) if I don't replace Benzo effect with other medicine,supplement, Vitamin, Lifestyle change etc.
Is Remeron good candidate for me? I have not used TCA before.

Last edited:
Being that you've been on bromazepam for 2 years, (correct me if I misread that) I think a taper would be a good idea. You wouldn't have to follow the Ashton exactly like that but you could gradually take less benzos while introducing mirtazapine. You may be a good candidate for this medication because of your anorexia and it does make many people want to eat. Is your doctor on board with this plan?

Thanks Calderone. Before talking to my Doctor , I am doing research online. Yes I have been on Bromazepam for over two years. You know most of the psy doctors are clueless about medications. I fear AD's for their personality altering effect, emotional stunting apart from their physiological side effects. During last few years I have tried lots of non-drug interventions with some degree of success. Deep down I feel strongly that war on mental illness can be won without drugs no matter how severe is the illness. It is sometimes you have to tactically retreat to mount the assault again.

It's my personal opinion that Mirtazapine (Remeron) isn't a suitable medication in its own right for dealing with Benzodiazepine withdrawal. It can be useful for producing sleep and stimulating appetite, but these are just two of the myriad symptoms you could potentially experience throughout your withdrawal cycle.