• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Sudden allergy to opiates after pregnancy?

JagrPens

Bluelighter
I've taken Vicodin or Percocet throughout the years on and off. I had a baby a few months ago and was okay with the pain meds after birth but now, four months later, I took two 10/325 hydrocodones and got hives that night that went away the next day. A few days later I took one 7.5/325 oxycodone and broke out later that night in hives all over my stomach and arms. It lasted for 2-3 days.
Has anyone heard of developing an allergy to opiates? Will I have this forever if I ever take a pill again? I heard that this can happen after having a baby--the development of allergies but can't find anything online.

Longtime lurker, I created a profile just to answer you, JagrPens. I had exposure to just about all the normal (US) E.R. narcotics, and repeated exposure to codeine (syrup) for repeated/chronic pneumonia and bronchitis. Never had an allergic reaction. My husband is allergic to codeine, had hallucinations and everything. I think our second child is allergic to codeine, after I had her I developed a damn near anaphylactic allergy to codeine ( head to toe rash, stripped naked, I didn't think it was "irrational" to do so when I was itching so badly I was using a door frame to scratch my back like a damn bear. Lol). There is considerable mixing of blood ( and antigens) thru the placenta, to the point there have been documented cases of fetal stem cells repairing damaged maternal heart tissue. Most ppl think I'm crazy, "I caught an allergy from my kid". My allergy progressed to a morphine allergy as well (codeine partially metabolizes into morphine). I just didn't want you to think this was a fluke/impossible thing you are experiencing. I'm not positive but I think both hydrocodone and oxycodone are a combination of opium/thebaine derivatives and synthetic opioids. You may only be allergic to one or the other, but need to tread carefully in trying to figure out which. Good luck, and congratulations on the baby!

Are you using a different type of opiate (made by a different manufacturer?) If so, maybe they use a different ingredient you might be allergic to? Just throwing idea's out there. Did you take any Benadryl or anything like that to help it go away? When I used IV heroin, id sometimes have a local reaction (like what you had) where I'd get hives and stuff around the injection site, once I took Benadryl, it went away.

I attempted a second exposure months later, tiny dose. It still caused the same type of reaction. I'm aware of mast histamine dump type thing but this wan so far beyond just "itchy". I later had an IV dose of morphine and within a three count I had a horrible and amazing rash from the IV to my neck. The nurse actually ran to get IV benadryl and zantac. They don't acknowledge this cross contamination(?) during the parturation or simply bc of the pregnancy. Its much like the RH issue.