• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Sugar Binges During Detox

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi there

Does this happen to anyone else? Have a voracious hunger for sugary foods (cereals, cookies, chocolates, ice cream, etc.). Salty foods don't do the same for me.

I thought this only happened with methadone detox. I'm going through my 15 days without opioids (cold turkey method) and every day is worse. I think I have easily gained 3-5 kilos and now with the New Years Eve it will be worse. :cry:

I allways lost few kilograms in the first week or two as I didn't have appetite. Not to mention vomiting and shits. It differs from opioid to opioid and from level of severity but I never had a problem like yours. Are you possibly using some comfort meds like pregabalin that have munchies as side effect?

I allways lost few kilograms in the first week or two as I didn't have appetite. Not to mention vomiting and shits. It differs from opioid to opioid and from level of severity but I never had a problem like yours. Are you possibly using some comfort meds like pregabalin that have munchies as side effect?

Yeah, the first 3 days I didn't have an appetite either (mostly from the depression and insomnia) but then it was the opposite.
I'm detoxing tramadol almost 2 grams a day (!!!), I don't know if this influences, maybe?
The only med I took was clonazepam 3 or 4 times, 0.5 - 1 mg
I think it's something more psychological perhaps, since sugary foods also release endorphins or serotonin. I hope Im not replacing one addiction with another.

I don't have a good answer as only one I have is the one you laid out. Never the less - good job man.

P.S. Just remember old saying: " It's better to eat cookies than drink piss!"🤣

i would get it massively once the gastric wd symptoms were easing. i think its because while you're using you don't eat properly. when you're starving your body craves the easiest energy, sugar.

Its actually more brutal in alcohol withdrawal. Your sugar levels are already low, plus the cravings for dopamine.

I notice that my appetite is greater for high-glycemic foods after drinking a couple of beers or wine. I didn't know about the low sugar, so now it all makes sense.

I drink loads of coke during detox but don't eat for the first three days because can't keep anything down

But besides Soda, don't you notice a greater preference for sweet or sugary foods? Snickers bars or somethig like that hahaha

But besides Soda, don't you notice a greater preference for sweet or sugary foods? Snickers bars or somethig like that hahaha
during my 13 years on brown i ate shit loads of sugar imean after every smoke a mars bar 7 sugars in coffee but during wd i crave limes i quartar them and put salt on them and eat them loads i get through 13 odd limes a day this carry on for 5 6 days then the craving for limes stops. Must be a need for vitamin c happens every wd coke and limes

Sugary food and specially the combination of fat and sugar acts similarly to addictive drugs. There are quite a few studies about that, IIRC binging on sugar releases endorphines and can even alter the expression of opioid receptors (mainly MOR) as well as dopamine receptors in some areas of the brain, pretty much like opioids.
Maybe your brain is trying to compensate for the lack of exogenous opioids.

Consider excercising, besides the numerous health benefits it also helps the brain regulate your opioid receptors in a good way.

Sugary food and specially the combination of fat and sugar acts similarly to addictive drugs. There are quite a few studies about that, IIRC binging on sugar releases endorphines and can even alter the expression of opioid receptors (mainly MOR) as well as dopamine receptors in some areas of the brain, pretty much like opioids.
Maybe your brain is trying to compensate for the lack of exogenous opioids.

Consider excercising, besides the numerous health benefits it also helps the brain regulate your opioid receptors in a good way.

Yeah man that's exactly what's happening to me I even forget about opioids a bit when I eat sugar. Unfortunately, for now I don't have much energy to exercise.