• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Sufficient decarbing time and temp?

AwakeningCT

Greenlighter
So, I decarbed an oz of cannibis at about 220 degrees for 40 minutes in order to make tincture. The cannibis is now sitting in alcohol and will be for several weeks. I am concerned the time and temp for the initial decarbing of the weed may not have been hot enough or done for long enough. But then again some recipies don't even call for decarbing. Thoughts?

I didn't see you post this when I replied in your other thread so I'll paste here...

That sounds standard to me. If the bud is "snap" dry, meaning when you bend a piece it snaps in two fairly easily then yes, 40min@220 should work well. I would only decarb longer/hotter if the bud was "wet". I think the last decarb I used on standard bud was 30 min @225, and I've seen others use a similar recipe.

I have noticed some people on this forum using higher/longer temps/times to get a different effect, HERES AN EXAMPLE

So you can see that people have different recipes for decarbing as well and for good reasons.

Unfortunately I think the kief your friend pitched in was probably a waste if it wasn't decarbed (hopefully it wasn't that much?). Even though decarb recipes can differ from person to person, most will agree that decarbing IS necessary for a proper edible/tincture. However there is another side to this coin.

Other side to this coin: I don't see many people talking about (mostly cause it doesn't get you high), and that's using THCA and CBDA and other precursors to cannabinoids as medical benefits. Many people claim Juicing to be medically beneficial.

Good talk.