• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Suggest a psycho-pharmacology textbook you've personally used?

Engage

Bluelighter
Or how else do you learn stuff... outside BL?

Bought this one:
51GzVURgdaL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Psychopharmacology-Behavior-Jerrold-S-Meyer/dp/0878935347
But it seems pretty lame, vague, lumps Inhalants,GHB and Steroids all together in one chapter.
Goes on and on about the dangers w/out seeking to minimize them by educating about smart use.

Suggest a book! Please...

Define 'stuff', what is the emphasis? For me it's chemistry which is why 'An introduction to medicinal chemistry' is a nice textbook on pharm for me.

A good modern psychopharmacology textbook seems to be lacking - big opportunity for someone to write one?

I've been meaning to ask a similar question, looking for recommendations for a good modern discussion of.. neuropharmacology I guess. I would like to learn more about topics like these:

-How are new pathways formed in the brain? As in, how does learning happen, how are neural networks trained, on a chemical/biological level?
-How do new synapses form, how do old synapses get trimmed?
-Brain anatomy and function.
-Role of the different neurotransmitters.
-What are the different ways that drug tolerance happens?
-How receptor sites work, how they are grown by the neuron, when and why are they grown, how (if) they are removed, when and why..

Stuff like that. Wikipedia seems great for learning this stuff, but sometimes there is so much detail in there that it's hard to see the forest for the trees. But maybe that is just the nature of the subject, it's certainly complex and on the edge of science's understanding!

Maybe this question would be best for Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion?

Thanks for any tips

Or how else do you learn stuff... outside BL?

But it seems pretty lame, vague, lumps Inhalants,GHB and Steroids all together in one chapter.
Goes on and on about the dangers w/out seeking to minimize them by educating about smart use.

Suggest a book! Please...

I actually thought that book was fine. Just ignore the slightly judgmental and valuating comments and you have a lot of science, you know what they are. There's a lot of information on what happens chemically that I think is very important and reasonably detailed. This is such a controversial subject that it happens and I think we can just realize that and ignore what we have an issue with.

But rhodium and just reading individual papers. I started with Nichols review on Hallucinogens and have read a couple other things I've heard of. Like if I read a news article that mentions some new study I like to read the study.

Reading anything of length, online, really hurts my eyes and head. It wasn't always this way but alas... now it is. Not near sightedness or anything, just eye strain.

Wish someone (loompanics or their modern day equivalents) would collect the various relavant info and studies, with a glossary, into a nifty volume set.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mapsmdma/videos

^theres a LOT of good information in there. Particularly the 4 part series called "neuroscience of psychedelics" even has a lot of unpublished data that David Nichols found relevant to the presentation. He's a good teacher. I know they're not books, but they're quite educational.

"the dream drugstore" is a good book on drugs, dreaming and altered states with a slight emphasis on the science, not really scientific but good for the general reader